Eric Sykes Tribute

ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
Forum Member
Surprised that no TV channel has shown a tribute yet to the late great Eric Sykes...

ITV has the rights to The Plank - surely they could show this...
BBC could repeat episodes of the classic sitcom Sykes...

I know GOLD has just finished showing the series (at 6:30am!) but the man deserves a better tribute.

Comments

• DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Agreed
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll add my name to that too.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone think Sykes went downhill after Richard Watiss died, it just seemed to miss him Miss Rumbelow was not an adequate replacement. I thought the last episode with the BBC director general was quite bizarre but how appropriate was it that it was the last episode.

It always seemed to me as the 70's grew on Hattie seemed to become a more distant character and seemed to have become more simple and used the vacant stare more than in the early 70's shows, the vunerable look.

Great though that Sykes is still relevant, the tramp episode with it's play on human rights is so appropriate today as it was then.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ccb2011 wrote: »
    Surprised that no TV channel has shown a tribute yet to the late great Eric Sykes...

ITV has the rights to The Plank - surely they could show this...
    BBC could repeat episodes of the classic sitcom Sykes...

I know GOLD has just finished showing the series (at 6:30am!) but the man deserves a better tribute.

Perhaps they're putting a special together rather than shove something on.
  • Mr.HumphriesMr.Humphries Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could show 'Curry and Chips'. :p
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't know why they haven't shown any tributes to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a great man and I was lucky enough to get a personal letter from him some years ago after I had written to him thanking him for helping in my recovery from a serious illness. I was watching the Peter Seller episode of Sykes and it did me more good than all the drugs in the world.

He was one of the true gentlemen of showbusiness and worth his weight in gold.

He will be sadly missed and I agree they should put a tribute on with some of the wonderful shows and films he was in.

Lets not forget the filmed stage production of Big Bad Mouse with Jimmy Edwards which is somewhere in the BBC archives if I remember correctly.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC took quite a long time to get out a tribute to David Croft so it's par for the course.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there will be one, but the scope and volume of his work might well mean that they feel they can do a better job by making a proper tribute programme and perhaps showing a couple of his shows alongside it - that's the sort of thing BBC4 could well do but obviously putting it all together takes a bit of time.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC do usually prepare a proper tribute rather than rush to put something together quickly. Might be easier to get cooperation from close friends and family rather than pester them soon after a famous person dies.

In some cases they have done a special evening on BBC2 that include a tribute and some stuff from the archives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote here for the plank! Classic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His performance on Hattie's "This is Your Life" is outstanding.
    In all the conveyor belt rush of hello, how nice, thank you so much, lovely to see you, Eric's deliberately slow pace is a terrific tease.

One could say that he shows surreal humour in the prog or one could say the opposite -- that he's the only one with his feet on the ground in the version of Hattie's life that is presented there.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The BBC took quite a long time to get out a tribute to David Croft so it's par for the course.
    But they also rushed out a rough and ready tribute to DC by rerunning some classic episodes. The considered tribute then came later.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the Olympic coverage taking up a large chunk of the schedules, I don't thin that there would be too much of an opportunity to in fit a few classic episodes, never mind that they would be likely to get lost amongst the Olympic stuff (resulting in people complaining that the BBC should have put them on at a better time, post-Olympics).

Assuming of course that they either have the necessary rights for such a repeat, or can quickly negotiate such rights with the rights holders.
  • crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ink171 wrote: »
    Another vote here for the plank! Classic!

And one from me. When it first came out I had just bought my first VCR & it was the first thing I ever recorded
    Still have it somewhere must dig it out
    So funny:)
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Newsnight are.....

No, then again, probably not.

Would be good to see a tribute to Eric Sykes.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ccb2011 wrote: »
    ...ITV has the rights to The Plank - surely they could show this...

Not sure that this is true, Thames made a version in 1979, so its unlikely that itv has the rights for that. The 1967 version was made by Associated London Films, it is unclear to me who owns the rights.