Do you eat your 5 a day?

LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a rubbish diet - I don't even eat 5 in a month. Anyone else?

Comments

• Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what fruit is coke made from?

i probably get mine from that.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do, I'm a type 1 diabetic so I eat pretty healthily anyway and I LOVE fruit and veg.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes but 4 of them are spuds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    No....
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I do.............I started a few years ago with fruit and I'm gradually getting vegetables in as well

Like today I've had............an apple, a raw carrot, handful of grapes, my main meal of the day was a veg curry made with peas, celery, cabbage, garlic, ginger and potato (which for some reason doesn't count !)
  • MayfairBlueMayfairBlue Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    I have a rubbish diet - I don't even eat 5 in a month. Anyone else?

OP, welcomed thread and appreciated.

I do tend to get the vegetables in my system throughout the week, but I don't think it's quite the 5 a day as I've not been in the habit of eating fruit.

This should hopefully change as the start of Feb, I'm joining a new gym, so will look to alter a few of my bad habits.

I've just put a link here as well out of interest.:cool:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Whatcounts.aspx
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Its all a big con this 5 a day. Who decided it was 5 a day and how did they come to that decision?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    At least 5 a day.

I don't eat fruits at all, but i love vegetables - and eat loads of them, except potatoes.
  • stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I do eat a good amount of vegetables and some fruit, particularly in summer, but whenever I look at how much the 5 a day should be I realise im not having enough. I usually have a good potion of greens for dinner along with a root vegetable or salad. I grow veggies but mainly in spring/summer, that definitely helps as it encourages me to eat them, seems to taste nicer when youve grown them and they are freshly picked. I need to eat more fruit though, especially in the winter months I tend to be less interested in whats around - the best thing is to make a fruit salad, I always find I end up eating more that way especially if it has icecream with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to eat very healthily and would easily eat more than five a day.

But at the moment I'm working awkward shifts at work so I'm definitely not getting my five a day at all :( I've had too many months of eating ready meals or sandwiches. I can't take hot food to work and there's always bread in the house even if there's nothing else so sandwiches usually end up being my dinner if I'm working backshift.

Fortunately in a few months I'll be back to normal and I can't wait to start eating better again :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually get my five and then some. I only have meat a few times a week, so some meals are entirely based around vegetables. I find it's easy to get a few of servings at one meal if you try keep potato, at least in its unhealthier forms, off the plate. Meals like curry, where veg is an integral part and not just an afterthought, are great for getting some extra portions of veg.
    Its all a big con this 5 a day. Who decided it was 5 a day and how did they come to that decision?
    It's a marketing campaign. There's no evidence to suggest 5 is the magic number, other than when it comes to fruit & veg it's generally the case that 5 is better than 4 that's better than 3, and so on. Five is memorable and perhaps an achievable target. Different countries have different figures and suggestions, so it's not the definite way. Some science has supported five a day, but this research came after the initial campaign.

All that said, the health benefits of vegetables and fruits aren't in doubt. There's lots of statistical proof that diets rich in fruits & veg are much less likely to lead to the Western pack of diseases: heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers and stroke. Just because the figure of five isn't a scientifically significant number, it doesn't mean the idea should be ignored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, most days.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Farmers thought up five a day to sell more stuff.

Mind you the prices are disgustingly high and need to come down.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in winter, but in summer I get closer to it thanks to salads. I'm not hugely keen on fruit - juices are fine.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I eat a fair bit of salad. Whether it's enough for 5 a day I'm not sure, probably not.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    No I tend to have 3 maybe 4 a day. But I eat a lot more in the Summer, I love nothing better than picking at fruit(especially Raspberries and Strawberries) or salads. Winter is a bit different I find myself eating a lot less fruit and veg.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I don't count. I just know I do eat fruit and veg regularly. It's just an arbitrary number for people to get anal about.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Yes, I would say most days I manage my five a day.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment yes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I probably don't even have 5 a week!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, sometimes I don't even have 2 a day! I don't like salad, I'm fussy when it comes to veg and I have to really fancy fruit. But I do eat a lot of soup and do little cheats like adding spinach to pasta
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member

No idea, it sounds like one of the slogans from chairman mao's little red book.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Yes I do, I'm a type 1 diabetic so I eat pretty healthily anyway and I LOVE fruit and veg.

I've always eaten a lot of fruit, certainly for a lot longer than the "5 a day" mantra was introduced.

I always have an apple and a couple of oranges as part of my lunch, sometimes a banana too, as well as veg in the evening.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Not always.

Unless you include stuff like apple pie, fig rolls, apricot jam etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    The Dentish told me , it actually should be 10 a day!