Humax Remotre Troubles

White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else had troubles with the buttons on the remote?

A few months ago I had lots of non functioning buttons - thing is the ones that failed to function moved on an almost daily basis.

So thinking dirt - I took it apart, soldered in a new uprated IR diode (just in case), cleaned all the circuit board and the rubber keyboard pad with isopropyl alcohol and re-assembled.

Now a couple of months on and its doing the same again - non functioning /slow functioning buttons with the affected buttons moving around the keypad.

Anyone had anything similar and come up with a permanent fix?

I am assuming its the keypad and not the box here but some buttons such as OK function when pressed hard on the edge but not on the centre making me suspect keypad.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I'll say. From the beginning. Worst built remote control I have ever had to use. Fortunately now use a Harmony 555 universal remote so the Humax remote can be consigned to the remote control graveyard in the bottom drawer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, a very poor remote :(

I bought a clone of the remote on Amazon which works okay but has the buttons in a very different layout and thus is confusing.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Which Humax model is being referred to?
    Forum Member
    Humax only made/make one Freesat+ recorder.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Humax only made/make one Freesat+ recorder.

Actually theres 3, Humax Foxsat-HDR, Humax HDR-1000s, Humax HDR-1010s.
    Forum Member
    The last two are not Freesat models. They are Freetime models.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    The last two are not Freesat models. They are Freetime models.

Funny that as they're clearly labeled up as Freesat+ with <free time>.
    Even says Freesat+ on top of the unit.
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed to a Harmony 515 a couple of months after I got the Foxsat. It's amazing how much more pleasant I found using it with a decent zapper.

One thing I found with a couple of other remotes was that you could restore functionality by cleaning but, each time you cleaned it, it would work for a shorter length of time before misbehaving again.

I always wonder why the people who make remotes - even expensive ones (one of the buttons on my 515 is now playing up) - cannot use the same switches as are used on calculators.

I've never had a calculator key go faulty and they last for decades whereas most AV remotes will start giving out after a few years.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Which Humax model is being referred to?

Foxsat HDR
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    I've got the Foxsat HDR and the box stopped responding to the remote. It's almost a year old but as it's got a two year warranty I wasn't too worried. Contacted Humax and they said it was the remote so sent me a new one. It worked ok for a short time then the same thing happened so they replaced it again and still wouldn't work. So the box was definitely to blame. They replaced it really quick, no argument, and everythings been fine since. Plus I've got 2 spare remotes which they didn't want back.
    I had a Humax freeview box previously, for years, and never had any bother with it. Only changed to freesat because of the area I'm in.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the Foxsat HDR and the box stopped responding to the remote. It's almost a year old but as it's got a two year warranty I wasn't too worried. Contacted Humax and they said it was the remote so sent me a new one. It worked ok for a short time then the same thing happened so they replaced it again and still wouldn't work. So the box was definitely to blame. They replaced it really quick, no argument, and everythings been fine since. Plus I've got 2 spare remotes which they didn't want back.
    I had a Humax freeview box previously, for years, and never had any bother with it. Only changed to freesat because of the area I'm in.

Interesting - makes you wonder if the IR detector is great quality.

Unfortunately my box is well out of warranty.