Options

Dexter Season 8 (The Final Season) (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I blimmin' knew that Yates wasn't the real Brain Surgeon and really, really hoped they didn't expect us to be stupid enough to think that the storyline ended with his death! As for Vogel being the killer, the online rumour mill holds that:
    Cassie's boyfriend Oliver is the Surgeon. He is Vogel's son, and the one who got her interested in psycopathy. That's also why the Surgeon plays 'Make Your Own Kind of Music' - because it's his mother's favourite song (we've seen Vogel play it). Of course, I'm still not sure how Oliver (or whoever the Surgeon is) knew exactly what Zack's first victim - the Hispanic girl's - crime scene looked like in order to duplicate it and frame him. It being Oliver would explain why he didn't point out Zack to Quinn, though - he saw Dexter and Zack talking quite clearly yet was elusive when Quinn showed him the Zack photo.
    He was definitely someone who came to my mind too, for the only reason that he has absolutely no other reason to keep cropping up (like the Quinn scene at the station. I think the Vogel link is quite an interesting theory too. I spotted the song recurring straight away (I'm a Lost fan!) and I think the next episode (or the one after maybe) is actually called "Make Your Own Kind of Music", but it would be far to obvious if it were Vogel herself, so it's obviously someone connected to her.

I know they said at some point that she was once married (to another doctor I believe), but did they elaborate on that anymore?

I'm actually quite enjoying this season even though most people don't seem to be. The only thing that really doesn't fit at all is the Masuka/Daughter storyline, though I guess they just ran out of story for him but wanted to keep him? I definitely think the season is now ramping up to the end game and this episode was a big step up in terms of quality! I can't believe there's only like four more episodes left.
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what we've done to deserve seeing Dexter's backside in such detail, but there was one nugget (at last) that may have been interesting there.
    Shockingly graphic wasn't it. Not that I object to a passionate sex scene, but they could charge for that on the interweb.
    I'm confused now as all season long I've thought Vogel must actually be the brain surgeon but then she is left to take Zach home, he winds up dead, we cut to her clutching a piece of brain in a jar but we and Dexter aren't meant to immediately think it's her?! I'm lost...
    I think we're supposed to think its Vogel. But realistically her holding the brain was to throw us off the scent, or shes working with someone, possibly Cassy's boyfriend who appeared in her life last week out of nowhere.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Much better episode this week. Brain Surgeon makes his/her return...Too obvious to be Vogel, but they've done the obvious thing before. Trying to frame Zach for murder was a strange move. I was actually starting to like Zach.

"Do not 'dude' me."

I'm torn on Hannah sticking around. Love the character/actress, but too many people could do her harm :( Elway - who is starting to look rather creepy to me - now going after her without Deb, the brain surgeon could make her his next target, plus Deb changing her mind on shit every episode. Like Dexter I liked the idea of her being out there, I don't want her to die.
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dexter is always at it's worst when they give him "normal" feelings.
  • Options
    MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    The most revolting thing? Aargh! Dexter's,brown,love-making socks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Who does Dexter know that would supply him with a passport for Hannah?
    Surely any criminal aquantancies could open him up to blackmail, or worse, and so would not fit the code
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I blimmin' knew that Yates wasn't the real Brain Surgeon and really, really hoped they didn't expect us to be stupid enough to think that the storyline ended with his death! As for Vogel being the killer, the online rumour mill holds that:
    Cassie's boyfriend Oliver is the Surgeon. He is Vogel's son, and the one who got her interested in psycopathy. That's also why the Surgeon plays 'Make Your Own Kind of Music' - because it's his mother's favourite song (we've seen Vogel play it). Of course, I'm still not sure how Oliver (or whoever the Surgeon is) knew exactly what Zack's first victim - the Hispanic girl's - crime scene looked like in order to duplicate it and frame him. It being Oliver would explain why he didn't point out Zack to Quinn, though - he saw Dexter and Zack talking quite clearly yet was elusive when Quinn showed him the Zack photo.
    Also, Oliver was saying that it might appear too soon, but that he and Cassie were making plans for the future. However, we know from her conversation with Deb last week that she wasn't all that into Oliver and was still hoping to start something with Dexter. So that's two lies that we know of.

Also, the final scene didn't make me suspect Vogel at all. The way I saw it, Dexter was presented the body and Vogel the brain. I thought she looked concerned in the final scene.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echo Zulu wrote: »
    Also, Oliver was saying that it might appear too soon, but that he and Cassie were making plans for the future. However, we know from her conversation with Deb last week that she wasn't all that into Oliver and was still hoping to start something with Dexter. So that's two lies that we know of.

Also, the final scene didn't make me suspect Vogel at all. The way I saw it, Dexter was presented the body and Vogel the brain. I thought she looked concerned in the final scene.

I did too. She wasn't looking at the brain as though it was her latest trophy, she was looking at it with surprise and dismay.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that is missing for me this season is the eerie music they used to play quite often..Also Dexter seems uninterested and quite bored. Not his usual devilish self.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think Hannah ruined Dexter last season. I'm quite depressed she's back for the final season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dexter is always at it's worst when they give him "normal" feelings.

Couldn't agree more. Seeing Dexter in a sex scene feels wrong :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I really think Hannah ruined Dexter last season. I'm quite depressed she's back for the final season.

I agree!
    She's my least favourite Dexter character ever, I feel quite cheated that the final Season is revolving around her. :mad:
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame they haven't used Angels character at all this season.
    Also Masukas daughter seems so irrelevant my suspicions are strangely leading into into that direction....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was appalled, and so was my cat. :eek:

Seemed like exhibitionism on Hall's part (or parts).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Much better episode this week. Brain Surgeon makes his/her return...Too obvious to be Vogel, but they've done the obvious thing before. Trying to frame Zach for murder was a strange move. I was actually starting to like Zach.

"Do not 'dude' me."

I liked his character too. Does anyone think the framing and Zach's murder are unconnected?

I think Vogel's husband has something to do with this.

Can someone remind me. Did we find out anything about Dexter's real father in the previous seasons?

An aside, I nearly didn't recognise Julian Sands last week, with his new nose.
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissySmith wrote: »
    The most revolting thing? Aargh! Dexter's,brown,love-making socks!

I didn't even notice Dexter's socks. I was too busy looking at his rather nice bum :p
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what about the scenes with Lila? Or are these more explicit?
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kine wrote: »
    Can someone remind me. Did we find out anything about Dexter's real father in the previous seasons?

http://dexter.wikia.com/wiki/Joe_Driscoll
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Blossom85 wrote: »

Thanks. I think I can vaguely remember the blood transfusion and card scenes. I could be mixing it up with something else. Was that in the first season?
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I think I can vaguely remember the blood transfusion and card scenes. I could be mixing it up with something else. Was that in the first season?

Yeah, that happened in Season 1
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    So what about the scenes with Lila? Or are these more explicit?

If my memory serves me correctly, we've seen more graphic than that.

It's been a while though :o
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was appalled, and so was my cat. :eek:

Seemed like exhibitionism on Hall's part (or parts).

to be fair most of the earlier seasons had a lot of sex. Him and that Lila were always at it. And Deb wasn't too shy too.

For a change, I actually liked this episode more than the last few. It had some good humour - when four of them were in the hotel room - 3 serial killers together and a harbourer! It's certainly seems like they're trying to hint that Cassy's bf is the killer but it's a bit obvious isn't it?
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked his character too. Does anyone think the framing and Zach's murder are unconnected?

I think Vogel's husband has something to do with this.

An aside, I nearly didn't recognise Julian Sands last week, with his new nose.

yes that's what I thought. Actually the first thing to come to my mind after we realise someone had put Zac's blood under Cassie's fingernails, was Quinn. He's been bent before, and he seems to really want to nail Zac to the murders, as if to prove to Angel he made the wrong decision about sergeant.

I think the brain surgeon had nothing to do with the framing
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with others about the shoddy writing going on this season. I hope things pick up now we're in the second half of the season, but I'm doubtful based on what I've seen thus far.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to the storyline about Angel retiring in order to run his restaurant full-time? It seemed to be a big thing at the end of Season 7, but now... nothing. Have the writers just forgotten about it? Or did Angel put it on hold once he found out about LaGuerta being killed? I might have missed something, but does anyone know if it's been dealt with or discussed at all this season, because (from what I've seen) I don't think it has.

And why is Matthews back in charge with no mention?
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    to be fair most of the earlier seasons had a lot of sex. Him and that Lila were always at it. And Deb wasn't too shy too.

For a change, I actually liked this episode more than the last few. It had some good humour - when four of them were in the hotel room - 3 serial killers together and a harbourer! It's certainly seems like they're trying to hint that Cassy's bf is the killer but it's a bit obvious isn't it?

Yes, but then I thought that Rudy being the ITK was even more obvious way back in S1- as soon as he revealed that his career was in orthotics, I knew it was him. Granted, I didn't see him being Dexter's brother coming, but I'd say his identity as the ITK was more obvious than Oliver's (possible) identity as the Brain Surgeon - at least so far.