Moving files from one hard drive to another

stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I download movies and when my hard drive is nearly full I move to another hard drive,but when i click to play them i get an error message in Windows Media Player saying it can't play it, saying it might be wrong file type or codec is missing and when i click web help i get : " Windows Media Player error C00D119A
You've encountered an error message while using Windows Media Player. Additional information isn't currently available for this error "

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a continuation of your last thread?
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1993447

It seems to me they are obviously related.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you able to play those videos before at all? I'd try VLC video player, I think it installs some codecs with it. Also get MediaInfo programme it tells you what codecs a particular video file needs. Of course it's also possible your video files are damaged and that's why they won't play. A codec information is at the beginning of the file, if that part is damaged a video player does not know how to decompress video and audio streams.
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Were you able to play those videos before at all? I'd try VLC video player, I think it installs some codecs with it. Also get MediaInfo programme it tells you what codecs a particular video file needs. Of course it's also possible your video files are damaged and that's why they won't play. A codec information is at the beginning of the file, if that part is damaged a video player does not know how to decompress video and audio streams.

Yes they played ok, it's just when I've either copied/cut them to the new drive I get rhat message.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stairway wrote: »
    Yes they played ok, it's just when I've either copied/cut them to the new drive I get rhat message.

But is this the drive that you are talking about in your other thread? If so it is possible that the fault you have/had with that drive was causing corruption of the files when you copied them.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Don't Cut and paste, Copy & paste then check the files work then delete, If there is an error or power cut you can lose the files.