LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been explained, ND - it's just a nickname based on 'O'Brien'. Not a big deal, surely? ;-)

But why hasn't Mike come forward to explain it. Others get criticised for using "nicknames," of other presenters and politicians etc. so why should we not have Mike explain himself? Is he embarrassed about it? Has he realised that it sounds a bit puerile, but feels he has to brave it out and continue using it?
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No worries, H. I was just having a bit of fun with it over the morning coffee. I hope that's not too 'painfully middle class'! :p

Good lord! We both used the same term at the same time! :o
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a couple of corrections here:
    'Spelling aside, the punctuation is appalling too. Are we supposed to ignore this sort of thing when using Twitter? I know I wouldn't. I try my best - whenever I am writing anything, anywhere - to spell and punctuate as well as I am able.'

Tricky, ain't it? ;-)

Personally, I would have used commas, or maybe parentheses, instead of dashes because the words they surround are more of an aside than text that needs to be emphasised.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Personally, I would have used commas, or maybe parentheses, instead of dashes because the words they surround are more of an aside than text that needs to be emphasised.

I have an unfortunate leaning towards brackets! (or parentheses, if you prefer)
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Clause/sub-clause, Clitheroe, (brackets or parentheses are fine, too) but I won't take this any further as it's getting rather off-topic. ;-)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I - tend - to - be - a - bit - of - a - dasher - myself! - :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I - tend - to - be - a - bit - of - a - dasher - myself! - :D
    Mustache!
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Clause/sub-clause, Clitheroe, but I won't take this any further as it's getting rather off-topic. ;-)

Why? It's better than hearing about O'Brien all the time. That is half the fun of threads in that one can go off-topic for a while, to relieve the monotony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking Of James O'B (who is on now) I often think that debating with him is like riding a bucking bronco. Whether one agrees with him or not, he's very good at it. Maybe he should have replaced Darling for the Scottish Independence debates.
  • Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very fact that you refuse to answer the question about why you call him "Brian," instead of "James," kind of shows us that you are embarrassed about it and that is the reason why you won't explain it.

At one time there were a spate of callers who said "morning, Brian".
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Mine is possibly a lone voice in the wilderness, but I'm glad that James is back :p

I'm another glad one!

I like the idea of presenters with personality, but of course that does make it more likely that people will be turned off them. Thinking about it, there are not many LBC presenters whose personalities I like and I could imagine having a drink with. SA, JOB, ID, NA, OM, LL and KL... and there my list probably stops. And of those, only JOB and ID are on regularly during 'office hours' when I might be listening live.

Overall, this makes LBC for me more like being trapped at a party with the overbearing pub bore most of the time, so I listen less and less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    He may be better suited to Radio 4. I find that channel PAINFULLY middle class at times. I have to say the segment of his programme I heard today was an interesting topic and there were no comments about his class or education etc. I do understand how it can be most annoying though.

He has mentioned his prep school and said "discombobulation" twice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He has mentioned his prep school and said "discombobulation" twice.

No breast feeding then? :o
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    No breast feeding then? :o

Will now unsubscribe as this has become boring AGAIN!:(
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one time there were a spate of callers who said "morning, Brian".

Not that I particularly recall that myself, but I would imagine those people were either stupid or childish; don't you agree?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I particularly recall that myself, but I would imagine those people were either stupid or childish; don't you agree?

No, I think they were just a little nervous and mixed up the names and used "Brian".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think they were just a little nervous and mixed up the names and used "Brian".
    I always wondered if it was a reference to the Monty Python gang calling everyone 'Brian'.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night with DB, "Should seven year olds get sex education at school?". This morning with NF, "Should seven year olds get sex education at school?". This afternoon with JHB, "Should seven year olds get sex education at school?". Talk abut a yawn-fest! >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Will now unsubscribe as this has become boring AGAIN!:(

Cheer up old bean we have been talking about all sorts of LBC things! ;-)

Missed Nick Abbot last night. Tuned in at 1 am to find Olly Mann is back! :(
  • sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Last night with DB, "Should seven year olds get sex education at school?". This morning with NF, "Should seven year olds get sex education at school?". This afternoon with JHB, "Should seven year olds get sex education at school?". Talk abut a yawn-fest! >:(

Just show how reliant LBC are on politics now and parliament are on holiday, they fall apart with nothing to talk about.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »

JOB "Should seven year olds get breast fed at the Chiswick Breastfeeding Centre, or should they have moved on to foccaccia by now?"
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    Just show how reliant LBC are on politics now and parliament are on holiday, they fall apart with nothing to talk about.

Not to worry though, with LBC favourites all trying to become MPs at once, things will soon return to normal.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Stapleton in for Iain Dale this week.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Cheer up old bean we have been talking about all sorts of LBC things! ;-)

Missed Nick Abbot last night. Tuned in at 1 am to find Olly Mann is back! :(

Olly Mann referred to LBC as a 'news station' last night.

What happened to LBC News 1152, is it still going?
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What happened to LBC News 1152, is it still going?

It is still there, it is amazingly still growing audiences ! 322,000 last quarter 286,000 previous quarter. Can it be people really don't know what station they are listening to? Admittedly as the FM station now bills itself just LBC it is more easily confused, but the current survey doesn't really take into account the national status.
This discussion has been closed.