Options

Why are we so afraid of highlighting race, even when it matters?

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    What happened in Rotherham is not an issue of race or culture or religion. Like all the other abuse revelations, it is a serious failure of the state to perform it's primary function of protection of the people. It is about the police not taking victims seriously and it is about people in the corridors of power covering it up.

Given all the previous allegations about the catholic church, BBC, and other institutions, I would say the ethnicity of the perpetrators is rather irrelevant.

It would most certainly be irrelevant if it wasn't for Oxford, Derby, etc. It's a pattern of this particular type of crime. It's their M.O. It's not that they're the only rapists, but that gangs, unconnected in any way except for being of Pakistani origin have committed almost identical crimes. If more can be done to prevent it then clearly it should. Now, how you go about that unless you recognise the profile of the perpetrators, you tell me. And people have done just that. Mosques and community groups have been brought in to the discussion. Is that racist too?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    It would most certainly be irrelevant if it wasn't for Oxford, Derby, etc. It's a pattern of this particular type of crime. It's their M.O. It's not that they're the only rapists, but that gangs, unconnected in any way except for being of Pakistani origin have committed almost identical crimes. If more can be done to prevent it then clearly it should. Now, how you go about that unless you recognise the profile of the perpetrators, you tell me. And people have done just that. Mosques and community groups have been brought in to the discussion. Is that racist too?

Where did I say that anyone was racist? I merely stated an opinion that what happened was down to failure of the state, not a race/religion issue.

If you are going to pathetically assume that anyone stating that is making accusations of racism, I am out.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened in Rotherham is not an issue of race or culture or religion. Like all the other abuse revelations, it is a serious failure of the state to perform it's primary function of protection of the people. It is about the police not taking victims seriously and it is about people in the corridors of power covering it up.

Given all the previous allegations about the catholic church, BBC, and other institutions, I would say the ethnicity of the perpetrators is rather irrelevant.
    And what was one of the reasons given for this failure, that has been all over the news and this forum? Even if you regard it as irrelevant in the first place, it has been made relevant in the end.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    And what was one of the reasons given for this failure, that has been all over the news and this forum? Even if you regard it as irrelevant in the first place, it has been made relevant in the end.

Posted it elsewhere so may as well post it here.

The chief characteristic of all 1,400 cases is that none of the girls were believed. Typical responses from the police were:
    The victim invited sex by the way they dressed or acted
    The victim used alcohol or drugs and was therefore sexually available
    The victim didn't scream, fight or protest so they must have been consenting
    The victim didn't complain immediately, so it can't have been a sexual assault
    The victim is in a relationship with the alleged offender and is therefore a
    willing partner
    A victim should remember events consistently
    Children can consent to their own sexual exploitation
    CSE is only a problem in certain ethnic/cultural communities
    Only girls and young women are victims of child sexual abuse
    Children from BME backgrounds are not abused
    There will be physical evidence of abuse.

Some of the girls went to extreme lengths to get attention. Self-harm and suicide attempts, running away etc.
    Police did not investigate or lost evidence.
    The abusers targeted the vulnerable, kids in care, those with drug and drink problems. Also those who didn't speak English.
    The people didn't avoid prosecution for their ethnic origin but because the local police make sexist assumptions.

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1407/independent_inquiry_cse_in_rotherham
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    They have talked about the sexual abuse in their post and stated it was wrong. What do you want from them? To go on a daily mail rant.

Should they create a thread scraming 'white paedophile alert' and create create tabloid-esque post and determine whether it is a race, culture, religion/no religion problem to explain the crimes?

It is a bizarre yet we still have people who feel the need to highlight that the group in question from the OP's post are Pakistani, Asian and Muslim. How are these factors of any relevance?

The question should not be of race, religion or culture rather about the failings of the authority, their lack of action...?

You seem far more concerned with questioning the relevance of accepting the overwhelming evidence that one group of people are the common denominator in all these horrific 'grooming' cases than concern for the victims.

Mentioning Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saville is SO clearly clutching at straws it's painful.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I say that anyone was racist? I merely stated an opinion that what happened was down to failure of the state, not a race/religion issue.

If you are going to pathetically assume that anyone stating that is making accusations of racism, I am out.

You're ignoring the primary cause of the state's failure though. Why?
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »

It was and will continue to be for some "an inconvenient truth". No "lessons will be learned" and similar will most likely happen again in the future.:(
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh what a load of crap. Certain crimes are more prevalent among certain groups, and that's just a fact. In London, there's an issue with black youths getting drawn into gun crime and gangs, for example. It's important to recognise and acknowledge this so that we can get to the roots of the cause - young black kids very often growing up without father figures being one of them. And guess what - that's not being racist, it's stating a fact.

Yes, and you know what is a common crime amongst the white community? Racism. Yet for some reason a lot of white people don't want to acknowledge and tackle it - they demand to be viewed as individuals, not as a group with their own set of problems and yet they're demanding that other races get themselves together. FYI I grew up in two parent household.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable that despite all that's come out, and continuuing to come out, the deniers here are still refusing to accept the race the sex gangs being an important factor.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a bizarre yet we still have people who feel the need to highlight that the group in question from the OP's post are Pakistani, Asian and Muslim. How are these factors of any relevance?

The question should not be of race, religion or culture rather about the failings of the authority, their lack of action...?

They are all relevant just like Catholicos have to think about a strategy for dealing with sex crimes and issues ,as do teachers, scouts, Methodists.

The lack of a policy that is clear and public can have an impact. Just because some racists want to wrap the issue to their agenda doesn't mean it isn't an issue that still needs discussing. It's similar to how some people see any discussion about axe crimes by priests as being anti-Catholic. They might be bug usually they are simply anti- sex crimes. We shouldn't let extremists on either side stop st so me discussion and in this event that means racists and those that want to avoid any discussion of a link with a group (religious, ethnic or whatever).
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened in Rotherham is not an issue of race or culture or religion. Like all the other abuse revelations, it is a serious failure of the state to perform it's primary function of protection of the people. .

I think it may be a mixture as priestly abuse was. Victims reluctant to speak out, people reluctant to believe the word of someone "respectable" against a troubled child, police doing the same. A community hiding their sex offenders in order to protect the communities reputation. The whole thing is depressingly familiar.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »

The Rotherham report did not cite 'worrying about being thought racist' as the primary cause however - it was one of the issues certainly, but so were massive failures in process and the attitude of the police and other authorities to the victims themselves. In many many cases the authorities didn't care who the perpetrators were because they didn't even acknowledge that the girls had been the victims of crime in the first place. I am all for being plain about the fact that some people played down the ethnicity of the perpetrators and this allowed offending to continue - but it isn't the main or only reason for this dreadful state of affairs and to solely concentrate on it will not solve the other underlying issues. Being cynical I can also imagine some of the people concerned saying 'I didn't act in case people thought I was a racist' as an excuse for their own disinterest in girls they thought 'troublemakers' or 'slags'.

Let's look at all the issues - including the uncomfortable truth that there are people who see those children as not worth the effort of protecting.
  • Options
    Peit LewisPeit Lewis Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    If you're concerned about racism generally, start your own thread.

Have to say that for me personally, dealing with a gang of men who have been sexually abusing young girls over a prolonged period, is infinitely more important than your off topic and self centred rant.

The racism in Rotherham is of the most pernicious and inverse type, as highlighted by the OP.

Because the only racism that matters to you is black against white.

The chances are is that you have never experienced racism, but think you can lecture me about racial issues - you know nothing as you have your head up your rear end, as emphasised by your ignorant comment.
  • Options
    Peit LewisPeit Lewis Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    bspace

It's difficult to even know were to begin with this. Just exactly what point are you trying to make. It's pretty impossible not to talk about race/ethnicity in this case when failings in the culprits culture/religion are pretty central to the issue. Not to mention a PC attitude which meant that the case has been swept under the carpet for years. How the hell can it be debated without mentioning race/culture.

Many white people are all to aware of the attitude of the authorities to anyone who appears to fall outside the well to do establishment. You think your the only minority to suffer at the hands of those who are equally oppressed. Try being openly gay around a lot of black/asian people. Do I need to make a list of nasty words to fit this one eh?

It shouldn't be a game of I'm more oppressed than you, you know you don't skate too far from sounding as if you think we should care less about this case because a lot of black/asian people get called names. What are you calling for, that we don't talk about it cause it might offend someone. That's exactly what got us into this mess. You think we don't get outraged when we find the Catholic Church hiding its dirty washing and we don't talk about the defining charactoristics of that case "Catholic priests".

Talk about "despicable, self-righteous, two-faced hypocrisy".

The point that I am making that you have obviously missed, is that the comments made in the OP of this debate represent a cynical right-wing attitude towards racial issues, as a result of a heinous crime where the perpetrators are from an ethnic group against victims who are from a different ethnic group. Whether you believe it or not, the same type of argument and general consensus from most opinion-makers always suffices when this happens – Non-white kills or destroys white, has to be a racial/cultural issue so let’s judge the entire non-white race! - White kills or destroy non-white (far more common) - don’t mention race, you’re playing the race card! It is a common attitude amongst people who are genuinely afraid of dealing with racial issues because of their morbid fear of ‘being called racist’. Get real!

You talk about PC attitudes regarding this case which is very probably true, however what incidence of political correctness is in place when ‘Black-on-Black’ crime issues are highlighted, debated and psycho-analysed by all and sundry on a regular basis, likewise the radicalisation of young mainly Asian and African Muslims towards extremism and terrorism. These issues are in the mainstream media all the time, unlike the incidents of mostly young black men dying while in the custody of the Police that I have mentioned but you have failed to comprehend, and also the regular incidents in most city centres up and down Britain where mostly young white men and women, often totally drunk and/or on drugs, punching and kicking the hell out each of other, with often very tragic consequences - where is the regular ‘cultural debate’ about this behaviour, or is down to being ‘PC’?

And no I do not think that minority ethnic groups are the only ‘oppressed’ group of people (I never said anything of the sort). I happen to mention that my experience of racism has not personally made me prejudiced in any similar way towards other people who are different than me, perhaps I should have mentioned that I am also steadfastly against sexism, homophobia and any other nasty form of prejudice which is based entirely on fear and ignorance. However I hope your appalling experience of homophobic attitudes amongst black and Asian people (often under the excuse of religion – I have no time for the atrociously bigoted religious leaders from Africa and Asia) hasn’t also made you cynical about racial issues, if you believe that all blacks and Asians are homophobic then you are failing to deal with prejudice in the same way that I and many other people in our situation have done, and are tarring everybody with the same brush (I have never made the allegation that all white people are racist). Actually for the record, the majority of disgraceful homophobic attacks in this country have been committed by white people, and the last time I heard, the likes of the white-dominated BNP and UKIP political parties and their followers aren’t exactly ‘gay friendly’ themselves, let alone many of the various religious creeds in this country that represent people of all races.

I was counter-arguing the OP’s and many people’s ridiculous assumption that minority groups – particularly those with a black or brown face, but gay people as well - have some political and moral stranglehold over the entire indigenous white population, because of the apparent fear of dealing with a small number of appalling incidents where the criminals are from these backgrounds by those in authority, whereas I have pointed out factually, that there are regular incidents where the victims are black and Asian, often at the hands of white-dominated authority, but no justice has been achieved for their families, and all too often those same people in authority get away with it, which totally disproves this age-old but re-hashed claptrap opined by the OP. Instead of having a go at me Mr. bspace, perhaps you should have a greater sense of solidarity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I'll admit that this whole racism thing is becoming a tool of pressure for political ends or whatever. But this incident has nothing to do with the ethnic background of the ciriminals. This is the justice and law enforcement system blatantly failing to protect the innocent. The ability to identify the ethnic background of perpetrators is not going to help anything if people in charge choose the ignore their duties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Yes, and you know what is a common crime amongst the white community? Racism. Yet for some reason a lot of white people don't want to acknowledge and tackle it - they demand to be viewed as individuals, not as a group with their own set of problems and yet they're demanding that other races get themselves together. FYI I grew up in two parent household.

Actually, racism works BOTH ways - there are people of black and Asian ethnicity who are racist towards white people. Take the Rotherham gang - they specifically targeted white girls because they saw them as "easy".
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Actually, racism works BOTH ways - there are people of black and Asian ethnicity who are racist towards white people. Take the Rotherham gang - they specifically targeted white girls because they saw them as "easy".

They targeted girls when they thought they could get away with it - including girls from their own community (as described in the report). I am sure some are racist against white people of course - ignorance and prejudice happens in all communities after all, but these men wanted young girls to have sex with (or sell to others for sex) and they took them wherever they could get them. I think it is essential to recognise that there are many girls from these men's communities that are still in terrible danger and may be much harder to protect.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. Racism is a massive problem within the white community just like knife crime is within the black community. The intolerance of other races and cultures often leading to violent acts is something that needs to be addressed.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peit Lewis wrote: »
    Because the only racism that matters to you is black against white.

The chances are is that you have never experienced racism, but think you can lecture me about racial issues - you know nothing as you have your head up your rear end, as emphasised by your ignorant comment.

The only ignorance I see here is from someone who is more concerned about their own personal issues, than about young girls being molested by older men, and that being allowed to continue because the authorities were afraid to tackle it, lest they were accused of racism.

If that casts me with my head up my rear end, than so be it. It's a title I'll happily live with for my beliefs on this matter.

Incidentally I'm not trying to lecture you about racism - the fact is that your experiences are irrelevant on this thread. If you want to raise them on another I'll happily contribute and strongly support you. But we are not discussing that matter here.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    If you choose to see the catastrophic failure of this case as purely fear of accusations of racism that's your choice. It may be a cosy place to hide from the whole truth but in a broader context, achieves nothing. Have you read the report, all highly relevant to this case and discussion. I am concerned about all authorities in all sexual abuse cases acting professionally and in the interests of children.

Where did I say that? Now who's misrepresenting who?

I said that of course there were other major factors, but that the racial element shouldn't be downplayed or ignored like it was before.

And of course the authorities acting professionally and in the interests of the children in all cases is the primary concern. However, any possible root causes or environment in which the abuse was able to exist must be explored equally and the racial and cultural element should not be airbrushed from the discussion in the same way that it has been in the past.

Yes, in recent posts (since my criticism) you have more readily acknowledged the existence and possibility of problems, raised by other FM's, in that particular community; but your general tone (although not only yours) from the beginning of the thread has been to downplay and divert the conversation away from the racial element and engage in whataboutery.

I've engaged in the discussion by highlighting instances of people engaging in the exact sort of behaviour that this thread is meant to be about, in downplaying the relevance of and necessity to broach issues of race in cases such as this.

If that means I've had to highlight (or cherry pick, if you insist) some of the comments you've made, then so be it.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    They targeted girls when they thought they could get away with it - including girls from their own community

You don't know the motives and are using the NWM report to dismiss potential racism.

There were 35 asian girls in that report, the rotherham report talks about 1400 but doesn't give any breakdown of them and they weren't the victims of a single gang.

There was only 1 gang prosecuted in rotherham and there is no mention of whether or not the girls mentioned in the NWM report were related to their activity.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommy Robinson talked about it for years and nothing was done. Everyone just buried their head in the sand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because race, religion or culture does not make a person automatically commit a crime. Or to put it another way, Gary Glitter commited crimes of sexual abuse, paedophilia... because he is white and British. There must be something wrong with being white and British. Is there?

So if you were placed in charge of a team to root out the underlying causes and common factors of the problems at issue in Rotherham, Rochdale, Derby and Cambridge, how would you go about it ?

If you faced a question from the media asking why all the gang members were Pakistani Muslims, what would your answer be ?

If you had to interview the authorities in Rotherham on a fact finding mission, and they said that they hadn't dealt with the matter because they were afraid of being accused of racism, how would you conclude your findings ?
    Why am I not surprised that you would state that. Personally that line of reasoning is weak and invalid and just a cop-out.

You can call it what you like - it is still accurate and you haven't got a better answer than the above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Tommy Robinson talked about it for years and nothing was done. Everyone just buried their head in the sand.

But Tommy Robinson has an openly racist agenda as large as Buckingham Palace. Not too many will take much notice of him, frankly, even if he's correct. He's way too biased.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    But Tommy Robinson has an openly racist agenda as large as Buckingham Palace. Not too many will take much notice of him, frankly, even if he's correct. He's way too biased.

I was going to say much the same. If I'd heard him banging on about something like that I'd assume he was making it up.