Options

Just shopped a scammer in a store tonight.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
Forum Member
While in a petrol station tonight i caught the cashier scamming the company. She only scanned one of the two packs of smokes that i asked for and told me the full amount of £32.30

It was then i noticed that the front display of the till was covered by a charity box. so i pretended that i was going to put a few coins in the box and moved it over to see that she had indeed only scanned one pack as total on the display was £26.15(£20 of petrol) should have been £32.30 You should have seen the look on her face when i looked up at her, made ever worse when i asked for a receipt. All of a sudden it turns out her till is not working and she can't print one off for me but she can write out a hand written one.

First thing i done when i got home was to call up the manager of the stations main store and report her. Do i feel guilty ? do i heck.. it's people doing stuff like this that forces price increases for us honest folks.

Makes me wonder how often this happens. store losses must be massive due to staff theft like this.

Comments

• Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused. What do you want, a slap on the back and a big 'atta boy'?
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What she did was wrong, but my goodness your smugness makes my skin crawl.. If you want me to tell you have clever and brave you are...well, sorry it isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good, well done. It's about time people started to act upon the wrongdoings they witness rather than turn a blind eye. We may be saved after all.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done - you did the right thing. She was stealing.
  • Options
    AndrewBurleyAndrewBurley Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deakin wrote: »
    While in a petrol station tonight i caught the cashier scamming the company. She only scanned one of the two packs of smokes that i asked for and told me the full amount of £32.30

It was then i noticed that the front display of the till was covered by a charity box. so i pretended that i was going to put a few coins in the box and moved it over to see that she had indeed only scanned one pack as total on the display was £26.15(£20 of petrol) should have been £32.30 You should have seen the look on her face when i looked up at her, made ever worse when i asked for a receipt. All of a sudden it turns out her till is not working and she can't print one off for me but she can write out a hand written one.

First thing i done when i got home was to call up the manager of the stations main store and report her. Do i feel guilty ? do i heck.. it's people doing stuff like this that forces price increases for us honest folks.

Makes me wonder how often this happens. store losses must be massive due to staff theft like this.

You should start wearing a cape, call yourself batman, and we can start calling you whenever we need a hero.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    As long as you have got your facts right, you probably did the right thing.

Though there is probably CCTV above the till and if the receipts don't match, it's all there.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you OP, it's the likes of her that are putting the costs up for ordinary hardworking people.
    She is lucky to have employment too.
    She is no better than all those people jumping on the band wagon robbing stores during the riots.
    Just think on, if she did that to all those who were buying two packets of cigs every day, she would be making a fortune. Cigs are around £5 a packet, she only has to do that 10 times a day and she has made £50 on top of her salary.
    That would soon put the owner out of business wouldn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you did the right thing. I doubt I would have bothered myself as i would not be 100% sure but then again i doubt I would have even noticed. As has been said petrol stations are riddled with cameras so IF she was doing wrong I dare say she would have been caught.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the manager happy that a random person got hold of his private number and rung him in the middle of the night?
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Why all the negative posts ?
    The OP did the right thing both in shopping the thief and bringing the scam to our attention. What is the matter with some people ?
  • Options
    TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With petrol station staff I have found they are more likely to fiddle the customer than their owner because it is easier and
    the fiddle will not be discovered on any later stock take.

It is the selling of all the sweets and snacks that gives them the opportunity as most customers never aask for the receipt for those. The scam I have frequently had tried out on myself when I buy a few snacks is that the assistant just tells you what you owe without producing any till receipt but they have added a pound or whatever for themselves.

I have had this tried on me so often that I always do a quick mental tot up of what I owe BEFORE I go to the counter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Why all the negative posts ?
    The OP did the right thing both in shopping the thief and bringing the scam to our attention. What is the matter with some people ?

Because the story has holes you can fit a jumbo jet through.......
    * Petrol stations have cameras all over the till area...it won't be hard for management to catch her

* Cigs in a place like that are so tightly audited, combined with the cameras she would have been caught within a week. Another poster said that she could do this 10 times a day....true, but she would have been caught after a day! What are the chances she started her life of crime in front of the OP?

* The OP posted at 5am. I assume that he was at a 24hour station, unless he spent several hours toasting himself with champange, that the events happened fairly recently. I know of no 24hour station that allows access into the shop after about midnight, its always a window job. Impossible then to move the box.

*I realise till displays and charity boxes come in all shapes and sizes but how big would this box have to have been to cover the whole display?

* What was she doing with the money she pilfered? As said before the cameras would have caught her pocketing it.

* How did the OP get hold of the "manager of the stations main store" phone number? OK a (very) small chain might have a "any complaints ring XXXXX on XXXX" sticker, but why not that store manager but a different one? EVen if that did happen, why did it have to be in the early hours of the morning (going from my assumption that it happened recently enough) and as the manager would you be happy to get a phonecall at (say) 2am from a totally random guy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Have you ever thought of becoming a traffic warden OP?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly the same, but every time I go to the petrol station I like to finish on a round number, favouring the £30's £40's and £50's, however every time I go up and pay it's always £x0.02/03 etc.

I'm sure I end dead on, but this continually happens... one explanation would be that I am a tad clumsy and knock the trigger a little more as I take it out. However a more fitting scam would suggest these forecourt thieves are adding on the pennies when we go in there, as a way to punish us non smokers

I know it's only 2 or 3p per customer, but at 2 per minute, 8 hours of a shift... well that equates to... profit.

OP, you should be grateful she's only mugging her boss off.
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think your attitude stinks. You could at least have spoken to her about it and told her what your intentions were and perhaps given her the chance to come clean or leave her job. I know stealing is wrong but there is something quite distasteful in the way you have gone about this and then come here to brag about what a good person you are.
    You really want to hope that nothing you have ever done that is ilegal or underhand comes to the attention of someone like yourself.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TigerBlood wrote: »
    Not exactly the same, but every time I go to the petrol station I like to finish on a round number, favouring the £30's £40's and £50's, however every time I go up and pay it's always £x0.02/03 etc.

I'm sure I end dead on, but this continually happens... one explanation would be that I am a tad clumsy and knock the trigger a little more as I take it out. However a more fitting scam would suggest these forecourt thieves are adding on the pennies when we go in there, as a way to punish us non smokers

I know it's only 2 or 3p per customer, but at 2 per minute, 8 hours of a shift... well that equates to... profit.

Reminds me of the old 'Not the Nine o'Clock News' sketch showing that exact scenario with the nobble button! :D

That assistant must be considerably brighter than most you find behind a till these days if she was able to add the extra £6.15 on in her head and get the right total.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you wear your underpants on top of your tights?
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you wear your underpants on top of your tights?

On their head would be my guess.
  • Options
    TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you click on the list of the OP's previous posts you soon realise that he has a tounge in cheek style and most of his stories are probably works of fiction.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    If you click on the list of the OP's previous posts you soon realise that he has a tounge in cheek style and most of his stories are probably works of fiction.

Oh well. It's a bloody shame that you have to vet most DS posters these days in case they are bullshit merchants.
  • Options
    Miss ChiefmakerMiss Chiefmaker Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable behaviour from the OP.

I've done my share of check out work and you can't survive on the minimum wage you get paid in these places. If you don't get creative then you can't make ends meet. The smugness and justification in here is unreal, you should try experiencing how management and the public treat you on a till before you go criticising checkout staff.

And if you think that reporting someone will bring down prices then you are beyond naive.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TigerBlood wrote: »

If it continually happens then end your filling-up on an £X.98 :cool:
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    The OP just wants to tell their story. If this had of being me i would have probably have felt smug too.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised the OP managed to avoid jumping over the counter and performing a citizen's arrest then and there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable behaviour from the OP.

I've done my share of check out work and you can't survive on the minimum wage you get paid in these places. If you don't get creative then you can't make ends meet. The smugness and justification in here is unreal, you should try experiencing how management and the public treat you on a till before you go criticising checkout staff.

And if you think that reporting someone will bring down prices then you are beyond naive.

Perfect username. ;)