Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said it at the time but it is probably worth repeating how strange it is TS aren't providing commentary of the match-- particularly as they were the only british station providing some quarter final and semi final commentary. I guess as the champions league final rights are sole centrally TS decided not to pay but it seems an odd decision. I'm generally supportive of TS-- I think it provides a nice alternative to 5Live so I hope my comments aren't viewed as overly harsh or TS bashing-- I guess I'm just disappointed as I'd have listened if they'd provided a commentary.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is he? for tv?

Sorry, I meant 'isn't'!

TS didn't commentate on the game?! Very odd. A huge game, doesn't make sense/
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes even less sense given that talkSPORT had continued to provide commentaries from every matchround of the Champions League even after all of the British teams had gone out. Had they switched to reports-only coverage after the Round of 16 you perhaps would have expected this call.

Going by their coverage of previous finals I doubt acquiring rights would have been an issue, so I can only assume it was a question of costs. Perhaps they decided to use the money they would have spent on gaining commentary rights to the Champions League Final on picking up rights to the Europa League Final or England's games at the Under-21 European Championship or to channel more funds into their coverage of the British & Irish Lions tour.

talkSPORT's decision to cover the Under-21 Euros has only recently been made public and they might have decided that covering those games, which are only available on Sky Sports in the UK, would be a better move commercially than doing the Champions League Final - a one-off game that most people interested will have been able to watch on TV as it was available free-to-air on a Saturday evening. But this is purely speculation on my part, as you two have said it is a strange call given their coverage of the quarter and semi-finals.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 26/5/13

Richard Gordon presenting Cup Final Sportsound from Hampden Park.

Hibernian v Celtic - John Barnes, Murdo MacLeod and Craig Paterson (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 26th May - talkSPORT

Georgie Bingham presenting Sunday Scoreboard alongside Ray Houghton (12noon-2pm) and Charlie Wyett from The Sun (2-4pm), followed by Howzat with Ronnie Irani and Angus Fraser

Scottish Cup Final
    Hibernian v Celtic - Geoff Peters

Cricket: Second Test Match
    England v New Zealand - Jack Bannister

Golf: BMW PGA Championship
    Wentworth Club - Rupert Bell

Rugby Union: International Match
    England v Barbarians - Russell Hargreaves

Rugby League: Super League - Magic Weekend (Etihad Stadium)
    Salford City Reds v Widnes Vikings, Bradford Bulls v Huddersfield Giants and Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors - Mark Wilson

Formula 1: Monaco Grand Prix
    Circuit de Monaco - Graham Courtney
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arsenal v Bristol Academy (FA Women's Cup final)

BBC Bristol - Richard Hoskin (studio host) Andy Howard and Nicola Glanville (1548MW / DAB / Online)
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five Live, 26/5/13

Hibernian v Celtic - Conor McNamara, Roddy Forsyth and Craig Levein (commentary)

Five Live are trialling a new online player tomorrow during the play-off final, where you'll be able to change the balance between commentator and crowd, and position yourself in one set of fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Roddy reporting or commentating? He hasn't commentated on anything for a while!
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes even less sense given that talkSPORT had continued to provide commentaries from every matchround of the Champions League even after all of the British teams had gone out. Had they switched to reports-only coverage after the Round of 16 you perhaps would have expected this call.

Going by their coverage of previous finals I doubt acquiring rights would have been an issue, so I can only assume it was a question of costs. Perhaps they decided to use the money they would have spent on gaining commentary rights to the Champions League Final on picking up rights to the Europa League Final or England's games at the Under-21 European Championship or to channel more funds into their coverage of the British & Irish Lions tour.

talkSPORT's decision to cover the Under-21 Euros has only recently been made public and they might have decided that covering those games, which are only available on Sky Sports in the UK, would be a better move commercially than doing the Champions League Final - a one-off game that most people interested will have been able to watch on TV as it was available free-to-air on a Saturday evening. But this is purely speculation on my part, as you two have said it is a strange call given their coverage of the quarter and semi-finals.

Have TS done CL commentary on any of the games that were on ITV?

They seemed to have a policy of going for the game that wasn't on ITV for most of the season.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Was Roddy reporting or commentating? He hasn't commentated on anything for a while!
    I'm pretty sure that he was commentating when I dipped in briefly. I wish I had been up the road at the GAA grounds in Ruislip where London got its first Senior Gaelic Football Championship win since 1977. I had to follow the match on RTE Radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Have TS done CL commentary on any of the games that were on ITV?

They seemed to have a policy of going for the game that wasn't on ITV for most of the season.

They have, on five occasions this season. We actually had this discussion back in February: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64259290#post64259290

When the British teams were in the competition, talkSPORT's match selection policy actually seemed to be that they preferred to pick up away matches for the British clubs whenever possible, although they did commentate on a couple of Chelsea's home fixtures on nights when they didn't have this option.

As such, talkSPORT provided commentary on games that were live on ITV on three of the six Tuesday matchnights during the group stage as I have detailed in the post I have linked to above. During the Round of 16, they were fortunate in the respect that all three away legs of the ties involving British clubs fell on Wednesday nights and therefore were televised on Sky Sports. They provided commentaries on all three of those games but didn't do so on any of the home legs for the British teams, which I guess will have lead to you coming to the conclusion you have come to.

Beyond the exit of the British clubs, talkSPORT provided commentaries on both legs of Barcelona's quarter-final with Paris Saint-Germain and semi-final against Bayern Munich. Both first leg matches were Tuesday games, thus they provided commentaries on ITV matches on those nights too.

Elsewhere, Talk Radio Europe has just finished covering Malaga v Deportivo La Coruna in La Liga, Manuel Pellegrini's last home game in charge of Malaga. Paul Breen-Turner flew solo on commentary from La Rosaleda with Kenny Jones presenting from the studio. PBT also provided a pre-match preview on talkSPORT's The Press Pass just before kick-off at 7pm BST.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 27th May - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Matchday Live from Wembley Stadium alongside Matt Holland and Stan Collymore, followed by Call Collymore from Wembley Stadium

Championship Play-Off Final
    Crystal Palace v Watford - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (3pm commentary), with Ian Abrahams at pitchside and Carl Ralley producing

Cricket: Second Test Match
    England v New Zealand - Jack Bannister
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Championship play-off final on 5Live:
    Mark Chapman presenting from Wembley with Chris Coleman. commentary from Darren Fletcher and John Murray with Robbie Savage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this is Fletcher's last commentary on 5Live?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, unless Fletcher is part of 5live's team at the u21 Euros in June then I'd guess it is.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit surprised they had Fletcher doing this if he's leaving. I wonder if we'll see him pop up on 5 live at all in the future, perhaps at major tournaments etc. when BT won't need him?
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    Crystal Palace v Watford (Wembley)
    BBC Radio Five Live John Murray, Darren Fletcher and Steve Claridge (commentary) with (?)Juliette Ferrington(?)
    BBC London Nick Godwin, Phil Parry and Steve Froggatt (commentary) with Emma Jones
    BBC 3CR Jon Marks with (to me) unknown summarisers (commentary) with Geoff Doyle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Crystal Palace v Watford (Wembley)
    BBC Radio Five Live John Murray, Darren Fletcher and Steve Claridge (commentary) with (?)Juliette Ferrington(?)
    BBC London Nick Godwin, Phil Parry and Steve Froggatt (commentary) with Emma Jones
    BBC 3CR Jon Marks with (to me) unknown summarisers (commentary) with Geoff Doyle

it was actually Robbie Savage for 5Live as detailed in my earlier post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darren Fletcher confirmed on twitter he'll be doing the U21 Championship this summer.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    It looks as though talkSPORT are broadcasting a new series of programmes called 'Club Histories'. It begins with a history of Arsenal FC on Saturday 8th June between 22:00-00:00.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 29th May - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: International Special from Wembley Stadium alongside Stan Collymore

International Friendly
    England v Republic of Ireland - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (8pm commentary), with John Anderson at pitchside and Carl Ralley producing

Stan Collymore has tweeted that he'll be co-commentating on Eurosport's coverage of the Under-20 World Cup this summer. I believe this will be his first television work since his spell on Channel 5, as I don't think he was involved in the Midlands edition of BBC One's Late Kick Off this season.

The Club Histories series sounds like it will be a good listen, on the face of it it is a decent format for a summer sports programme that IMO is a better option than putting My Sporting Life on Saturday nights as well as on Sunday evenings. It wouldn't surprise me if Danny Kelly will present this show given the strong job he does on MSL - although for obvious club supporting reasons, perhaps Mike Bovill would be a better choice for the Arsenal edition!
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 29.5.13

Presented from Wembley by Mark Pougatch with David Pleat

England v Republic of Ireland - John Murray, Danny Mills & Alan Green (commentary) Ian Dennis reporting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the final whistle last night, Mark Saggers confirmed that Sam Matterface and Ray Parlour will be talkSPORT's commentary team on Sunday's Brazil v England friendly international. Danny Kelly will present the live coverage with Saggers heading out to Hong Kong and Australia to cover the British & Irish Lions tour. John Kreger reported on the USA v Belgium international friendly for Extra Time with Mike Graham overnight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 29th May - RTE 2fm

Damien O'Meara presented Game On from Dublin alongside John McDonnell and Damien Richardson

International Friendly
    England v Republic of Ireland - George Hamilton and Ray Houghton (8pm commentary), with Tony O'Donoghue reporting

Ray Houghton was also involved in 5 Live Sport's build-up to kick-off from 7pm (this was mentioned on the talkSPORT Chat thread as being slightly surprising given that he's been a regular pundit on talkSPORT since 2001 and wasn't heard on last night's Kick Off), who also had Conor McNamara involved in their coverage from Wembley Stadium as a reporter.

Newstalk 106-108FM

Ger Gilroy presented Off The Ball alongside Cian Murtagh

International Friendly
    England v Republic of Ireland - Joe Molloy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read in Charles Sale's column this monring that Graham Taylor won't be working on the Brazil V England game tomorrow because of a serious knee injury that might jeapordise his chances of going to next year's World Cup.

I hope Taylor recovers swiftly. Him and Jimmy Armfield are my favourite pundits on 5 LIve. Sadly I doubt Armfield will be commentating at the World Cup next year and so it would be a shame if Taylor too was to be missing.