moderate learning difficulty

aneesarzazaaneesarzaza Posts: 82
Forum Member
hi, does any one have this condition? how does it effect your daily life?

Comments

• alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure there is one specific "moderate learning difficulty" but rather it is an umbrella term for a multitude of issues.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My oldest son has a moderate learning difficulty and was statemented at school so had learning support assistant. He had other issues such a ADHD and challenging behaviour. He found learning quite difficult and often things needed to be explained in different ways before he could understand a concept.

Leaving school was difficult and we struggled to get the support he needed. He is now an adult with his own family and someone who has triumphed through many years of difficulty. I will not say things do not affect my son but if he does not understand something he now has the confidence to ask us or his partner and not pretend he does understand for fear of being seen as stupid.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to have a statement for one thing or another these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I think you need to elaborate a little.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    RickWhite wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have a statement for one thing or another these days.

right if you knew just how lengthy and in depth the process of getting a statement of special educational need is you wouldnt say that

everyone?

my son has one, and so do 2 others in his year.

then theres 3 others in the entire school.

hardly everyone is it?

not all of them come with funding either, but my sons does, and believe me if he didnt need it the council would not fund it.

your little comment is insulting to those who need the help they get from their statement,

and in answer to the OP, the thread you put in GD has some links to common learning DISABILITIES in it. And also points out they are lifelong conditions not just about learning
  • dancingdaisydancingdaisy Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Statements are incredibly difficult to get and schools don't like applying for them as it labels a child, most schools will apply for funding without statements, so you're wrong Rick.

As for the OP's question, it depends on the difficulty, but in my experience a lot also depends on the persons character, for example a child with MLD may have behaviour problems through a lack of self esteem, others know that they have MLD and will work harder to overcome it.
    So it's hard to answer without more detail.