Options

I don't want to cut grass that is not my grass.

rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
Grass verge next to my home is not in my boundaries but it's getting unruly. Called council and they said it's not their land and so won't cut it. I am waiting to hear from an other council if it's theirs but I suspect it is unregistered land.

What am I to do as I hate cutting grass especially if it's nothing to do with me. It's quite long and would take time, a long extension lead and my electric but most of all i don't want to cut it.

Comments

• Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay a kid to cut it. The world is full of kids looking for odd jobs. Or contact your local scout leader.
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only two options are there not? either you cut t or ignore it, your choce, personally I would keep it cut. toss a coin :D
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a goat and tether it there
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean if it's a small bit, I'd just do it but I see where you're coming from, once you start, you'll feel like you're taking this on as your duty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scuby wrote: »
    only two options are there not? either you cut t or ignore it, your choce, personally I would keep it cut. toss a coin :D

Well I feel pressure from the neighbours to cut it as everyone down the road cuts theirs but its not as long as part near me plus I hate cutting grass and they are all retired I suspect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    I mean if it's a small bit, I'd just do it but I see where you're coming from, once you start, you'll feel like you're taking this on as your duty.

Exactly this and it's not small at all I would say a good 40-50 meters long
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    If it's unregistered, just fence it in ~ you will soon find out if anyone owns it, and if you don't hear you get to keep it.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »

Best idea yet.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone round here cuts the verge outside their house . Its just a community thing and keeps the environment you live in tidy
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want it to look nice as it is near your property why not just cut it yourself?
    I pick litter up which is not my job to do if it gets blown near my house, if I waited for the council lads I could wait ages and ages.
    I like my place to look good and that includes areas that are not my responsibility as such, so I just get on and do it.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Everyone round here cuts the verge outside their house . Its just a community thing and keeps the environment you live in tidy

Exactly :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »

Yes but I am lazy and don't like cutting grass but suspect this is the correct thing to do really... bugger :(
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cut it and send the council an invoice, it'll soon get them to work out who it belongs to and who knows they might not mind you invoicing them £50 a month for running a lawnmower over it and you could be making £600 a year :D
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    Grass verge next to my home is not in my boundaries but it's getting unruly. Called council and they said it's not their land and so won't cut it. I am waiting to hear from an other council if it's theirs but I suspect it is unregistered land.

What am I to do as I hate cutting grass especially if it's nothing to do with me. It's quite long and would take time, a long extension lead and my electric but most of all i don't want to cut it.

As another poster said - if the council is claiming it isn't their land, then fence it in and claim it as your own. I'm not sure how many years it is, but if your move to claim the land goes unchallenged for a number of years, it'll become yours.

It is also possible that the land IS yours, but the deeds are incorrect - it wouldn't be the first time!
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Would the council still say it wasn't theirs even if the Highway agency say its theirs either way they may say you can't put a fence around it
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would the council still say it wasn't theirs even if the Highway agency say its theirs either way they may say you can't put a fence around it

Don't forget the only employee seeing this will be the guy on his mower and if he can't mow it all he's going to do is carry on and perhaps take a photo and wait for their legal team to sort it out as they'll be paid to mow what they're told to and not an inch extra
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but I am lazy and don't like cutting grass but suspect this is the correct thing to do really... bugger :(

I hate cutting the grass too (so much so I am considering fake grass for my back garden :D ) but do the verges outside my house and often the neighbours too. Just keeps the place looking nice and doesn't take long in the grand scheme of things. And is a good bit of exercise.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »

haha love it!

On a serious note, I would resent cutting it too and to be honest would just leave it as I am also lazy and pay a gardener to do my own lawn (actually other people round here do tend to cut the verges; I wouldn't but I'm lucky and there isn't one outside my house)
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut it or watch rats take up home in the overgrown grass,
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Get a good weed killer and write in big letters My Council cant be bothered to cut the grass, or any eye catching slogan Years ago in Bristol prisoners were force to plant daffodil bulbs next to the M32 some smart arse planted different colours and the next spring in huge letters the words f**k off appeared:D it was soon cut down
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    oldcrakpot wrote: »
    Hi
    Get a good weed killer and write in big letters My Council cant be bothered to cut the grass, or any eye catching slogan Years ago in Bristol prisoners were force to plant daffodil bulbs next to the M32 some smart arse planted different colours and the next spring in huge letters the words f**k off appeared:D it was soon cut down

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly this and it's not small at all I would say a good 40-50 meters long

The front or side of your house is 40-50 metres long?
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The front or side of your house is 40-50 metres long?

Not inconceivable that the side is that long - 15m front garden, 20m back and 10m for the house.

OP - ask your gardener how much they want to run the mower over it once a month - if its a regular shape and flat it may not take him too long if he has a decent mower.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sprinkle lots of wildflower seeds into the grass now and leave them to germinate next year.

It'll look pretty and you only need to cut it once, after the flowers set seed for next year. Pretty and the minimum of effort for you.

I too don't really see why every patch of grass has to be manicured into neatness. I dislike rubbish and the like flying around but a patch of long grass is a bother to no one, good for small wildlife, particularly insects and the few birds that will eat the ripe seeds and doesn't need to be tamed.
  • Options
    USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask your neighbours if they know who owns it. It may turn out that the land belonged to the builder who built your houses. Chances are the builder will have dissolved their company once the houses were built which could mean that the land belongs to no one.

If you need to cross this land to get to your land then you need to know this. Google 'ransom strip' to find out what can happen in the worst case.

If the land is unregistered then start looking after it, and after a few years register it yourself.