Options

ITV, Sky, C4 and 5 SUCK!

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Bundyman wrote: »
    The fair thing to do would be to scrap the TVL. ...but i realise some will argue anything in defence of the BBC and TVL:rolleyes:

Surely that would be disastrous for ITV - think about it - two major channels respected the world over suddenly have advertising space available to buy. Primetime slots on ITV then wouldn't have the same value.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarewolf wrote: »
    Surely that would be disastrous for ITV - think about it - two major channels respected the world over suddenly have advertising space available to buy. Primetime slots on ITV then wouldn't have the same value.
    Not forgetting CBBC, Cbeebies, BBC Three, BBC Four and News 24 of course. And quite possibly the national radio channels impacting commercial radio, as well as the local and regional stations.
  • Options
    pricesoutpricesout Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of these SUCK! I mean honestly who gives a damn about Echo Beach, Endless repeats of Malcolm in the Middle and Futurama, Britain's Real Monarch and Neighbours!!!!!

The BBC has a lot more healthier programming such as Doctor Who, Torchwood, Match of the Day, Eastenders and more!

All channels show good stuff, and all channels show some real tripe too.

Though the difference the each channels ratios of good:bad between BBC2/C4 and say Nuts TV is quite apparent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of these SUCK! I mean honestly who gives a damn about Echo Beach, Endless repeats of Malcolm in the Middle and Futurama, Britain's Real Monarch and Neighbours!!!!!

The BBC has a lot more healthier programming such as Doctor Who, Torchwood, Match of the Day, Eastenders and more!

this is a stupid thread of no topical subject. you have an opinion mine is different but really this is not worthy of a thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom1007 wrote: »
    But they [the BBC] can be blamed for not providing for the 16-24 age group in the way that Channel 4 does...
    I've never understood why it is thought that the 16-24 age group needs its own programming. Most people I know in that age group enjoy (and dislike) the same programmes as everyone else.

Coast, The Tudors, Mitchell & Webb, The Sky At Night, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, Life on Mars, The Mighty Boosh, Torchwood, Spooks, University Challenge, The Catherine Tate Show, Cranford, Mad Men, Eastenders... don't any of these appeal to you? What sort of programmes do appeal?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,973
    Forum Member
    You are cherry picking certain shows to show her, I'm talking about TV as a whole 30 years ago. She could not know whatr it was like, as she wasn't there.

A few shows from your video collection will not demonstrate that.

As i said, It's a crap excuse...try again!

Amongst many others she's seen the examples you gave and listed as good, that was enough for me but I notice you've now moved the goalposts, 'crap' debating IMO so I'll leave you to it.

Oh and from another post of yours...
    Personally i would say that Sky/FX/Hallmark/History /4 & Five have the best shows.

.. yet you say tv was better 30yrs ago, I'd stay in the kitchen if I was you.
    To be honest the 10 or so minutes i saw of the new Dr Who was so bad i went in the kitchen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarewolf wrote: »

Would it be a bad thing for anybody other than itv’s profit margins and itv itself?
  • Options
    AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is all more than offset by rubbish such as:

Casualty
    Holby City
    National Lottery programmes
    Cash in the Attic
    Hotel Babylon
    Changing Rooms

Don't get me wrong, the BBC does put some good programmes out, but to claim it's output is all wonderful and the output of the commercial broadcasters is rubbish is frankly having a laugh. Especially when the BBC expects you to pay for it's unbridled crap through the licence fee, whereas if you don't watch the crap on the commercial broadcasters it affects their advertising revenue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    With the amount of competition in today's multichannel landscape, greedy advertisers, profit margins and channels facing not so promising future's it's a wonder any British channels are producing good programming.

But I have to disagree and say that TV today isn't all awful, yes some of it is American and there's lots of repeats, but there's also lots of choice.

Would be nice to see more homemade British programming, but unfortunately, just like the British film industry, making programs over here is very expensive and the advertising TV companies can sell for tried and tested American shows is much higher than that of untested expensive British content. And the BBC do produce enough for the license fee IMO, so...

I'm a frequent watcher of: Never Mind The Buzzcocks/QI/Mock Of The Week/Have I Got News For You, Documentaries (such as Transexuals in Iran the other week), The Late Edition, Charley Brooker's Screenwipe, Dawn Goes... on BBC Three, Top Gear, That Mitchell And Webb Look, Don't Get Done Get Dom and several of BBC 3 and 4's music output (such as the brilliant Pop On Trial season and Sound).
  • Options
    well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gawd wrote: »
    Would it be a bad thing for anybody other than itv’s profit margins and itv itself?

It would for british television as a whole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched BBC at home since 1994...that was the last time i saw a complete BBC show. I've 10 mins of shows here & there at other peoples houses.

To be honest the 10 or so minutes i saw of the new Dr Who was so bad i went in the kitchen

You die for that statement...unless it was the one with Peter Kay in or the one before the final 2 parter of series 2 in which case I agree :D
  • Options
    pricesoutpricesout Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »

Casualty
    Holby City
    Cash in the Attic
    Hotel Babylon
    Changing Rooms

This list may be rubbish to you, but these programmes are very popular. Are you saying the millions of people that watch them think they are rubbish? Or are your tastes different?
    TBH, they are not my cup of tea, but I can see the value in them as millions like these programmes
    Don't get me wrong, the BBC does put some good programmes out, but to claim it's output is all wonderful and the output of the commercial broadcasters is rubbish is frankly having a laugh. Especially when the BBC expects you to pay for it's unbridled crap through the licence fee, whereas if you don't watch the crap on the commercial broadcasters it affects their advertising revenue.

Most posters in this forum do not claim that everything the BBC do is all wonderful and the output of the commercial broadcasters is rubbish. It is a mixed bag.

I personally think the BBC still is slightly ahead of other channels in showing original programming. There is some great stuff on C4, and occasionally ITV1, but I think the BBC is the most consistent
  • Options
    Formula1MadFormula1Mad Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pricesout wrote: »
    I personally think the BBC still is slightly ahead of other channels in showing original programming. There is some great stuff on C4, and occasionally ITV1, but I think the BBC is the most consistent

I tend to agree with you, although i'm sure the BBC would do just as well if it were funded through advertising.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Casualty
    Holby City
    Cash in the Attic
    Hotel Babylon
    Changing Rooms.

I like all those shows above, except the National Lottery and Hotel Babylon:)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched BBC at home since 1994...that was the last time i saw a complete BBC show. I've 10 mins of shows here & there at other peoples houses.

10 minutes of shows? You're not qualified to comment, it's like reading only the first few pages of a book, you ALWAYS miss the best bit.