✭✭
    It gets better with re-watching!
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gets better with re-watching!
    Many of RTD's episodes do.

And while I don't think I can join the club, as "classic" is going a bit far for me right now, I will claim associate membership under the banner of the "It's not as bad as people make it out to be" Association.
  • Options
    The Face of BoeThe Face of Boe Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it too, but then I love E.L.O so having their music in the background in this episode helped. I also really enjoyed Gridlock last year which was panned by many on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gridlock was brilliant!
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    While not the episodes biggest fan I did like the "normal person's reactions to the "big" events thus far in Who" scene (Christmas Day Spaceship, Slitheen crash, Autons etc )

That was very well done.

And it tickles me that Peter Kay puts on a posh accent to portray a human then reverts to his northern accent for the absorbaloff...:D
    (And the thing about the twin planet of racsacoriaphalapatorious being klum, or something! )

Plus if he ever gets bored Elton could smash up his girlfriend and use her as a jigsaw....:D
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    ...And it tickles me that Peter Kay puts on a posh accent to portray a human then reverts to his northern accent for the absorbaloff...:D...

Lots of planets have a north! :p
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love and Monsters is a stinker.....and heres why..

Your experience of Who is often dictated to by who you watch it with. Old Who was watched with my parents, generally on a cold winter afternoon at the **** end of the seventies. As the new series comes back I watched it with my partner - parents and friends ringing soon after to gauge my reaction to an episode compared with theirs. But I have been lucky enough to watch it with my neighbour's kids, who are aged 9 and 11, with their father. We started with the Cybermen episodes and carried on until we hit Love & Monsters.

The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit thrilled them to bits and they were looking forward to this episode. Despite having monsters at the very beginning (was THAT prosethetic suit far better then the one they gave Peter Kay!) they slowly lost interest. This adventure isn't really very good at keeping children interested. Which was a blessing in disguise as we have Elton explaining "we have a kind of lovelife..."

Their father's mouth dropped open.

And just in case you didn't get what Elton was talking about we had Ursula get embarassed with "don't tell them that..." Is this really for children? I don't know whether RTD was trying to be daring or controversial but he came across as puerile. Once again his toilet humour ruins things.

The last ten minutes are some of the worst Who you will ever see. Peter Kay leaping over the desk and wobbling down an alley in a big shoddy suit was easily the nadir of season 2 for me. But if you find a big fat man moving his arse to reveal a trapped woman underneath and saying it "tasted like chicken" then you will probably will get a kick out of Love & Monsters.

There was something ghastly about this one. I bet the regulars thanked their lucky stars that they only appeared for five minutes. Bold, exciting and innovative it may be - but there was something rotten in the state of Denmark, and it left a very nasty taste in my mouth. Who has been a massive success, its ratings are huge, its actors stars, and it is slowly conquering America (again?) on the Sci-Fi channel. It can afford to drop a clanger like this one. It won't seriously damage the series. If it becomes the norm then we may have another season 24 on our hands.

But I cant see that happening - but I do see more cheap little fillers like this. There are fans out there who see it as a work of genius: a touching commentary on friendship and fandom. I don't. I see it as a result of a producer/writer whose clout is so massive no one has tapped him on the shoulder and said "Er, Russell - sorry mate, but this one is crap... perhaps you shouldn't go ahead with it."

And the thing is, I honestly believe we will see worse from RTD before he leaves the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signed up, it's a brilliant episode. Far better than Smith and Jones!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I just maybe make the Tea for the club?

I agree with Slug-its not quite 'a classic' but it does have some very funny moments-love the chase at the beginning, and I'm a huge fan of Marc Warren, and I used to love E.L.O.

But Peter Kaye (whom i normally love) kinda let it down for me.

So I'll just make the Tea and serve it with a smile if thats OK:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a great fan of this episode (although I did watch it again last week) but it does demonstrate how diverse the Doctor Who universe can be in terms of storylines and types of story.

It is one reason that DW is so popular. One persons stinker is another person's favourite episode and if you don't like it, next week there will be something competely different, like episode 4 of City of Death (10 points for the first person who gets my warped sense of humour and can explain the reference ;) ).
  • Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love and Monsters is a stinker.....and heres why..

Your experience of Who is often dictated to by who you watch it with. Old Who was watched with my parents, generally on a cold winter afternoon at the **** end of the seventies. As the new series comes back I watched it with my partner - parents and friends ringing soon after to gauge my reaction to an episode compared with theirs. But I have been lucky enough to watch it with my neighbour's kids, who are aged 9 and 11, with their father. We started with the Cybermen episodes and carried on until we hit Love & Monsters.

The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit thrilled them to bits and they were looking forward to this episode. Despite having monsters at the very beginning (was THAT prosethetic suit far better then the one they gave Peter Kay!) they slowly lost interest. This adventure isn't really very good at keeping children interested. Which was a blessing in disguise as we have Elton explaining "we have a kind of lovelife..."

Their father's mouth dropped open.

And just in case you didn't get what Elton was talking about we had Ursula get embarassed with "don't tell them that..." Is this really for children? I don't know whether RTD was trying to be daring or controversial but he came across as puerile. Once again his toilet humour ruins things.

The last ten minutes are some of the worst Who you will ever see. Peter Kay leaping over the desk and wobbling down an alley in a big shoddy suit was easily the nadir of season 2 for me. But if you find a big fat man moving his arse to reveal a trapped woman underneath and saying it "tasted like chicken" then you will probably will get a kick out of Love & Monsters.

There was something ghastly about this one. I bet the regulars thanked their lucky stars that they only appeared for five minutes. Bold, exciting and innovative it may be - but there was something rotten in the state of Denmark, and it left a very nasty taste in my mouth. Who has been a massive success, its ratings are huge, its actors stars, and it is slowly conquering America (again?) on the Sci-Fi channel. It can afford to drop a clanger like this one. It won't seriously damage the series. If it becomes the norm then we may have another season 24 on our hands.

But I cant see that happening - but I do see more cheap little fillers like this. There are fans out there who see it as a work of genius: a touching commentary on friendship and fandom. I don't. I see it as a result of a producer/writer whose clout is so massive no one has tapped him on the shoulder and said "Er, Russell - sorry mate, but this one is crap... perhaps you shouldn't go ahead with it."

And the thing is, I honestly believe we will see worse from RTD before he leaves the series.
    The irony is, reading your comments in this and the other 'underrated' threads you're coming across exactly like Victor Kennedy.

A small group of people come together to share a mutual appreciation of something and are having a nice jolly time until one person comes in and says "No, no, listen to me! I'm right and you're all wrong AND HERE'S WHY!!" :rolleyes::D
  • Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One persons stinker is another person's favourite episode and if you don't like it, next week there will be something competely different, like episode 4 of City of Death (10 points for the first person who gets my warped sense of humour and can explain the reference ;) ).

"Since it has no call to be here, the art lies in the fact that it is here!"

"Exquisite... absolutely exquisite."

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »
    "Since it has no call to be here, the art lies in the fact that it is here!"

"Exquisite... absolutely exquisite."

;)
    10 points to Mansun. :)
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This adventure isn't really very good at keeping children interested. Which was a blessing in disguise as we have Elton explaining "we have a kind of lovelife..."

I'm sorry - what did you think of when he said that?

I took it to mean that hey have a kind of lovelife, in that although she's a pavement slab, he loves and cares for her, and she loves and cares for him.

Now, if they'd said sexlife, perhaps I could understand your shock - but IF a child had asked about that line, it would have been so very easy to explain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love & Monsters was always going to polarise fandom.

Elton represents the innocent joy of Who when you're a kid hiding behind the sofa.

Victor Kennedy represents the cynical "Comic Book Guy" of adulthood.

Your view of L+M is therefore bound to be predicated upon how close you are to your childhood self.

Ditto other much maligned episodes like AOL.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, sorry, for me it's one of the few episodes that doesn't get better on a second or third showing. Every season has one (like Torchwood had Random Shoes) that I jusy can't get my head round at all and leaves me cold. I never liked ELO either...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed Love and Monsters - from the first viewing as it happens. This episode is a good example of why Doctor Who has lasted so long: Experimenting and not being afraid to do something different. A Doctor Who story that has very little of the main title character in? Brilliant and brave.
  • Options
    Dr TheteDr Thete Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh goody - an appreciation thread for the 'Critically Acclaimed Love & Monsters' (or CALAMity as many of us prefer) - officially the single most reviewed and critically appreciated, by the press, Doctor Who story of all time. :)

Which gives me the perfect excuse to repost this:

There were more than ten positive to highly positive, even glowing, newspaper (and Radio Times) previews and reviews, for Love & Monsters, from:
    • The Sun
    • The Times
    • The Daily Mail
    • The Observer
    • The Radio Times
    • The Evening Standard
    • The Mail on Sunday
    • The Scotsman
    • The Daily Star
    • The Sun
    • The Telegraph

That's not including the magazines - there were three or four of them too.

In The Times we had:
    it was an exercise in the scale of the confidence and whimsy an artist can have in his or her Imperial Phase. An entirely digressionary treatise on the joys of ELO, a one-second clip of Elton John, the careless joy of the Doctor and Rose trying to kill a non-essential alien in the style of the Two Stooges — and then cutting it all dead with an unexpected, chilling line of dialogue, “Anyone getting close to the Doctor is eventually destroyed.”

Even when playing with the loveliest toy a scriptwriter ever had, Davies is hard as nails.

In The Mail (from reviewer who had very low expectations of Doctor Who) we had:
    To my surprise and delight, I found the yarn about geeky Elton Pope (Marc Warren being sweet and sympathetic, for once) - his life-time's search for an explanation as to why as a small boy he saw The Doctor in his front room, and for true love - completely captivating.

far from being a disappointment, the story, the acting and the jokes were all strong enough that I found myself carried along by an intriguing quest that culminated in as bizarre and affecting an outcome as I have encountered in a very long time.

Russell T Davies is no obvious storyteller.

He is a man who takes risks, and there can be few things riskier than writing an entire episode about such a sad and lonely young man as Elton Pope.

All I can say is that my disbelief was suspended to the very end. I don't think I could ever find trye love with a female head embedded in a paving stone, but I found Elton's final soliloquy genuinely moving.

From The Observer:
    Russell T Davies's revived sci-fi stalwart and its new star, the very suitable David Tennant, only get better as this second series (the latter's first) goes on.

Davies wrote the episode himself, and it is shot through with that humourous, self-reverential charm which have made the series such a gem.

In the Radio Times:
    Writer Russell T Davies has fashioned a curious, elegiac and rather sad exploration of love and loss

It's a highly unusual episode, full of Davies trademark quirks. And if you don't have a good cry when Elton remembers his mum, well, then you are made of stern stuff.

The Times again:
    It is a charming episode in a brilliant series.

The Evening Standard:
    Fortunately for the rest of us, Davies doesn't much care what the purists think, and with this self-penned episode, a quirky yet touching story of love and loss, his reinvention of Doctor Who is more or less complete.

The Mail on Sunday:
    This new-look version of the family drama gets better and better.

Now for this year's tenth instalment of the Tenth Doctor's adventures, Love and Monsters, another tale comes wrapped in an adventure that again surprises with its theme and the direction it takes.

The Scotsman:
    My sources on the ground tell me that this particular episode has been the subject of much consternation among core Dr Who fans. The handbags at dawn have been caused by the fact that Dr Who has deviated into comedy.

This was Phoenix Nights meets Dr Who and by the time the Tardis arrived to half-save the day I could almost hear the dismayed chatter of shellshocked former fans. It's true, this episode came close to being a spoof, but it was actually quite nice to have a rest from the Doctor. Even saving the world gets boring sometimes.

Daily Star:
    Wasn't Peter Kay brilliantly sinister in Saturdays Doctor Who

once again the episode itself was inspired

And so on.

As for the general public reaction - to hear some you'd think it was hated - yet according to its AI score the average mark given by the Pulse panel (the several thousand viewers who rate their appreciation of TV shows) was 7.6/10 - where 7/10 is considered 'good' and 7.7/10 is the drama average ('average' in the quantative, not qualitative sense) dramas generally getting a decent AI).
    ✭✭✭
    It is a brilliant episode despite having many faults. I hate the dodgy comedy involving Peter Kay - thank god he didn't play Elton as Marc Warren was brilliant and a must for potential future assistant - and stuff like him running after Elton down the street; the bit with the alien that looks like a Weaville from Torchwood chasing the Doctor was poor too but the majority of the episode was fantastic. Seeing Elton start with nothing, get a great life and then gradually have it taken away from him was pretty sad, him being the 'normal person' as mentioned earlier is so true as it's great to see it from a completely different person's POV, Jackie was actually a great character for once. Her performances in this episode were brilliant, especially when seeing how lonely she is too.

So yeah even though this episode has a lot of awful humour, it is still a great episode because what else is on offer is so strong. It would only be better if Elton would return in a future episode. Oh and the 'bit of a lovelife' line is hilarious. Very risque but very funny too :D
  • Options
    bradavonbradavon Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I already said single handily the worst of the New Who series by far. Let's replace the Doctor in his own show with Peter Kay, brilliant! What an awesome idea.

As it happens I think Peter Kay is funny but he is so, so, so wrong for the Who universe. I'm surprised RTD didn't having him farting too.
  • Options
    bradavonbradavon Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I already said single handily the worst of the New Who series by far. Let's replace the Doctor in his own show with Peter Kay, brilliant! What an awesome idea. Doctor Who without Doctor Who, just fantastic.

As it happens I think Peter Kay is funny but he is so, so, so wrong for the Who universe. I'm surprised RTD didn't having him farting too.
    twinkle42 wrote: »
    Experimenting and not being afraid to do something different. A Doctor Who story that has very little of the main title character in? Brilliant and brave.
    It would be if that was why, due to time constraints they had to film two episodes at the same time so Tennant or Piper couldn't be in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Thete wrote: »
    As for the general public reaction - to hear some you'd think it was hated - yet according to its AI score the average mark given by the Pulse panel (the several thousand viewers who rate their appreciation of TV shows) was 7.6/10 - where 7/10 is considered 'good' and 7.7/10 is the drama average ('average' in the quantative, not qualitative sense) dramas generally getting a decent AI).
    Which is despite what the ProLAMs claim the lowest since the show returned . That means people that the public thought that this story was average ins ted of good to excellent like every other story
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Yes, average perhaps, but clearly not awful!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I like it more and more everytime I rewatch it.
    it's poignantly beautiful in the way it shows how Jackie is affected by Rose galvanting off across the universes, and how Elton has been affected by the traumatising thing he experienced in his childhood.

it shows different ways in which the Doctor (and aliens) can affect people.
    IMO some of the best writing RTD has done.