Options

Non prescription depression medication

fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
Forum Member
Without going into the gory details I split up from my partner of eight years just over two weeks ago (his decision). I though I was doing OK but in the last few of days everything has seemed so black. I feel constantly sad and tearful and have started to wish that when I go to sleep I don't wake up. I have two boys relying on me and a mortgage to pay so taking time off is not an option. One of my jobs is teaching fitness classes so I have to stand up in front of loads of people and smile for hours- I normally get in the car afterwards and cry my eyes out.

I don't really want to bother the doctor and I'm not sure I really need anti-depressants for what is, after all, a reactive depression. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of herbal medication that you can buy over the counter- I would really love to feel a bit happy again.

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to your local health shop and ask for liquid Valerian (very fast acting). I went through a bad patch in work a few years back and this helped me no end - you know when you feel ready to stop taking it as well, as it provides a very natural anti-anxiety effect.

Be careful though as it does taste like crap. There's one brand which comes in tincture form, mixed with weak alcohol.. that's the most palatable one.. 20 odd drops in a cup of water in the morning and you're done! :)

Good luck!

edit - you could also try St John's Wort as well. In fact, I'd try this first.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    St Johns wort is supposed to affect a lot of other medications so be careful if you're going to try it.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just congratulate the OP on their very sensible view on what's currently happening to them. You will recover, because you've identified the cause, you're allowing yourself to experience the feelings, and you will work through them. I agree about the valerian - at the very least, it will give you a good night's sleep, and everything looks better when you're not exhausted. I've not tried St John's Wort, but I believe that in some cases it can be as effective as prescription antidepressants. It's true that it does affect other medications though, so if you're taking anything else, ask about it first.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I've not tried St John's Wort, but I believe that in some cases it can be as effective as prescription antidepressants. It's true that it does affect other medications though, so if you're taking anything else, ask about it first.

I would also add that it can take several weeks to have any effect, and for some people it will have no effect at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks for suggestions- I will go to the health shop tomorrow. I am taking a half dose of nytol at night to help me sleep. I am aware St John's Wort affects the Pill but in my current situation that shouldn't be too much of a problem...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    You could try 5-HTP as well. It's not an anti-depressant as such, but it increases serotonin levels in your body. It's pretty fast acting as well.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I think with regards to St Johns Wort it depends how bad the depression is: "Studies suggest that St. John's wort is of minimal benefit in treating major depression"

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/stjohnswort/sjw-and-depression.htm

I have tried reading some self-help books recently at night: things like How To Make Yourself Happier and all that malarky. Try the library!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    big_gav2 wrote: »
    You could try 5-HTP as well. It's not an anti-depressant as such, but it increases serotonin levels in your body. It's pretty fast acting as well.

You have to be very careful when taking this. Some people have enough serotonin, but their body just does not process it very well. These people are prone to serotonin syndrome and that can be fatal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was in pretty much the same situation, I went straight to the doctor - but I can understand that others are reluctant to take prescription meds...

When I had a very stressful time last year, I took a few drops of Rescue Remedy every day, and that seemed to help me a bit.

However, unfortunately, the only thing that really helps is time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I don't think you would be 'bothering' your doctor at all. You're juggling a split, two kids, a mortgage and a job all at the same time. When my dad left my mum after 22 years she had 6 weeks of councilling and it really helped. It might be good for you just to be able to talk to someone. They would probably give you short term counselling and if you feel you need more then they help you for a bit longer.

Whether it's short term or long term you're still suffering with depression and I can only reccommend going to see a doctor. Taking medication isn't really going to get to the route of the problem, so it may be prolonged if you don't seek help now. It's worth a shot anyway. You don't have to talk about the split, just having a rant about what gets on top of you in everyday life can help when you're in this situation.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Thankfully' my bf of 8 years dumping me co-incided with a curse of CBT I'd previously enrolled on, which I found helped. I know there are some websites out there that explain some basics of CBT as well, although I'm not sure what they are.

I saw the anti-depressants as a way of helping me through that time, along with the cbt - but it was still a long time before I felt 'normal' again. After 2 weeks, I was still a complete mess, not what you want to hear I guess, but 2 years on, he never even crosses my mind, except for when I think back on how far I've come in those 2 years
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »
    You have to be very careful when taking this. Some people have enough serotonin, but their body just does not process it very well. These people are prone to serotonin syndrome and that can be fatal.

Never heard of 5-htp inducing seratonin syndrome before :confused: sounds interesting, do you have a linky?
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done you for being practical and wanting to help yourself. I'd just like to give you a huge ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) as well though.

I've been there too, his choice to go, but in the long term he did me a huge, HUGE favour.(It was 30 years ago) It is unfair when the one who didn't make the decision is the one left to pick up the slack. Pamper yourself a bit when you can, I know you said you work but make a little time for yourself. Re-read a favourite book, watch a dvd with the boys, a bubble bath. Anything that makes you feel good. I know funds must be very tight, but do things which won't hurt the budget. I did all sorts of silly things with my son, jumping in puddles on a wet day, having a picnic in the garden or in the middle of the living room. It all sounds silly but it did lift the mood for me.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    Well done you for being practical and wanting to help yourself. I'd just like to give you a huge ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) as well though.

I've been there too, his choice to go, but in the long term he did me a huge, HUGE favour.(It was 30 years ago) It is unfair when the one who didn't make the decision is the one left to pick up the slack. Pamper yourself a bit when you can, I know you said you work but make a little time for yourself. Re-read a favourite book, watch a dvd with the boys, a bubble bath. Anything that makes you feel good. I know funds must be very tight, but do things which won't hurt the budget. I did all sorts of silly things with my son, jumping in puddles on a wet day, having a picnic in the garden or in the middle of the living room. It all sounds silly but it did lift the mood for me.:)

Thank you for the hug and advice. My 15 year old has just started going out with a girl and is all loved up which is quite ironic. I just hope he never gets his heart broken like his Mum!! I do try and pamper myself but the sadness I feel is there all the time and I'm finding it hard to concentrate- I have another job doing the finances for a charity and very nearly messed up payroll yesterday- I am normally so methodical.

I might go and talk to someone at the health food shop tomorrow but I can see that counselling may help. The split is not completely final yet - my ex has told me he needs time to think things through (he thinks he wants children and I don't want anymore and it's risky my age) so I have put my life on hold. I suppose there is a bit of me that hopes he will come back to me and I think I'm afraid of a counsellor pointing out that the chances of that happening are slim.

Thank you all for helpful advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might go and talk to someone at the health food shop tomorrow but I can see that counselling may help. The split is not completely final yet - my ex has told me he needs time to think things through (he thinks he wants children and I don't want anymore and it's risky my age) so I have put my life on hold. I suppose there is a bit of me that hopes he will come back to me and I think I'm afraid of a counsellor pointing out that the chances of that happening are slim.

Thank you all for helpful advice.

A counsellor is very unlikely to give an opinion like that, they're mostly there to listen. When I spoke about relationship problems with a counsellor of mine he simply went through all the situations I could find myself in, asked me if he was missing anything, allowed me to talk about how I'd feel and then helped push me in the direction of working out how I'd deal with each situation. He rarely ever gave me suggestions or opinions on what I would do, but encouraged me to think clearly and realistically about what was going on. It was actually very useful in my situation and helped me come to a decision. As you are on hold at the moment, they would more likely prepare you for whatever could happen next, as whatever happens it will probably won't be easy (it never is!). Obviously this is just my experience but it should be pretty similar if you were to give it a try :)

Having your life put on hold like this can be even more confusing than a split :( at least when a decision is made you know what to expect. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A counsellor is very unlikely to give an opinion like that, they're mostly there to listen. When I spoke about relationship problems with a counsellor of mine he simply went through all the situations I could find myself in, asked me if he was missing anything, allowed me to talk about how I'd feel and then helped push me in the direction of working out how I'd deal with each situation. He rarely ever gave me suggestions or opinions on what I would do, but encouraged me to think clearly and realistically about what was going on. It was actually very useful in my situation and helped me come to a decision. As you are on hold at the moment, they would more likely prepare you for whatever could happen next, as whatever happens it will probably won't be easy (it never is!). Obviously this is just my experience but it should be pretty similar if you were to give it a try :)

Having your life put on hold like this can be even more confusing than a split :( at least when a decision is made you know what to expect. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this.

Thank you I have taken your advice and made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow to see if I can get some counselling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent! Let us know how it goes. Good luck! :)