New Dan Brown book

xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There is a new Dan Brown book out soon called Inferno with the character Robert Langdon. The book links to Dante's Inferno. Has anyone read this? I'll have to, to understand the content. Am I in for a difficult read? :o

I do like classics by the way but have never been drawn to this.

Comments

• katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's necessary but I'm looking forward to it having really enjoyed all his other books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you will need to read Inferno to read Inferno. Dan Brown can't write for toffee and my 5 year old would understand all his novels no problem.
  • John DavyJohn Davy Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Haha, so true about Dan's awful writing skills. His biggest problem, though,:D is that he just writes the same type of book over and over again.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His last book was AWFUL.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I don't think you will need to read Inferno to read Inferno. Dan Brown can't write for toffee and my 5 year old would understand all his novels no problem.
    If your 5 year old could understand the excellent Da Vinci Code then you must have one talented kid. Or his mother is a bit of a pretentious snob perhaps?
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the snobbery towards Dan Brown books. He writes books he wants, they aren't high art but then I suspect he has never claimed they are.

Given the number they sell I suspect he does what he does, well enough. To answer the OPs question I suspect there will be more than enough exposition to cover what is needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    If your 5 year old could understand the excellent Da Vinci Code then you must have one talented kid. Or his mother is a bit of a pretentious snob perhaps?

Possibly. I stand not in judgement upon myself. Perhaps I should have said my opinion is that Dan Brown can't write for toffee. Because he can't. In my opinion :)

The Da vinci Code as a concept was excellent. I enjoyed the film.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the concepts and the films are good - but I can never finish the books....
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    His last book was AWFUL.
    I agree with you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually enjoy MOST Dan Brown books. They are what they are. They're not supposed to be great literature. They're criticised quite a lot but I'm not really sure why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wombat18 wrote: »
    I usually enjoy MOST Dan Brown books. They are what they are. They're not supposed to be great literature. They're criticised quite a lot but I'm not really sure why.

I just don't think he writes well - BUT I don't have to read them. Millions do, and really enjoy them. So for that reason, he deserves his success. And anyone that does love them, great. You should always read what you enjoy.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed all of his books (especially the non RL ones), but I hated the last one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the last one, too.

I think his stories are generally quite good so I manage to overlook the fact that I really don't like his writing style.
    The Lost Symbol though, in my opinion, had a very weak and predictable plot, so his (in my view) way of emphasising every point, as though his writers are too dumb to grasp what's going on otherwise, was even more apparent than usual.

That said, I'll still read the new one - he must be doing something right as he shifts enough copies of his books!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't particularly like his writing style either.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pictures of the covers have been released.
    UK & USA are going to be different, makes a nice change that I actually prefer the UK version.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21532027
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Dan Browns Da Vinci Code book which put me on the journey of finally realising that organised religion is bollox. I'd always thought you either believed the Christianity story, or you didn't. The fact that you could make up other versions of the story blew apart the sanctity of organised religion for me, and I've never looked back:)
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    His last book was AWFUL.

Was that the one where the villain was some tattooed, oiled up bodybuilder with no testicles?

I hated that book, but I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point and Digital Fortress.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really like his last book but have loved the others, I'm definitely not a book snob, if I enjoy something I don't care what others think!
    So I look forward to this next one :)