Options

Will we see Matt Smith regenerate into John Hurt

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
So we know john hurt is going to play the doctor in the 50th anniversary show, but how is this going to happen

I think we will se a regeneration, and john hurt will appear in front of clara, clara will know something is wrong, and run

Now the next bit will be interesting to see how it happens, how does matt smith doctor get back, and of course david tenant, seeing rose is involved I think she will be the one to call the previous doctors back

Comments

• Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. On all counts.
  • Options
    Dr TheteDr Thete Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    So we know john hurt is going to play the doctor in the 50th anniversary show, but how is this going to happen

I think we will se a regeneration, and john hurt will appear in front of clara, clara will know something is wrong, and run

Now the next bit will be interesting to see how it happens, how does matt smith doctor get back, and of course david tenant, seeing rose is involved I think she will be the one to call the previous doctors back

The Hurt Doctor quite clearly comes from the past, because he is a secret the eleventh Doctor is keeping.

I don't know how you watched his introduction, and came away with the idea he's the next Doctor.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think John Hurt will turn out to be a relative of the Doctor rather than an actual incarnation of the Doctor.

As said above, it seems unlikely that JH could be a future Doctor as 11 refers to him as something he was already aware of. And neither can he realistically be a past Doctor, as Clara encountered all the past incarnations of the Doctor and she didn't recognise JH, plus he featured in 11's memory.

Seeing as though the 50th will
    feature Coal Hill School
    it seems more likely that JH will
    have something to do with Susan (possibly her father?)
    rather than play an incarnation of the Doctor. I think his statement that he is playing 9 was just a red herring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Thete wrote: »
    The Hurt Doctor quite clearly comes from the past, because he is a secret the eleventh Doctor is keeping.

I don't know how you watched his introduction, and came away with the idea he's the next Doctor.

Nope there is nothing to suggest he is from the Doctor's past, he could quite easily be the Valeyard who according to the Master was the Doctor's penultimate (12th) regeneration apparently (as I have said else where I haven't seen the Trial of the Time Lord yet so cannot comment for certain but I am aware of this).
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Nope there is nothing to suggest he is from the Doctor's past

Except from when The 11th Doctor said "He was me" and "He was the only one to brake the promise"

Both used in past tense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope there is nothing to suggest he is from the Doctor's past, he could quite easily be the Valeyard who according to the Master was the Doctor's penultimate (12th) regeneration apparently (as I have said else where I haven't seen the Trial of the Time Lord yet so cannot comment for certain but I am aware of this).

Nothing except for the actual words used by Hurt and Eleven.

As James Frederick points out above, past tense is used.

And why would the Doctor, who made it clear knowing his own future is dangerous and paradoxical, know so much about and be keeping secret an incarnation he hasn't been yet!

Seriously, it's blatantly spelt out that he is from the Doctor's past, not his future.

And no, 'Trial' does not tell us the Valeyard is the twelfth Doctor. It tells us that he is a distillation of all that is dark and evil in the Doctor, a potential penultimate Doctor. His whole motivation in 'Trial' is his desire to exist by replacing the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think John Hurt will turn out to be a relative of the Doctor rather than an actual incarnation of the Doctor.

Which ignores a) the Doctor making it clear that Hurt Doctor was/is him; and b) the Doctor noting that, Clara aside, this is his timestream, so everything in it is actually him.
    As said above, it seems unlikely that JH could be a future Doctor as 11 refers to him as something he was already aware of. And neither can he realistically be a past Doctor, as Clara encountered all the past incarnations of the Doctor and she didn't recognise JH, plus he featured in 11's memory.

Which is the point. Clara didn't see him, but he is the Doctor. Which means that somehow the Doctor removed all evidence of his existence, keeping him secret.

But if the Doctor identifies Hurt as being him, and he's in the Doctor's timestream, then there's no question that he is the Doctor, albeit not in name.

Any theory about him has to take into account Eleven's acknowledgement of who he is.
    feature Coal Hill School
    rather than play an incarnation of the Doctor. I think his statement that he is playing 9 was just a red herring.

No one has said he is playing Nine. All Hurt said was that he was playing the Doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »

It could be two things.

1. Hurt is a replacement for Eccleston doctor.

2. Hurts doctor wont exist after the story is over. What if he was created either by the AI or clara saved McGanns doctor at the time war she wasent supposed to so they need the tenth doctor to retify this evil doctor so he doesnt exist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Valeyard who according to the Master was the Doctor's penultimate (12th) regeneration apparently (as I have said else where I haven't seen the Trial of the Time Lord yet so cannot comment for certain but I am aware of this).

He's not an actual incarnation of the Doctor
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't the doctor allways had a dark side though ?. He is clever ,powerfull and just a little bit crazy sometimes. That can be dangerous. He tries to keep control of his emotions but it doesn't allways work. He needs freinds around him. They are like a kite string keep him on an even footing. Looking forward to Novemeber and finding out more about what happened in the time war and why he went so dark.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we see Matt Smith regenerate into John Hurt?

Ooooh, I would LOVE that!:):) I really, really would.

And, no disrespect to John Hurt (because I think he is a really good actor and gorgeous, too :) ), but to have an actor portraying the Doctor that wouldn't have young girls / young ladies looking doe eyed at him in it - brilliant!:)
  • Options
    Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »

It seems to be the case that the title of "Doctor" has become such an integral part of the Doctor's identity that the incarnation who broke the promise implied by the title has become, in the Doctor's mind, virtually a separate individual.
    feature Coal Hill School

No one has ever said John Hurt is playing the 9th Doctor; the man himself just said he was playing "part of the Doctor in a kind of trinity." However the idea of him playing the incarnation between Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't the doctor allways had a dark side though ?. He is clever ,powerfull and just a little bit crazy sometimes. That can be dangerous. He tries to keep control of his emotions but it doesn't allways work. He needs freinds around him. They are like a kite string keep him on an even footing. Looking forward to Novemeber and finding out more about what happened in the time war and why he went so dark.

Absolutely; he has been bad a lot of the time throughout the programme.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

It's explicitly clear that Eleven knows who this new Doctor is, which is clearly intended to imply that he's a past incarnation - but it doesn't absolutely rule out the Valeyard, given that Six learned all about him, which is in Eleven's past too.
  • Options
    missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Matt Smith's Doctor said 'he's the one who broke the promise' he was referring to the promise of a name - not specifically The Doctor name so it could be a Doctor Zero, who was known as something else, he then took on the Doctor name to 'cure' the broken promise.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope there is nothing to suggest he is from the Doctor's past

Really? I think everything and every word in that final scene suggested he is from the Doctor's past!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Really? I think everything and every word in that final scene suggested he is from the Doctor's past!

Exactly they couldn't have made it more obvious if they had a big neon sign saying "Past Doctor" pointing down to him and a The worlds biggest Choir singing "He's A Past Doctor "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly they couldn't have made it more obvious if they had a big neon sign saying "Past Doctor" pointing down to him and a The worlds biggest Choir singing "He's A Past Doctor "

Although...the Moff lies! ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Although...the Moff lies! ;):D

And so does the Doctor (as he has said time and time again :) ), and time can be and has been rewritten.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    And so does the Doctor (as he has said time and time again :) ), and time can be and has been rewritten.:)

Very true :D

But why would The Doctor lie in this situation surly it's worse to say that was me rather than will or in the terms of Doctor Who may one day be me.

Plus if they have to go against him then Clara ect would need all the real info he could give them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »

Good point but what would he be lying about in this case and why would he lie! It makes no sense.

Also, some of the most interesting dialogue was between him and JH, Clara had passed out!
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Thete wrote: »

I don't think that he 'quite clearly comes from the past' when you consider that this is a show about time travel.

Why couldn't the Doctor meet him in the past after the John Hurt character had traveled back to the past from the future?

The Doctor first met Captain Jack Harkness in his own past, but Captain Jack Harkness came from the 51st Century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think that he 'quite clearly comes from the past' when you consider that this is a show about time travel.

Because The Doctor said "He was me" if it was a future Doctor he would have said "He will be me"
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because The Doctor said "He was me" if it was a future Doctor he would have said "He will be me"

True. Fair enough.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's explicitly clear that Eleven knows who this new Doctor is, which is clearly intended to imply that he's a past incarnation - but it doesn't absolutely rule out the Valeyard, given that Six learned all about him, which is in Eleven's past too.

Precisely my point validating what I am getting at. The Doctor has encountered the Valeyard before and therefore even though he is in his future he still knows who he is. Also the comment does not rule out him being a future incarnation because remember that the Doctor is very clever and would have been able to make such deductions based solely on what John Hurt said to him. But I agree that the only possible way this is a future Doctor is if it is the Valeyard but nowhere have I denied this. The use of the past tense is more or less meaningless in timetravel the events of the Valeyard have happened already even if the Docotor hasn't lived them yet and so the past tense can be used ergo I stick by my original comment. Had the Doctor given his speech to Clara before Hurt's Doctor had said what he did I would agree but because it is after I stand by what I said. :D