Dear DigitalSpy

2»

Comments

• PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    I'm having a lot of issues with pages hanging, etc. I don't know if it's the forum or whether I'm still running XP.

I've had it with windows 7 and 8.

It really does baffle me how the site can be on such a state. Being a website is it's core function.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Do people actually look at the rest of the DS website?

Not me. Can't remember the last time I looked at the site.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wait, so there's more to DS than just General Discussion? I may have to have a lie down.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do - quite often. US TV, Tech and Movie news are the parts I visit quite a lot. I've never had any of the issues the OP claims to have had ..
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is the adverts that cause it. If only there was a way of dealing with them. ;)
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Hi DS. I was just wondering why, in 2014, your website is still so absolutely crap. Given that DS is a commercial website and has been running for about 15 years, can anyone explain to me why so many of your pages are full of bugs which slow down browsers and cause them to crash? And how come you can't manage basics like adding photo galleries to articles which work and don't reload the whole page?

We'll leave the calibre of writing and the general standard of journalism for another day, but in the meantime can anyone at DS explain why the site itself is so crap?

Surely there must be a reason. I imagine you must be trying your best and failing, but why?

Why do you think we can answer this?
  • Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member

I don't anymore

My first account with DS in 2002 but I a name change and they don't do that so I had to close and reregister
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm surprised to learn that there are other parts of DS - I have the forums bookmarked, and that's the only place I go to. Is it worth visiting the rest?
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I'm surprised to learn that there are other parts of DS - I have the forums bookmarked, and that's the only place I go to. Is it worth visiting the rest?

It is light reading. A mix of showbiz, movie and TV with some media and tech thrown in. I read it and commented on articles using my Facebook account years before using these forums. I thought the forums were a bit mad. Now I am addicted. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Well, I dunno. I'm using XP/Firefox and it's fine. (I don't like the new style, but that's a whole other argument, so let's not go there.)
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    The website content is very good and so is the forum. They're the reasons I keep coming back. The design and colour scheme on the other hand is poor and I've (unsuccessfully) done everything I can to try and change it, short of using the portal.

The forum colour scheme is horrendous - bland, old fashioned and depressing.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    It is light reading. A mix of showbiz, movie and TV with some media and tech thrown in. ...................

Thanks ... I think I'll skip them. :)
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,486
    Administrator
    Hi DS. I was just wondering why, in 2014, your website is still so absolutely crap. Given that DS is a commercial website and has been running for about 15 years, can anyone explain to me why so many of your pages are full of bugs which slow down browsers and cause them to crash?

Dear PorkchopExpress, unfortunately this isn't particularly helpful feedback as each individual has different browsers of varying versions so saying "there are bugs" doesn't pinpoint troubles. We're not getting any crashes on any of the articles and page loads are just as speedy as they are on other sites for us. Could you be more specific?
    And how come you can't manage basics like adding photo galleries to articles which work and don't reload the whole page?

This is feedback our editorial team are aware of.
    We'll leave the calibre of writing and the general standard of journalism for another day, but in the meantime can anyone at DS explain why the site itself is so crap?

Surely there must be a reason. I imagine you must be trying your best and failing, but why?

Different tastes. Our editorial site continues to grow, now reaching over 20 million people each month. If you have any feedback you would like us to forward, please ensure it's constructive - "why is your site crap" isn't something we will forward and isn't something that will be taken seriously. Thank you!
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/feature/a590202/ranking-2014s-summer-blockbusters-from-worst-to-best.html

The link above, on Firefox with Windows 8, caused everything to freeze up on my computer yesterday. This happens pretty often on DS.

From a technical perspective, the site is terrible. And also from a design perspective.

Are there any plans to invest or make any changes to the site? You acknowledge the point about photo galleries in the articles so what's happening with that. DS has has years to do something about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Have you taken part in the Have Your Say survey OP?. If enough people have the same opinions as you in the survey then chances are things will change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/feature/a590202/ranking-2014s-summer-blockbusters-from-worst-to-best.html

The link above, on Firefox with Windows 8, caused everything to freeze up on my computer yesterday. This happens pretty often on DS.

From a technical perspective, the site is terrible. And also from a design perspective.

Are there any plans to invest or make any changes to the site? You acknowledge the point about photo galleries in the articles so what's happening with that. DS has has years to do something about that.

Windows 7 64 bit here, with the latest versions of Firefox and Flash Player.

No technical issues at all.

From the design side I do kind of agree, but it's the common complaint that on a desktop PC with a widescreen monitor, there is far, far too much wasted space either side of the main content, especially in the forums. Undoubtedly for future advertising purposes.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from following the odd link that leads there, not since they dropped the TV listings.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    the only thing that bothers me is leaving a rather long comment in an article then it all disappears & it says 'sorry you're not logged in' many sites are able to still save the text.
    it happens nearly every time despite me remaining logged in , it has left me frustrated many a time.
    must remember to copy my comments but i nearly always forget.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you favourite a thread with the mobile forum skin? I've always wondered.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    the only thing that bothers me is leaving a rather long comment in an article then it all disappears & it says 'sorry you're not logged in' many sites are able to still save the text.
    it happens nearly every time despite me remaining logged in , it has left me frustrated many a time.
    must remember to copy my comments but i nearly always forget.

If you use Firefox, Chrome or Safari, try Lazarus Form Recovery.

Restore lost text with a simple right-click.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=lazarus+form+recovery&gws_rd=ssl
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Windows 8.1 and otherwise on an iPad air and I've never had any problems on either. The site looks OK too. I only use Firefox on my desktop.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Same here, I only visit for the forums. What's the rest of it all about ?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    It's an omnishambles!
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    bothers my eyes.

What does that mean, exactly?