teeth whitening

phillip2phillip2 Posts: 1,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
anyone got this done, did it work better than you thought or not? im wanting to get it done in liverpool, and the one place i thought was good that did it for £119 now has gone to £285, so im going to look elsewere, just had an email from somewhere in manchester that does it a lot cheaper, just wondering what everyone thinks?

Comments

• bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what procedure you have.. I had mine done in america cos it was better value and I just think they're a bit more clued up with that type of thing. First of all, do you have sensitive teeth? If so I would think strongly about it...

I had Zoom laser treatment. Yes, the results were very very good. Would I do it again? No. I don't like pain. The actual procedure didn't hurt at all but it was uncomfortable being in the chair for about 2 hours in all.. But later on that evening I was getting the nerve shock pain and it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. It really only lasted that evening and into the night but it wasn't nice, especially as I was on my holiday.. the dentist there gave me my molds and some NiteBrite treatment so I can top up with those but they still hurt a bit. I had it done about 3 years ago now and I do get comments about how nice my teeth are - although they weren't stained to begin with just not brilliant white! Trust, me I don't have a tipp-ex smile but they look alright! I would get molds done and then order some nitebrite off ebay and see how you go cos you do get good results with that. That's what my dentist uses because she won't do the laser cos of the pain! :D
  • phillip2phillip2 Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol see that is what worries me the sensitivity, do you know a reliable way of getting it on ebay?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have sensitive teeth, try Beverley Hills sensitive toothpaste. My bottom teeth are prone to staining as they are slightly ridged and the only way to get rid of it was professional cleaning.

Since using this product the staining has gone and they are noticeably whiter. You leave the toothpaste on for a minute before brushing. Best of all it only costs £3, cheaper if you get it in Home Bargains!

http://www.puritylabs.co.uk/products/sensitive-toothpaste
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phillip2 wrote: »
    anyone got this done, did it work better than you thought or not? im wanting to get it done in liverpool, and the one place i thought was good that did it for £119 now has gone to £285, so im going to look elsewere, just had an email from somewhere in manchester that does it a lot cheaper, just wondering what everyone thinks?

Yes had mine done and I love it!

My Dentist was offering theeth whiteneing for £275.00 and its basically a plastic gum shield moulded to the shape of your teeth. You get a syringe of Gel (has different levels for whiteness) and all you do is empty the syringe into the gum shield, pop the gum shield in your mouth, go to sleep, up next day, brush your teeth and hey preston gorgeous teeth.

I now only use half a syringe of Gel once a month and each syringe is £28, its worth it

Best thing I ever did
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I was considering it too as my teeth have a yellowish colour to them and I'm worried people will think I smoke even though I've never touched one of the evil b*ggers in my life! Groupon regularly have teeth whitening discounts so you could see if there's one in your area and then check out the dentist that's offering them?
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had laser teeth whitening that cost 250.00 and it didn't make much difference although she said they'd lightened 16 shades..Uncomfortable, expensive and not worth the effort in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    I had laser teeth whitening that cost 250.00 and it didn't make much difference although she said they'd lightened 16 shades..Uncomfortable, expensive and not worth the effort in my opinion.

Yeah I wasn't impressed by the laser treatment either. Topped up with the trays afterwards and found them much more effective and considerably more comfortable.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mariets wrote: »

You would certainly see the differnce with 16 shades

My gum shield with Gel I used once and think the strength was 12% and OMG the next morning I could not believe the difference, although very sensitive teeth for a couple of days after that it was great. Then did them every week for a month and then every month and my teeth are fab.

Funnily enough many people whom I have met subsequently and dont know mention what alovely smile I have and its I am sure due to the whiteness of my theeth and it gives me extra confidence too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had laser whitening years ago and I found it quite painful. I wasn't impressed with the results either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    You would certainly see the differnce with 16 shades

My gum shield with Gel I used once and think the strength was 12% and OMG the next morning I could not believe the difference, although very sensitive teeth for a couple of days after that it was great. Then did them every week for a month and then every month and my teeth are fab.

Funnily enough many people whom I have met subsequently and dont know mention what alovely smile I have and its I am sure due to the whiteness of my theeth and it gives me extra confidence too

Is that the gum shield and gel you get from the dentist?
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first kit is using the same gel dentists use but at 0.1 % concentration whereas a dentist will use 10% concentration( occasionally higher ) so i doubt that concentration would do much
    Not sure what the second kit is using :)
  • phillip2phillip2 Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok i bought the last one anyway wil let you all know what its like but having a look reviews were quite good for that one .
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi phillip2

I recently quit smoking after 10 years and decided to stop drinking tea/coffee. As you can imagine my teeth were quite stained as a result, so instead of paying hundreds at the Dentist I decided to do my own research and it turns out you can go down the DIY route at a fraction of the cost and still obtain professional and lasting results.

Here is my method and all the necessary links.
    It worked wonders for me.

1. First you will need 'custom fit' teeth bleaching trays. Dentists charge a fortune for these. I purchased this kit on eBay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teeth-Whitening-Bleaching-Trays-Custom-Fit-/300576470026?pt=UK_HealthBeauty_DentalCare_RL&hash=item45fbc0f40a

Basically you take your own impressions and send them back to the Dental lab. They fabricate trays for you and post them out within 2 weeks. Here is a video I would recommend that you watch a few times which is a very helpful tutorial on how to take your impressions correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TnU6RuIlE

2. Secondly you will then need to purchase some Carbamide Peroxide gel to use in your trays. I looked around on the net for quite sometime and read many reviews and the general consensus is that 'Opalescence PF' & 'NiteWhite ACP' are the most favoured brands that work and they are the same prescription strength gel that the Dentist would sell to you but at a much higher cost. I buy Opalescence PF gel from a very reliable American seller off eBay for a very good price. You can buy it in 4 different strengths (10, 15, 20, 35%) and in varying quantities.
    I use 20% and bleach overnight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/biscuits4shmuel/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

3. Lastly, you will definitely need to buy Sensodyne toothpaste as bleaching does cause sensitivity.

Here are my before and after photo's after 1 month.

BEFORE 2luxd29.jpg
    AFTER 20szjhg.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    bridgetb wrote: »
    Depends what procedure you have.. I had mine done in america cos it was better value and I just think they're a bit more clued up with that type of thing. First of all, do you have sensitive teeth? If so I would think strongly about it...

I had Zoom laser treatment. Yes, the results were very very good. Would I do it again? No. I don't like pain. The actual procedure didn't hurt at all but it was uncomfortable being in the chair for about 2 hours in all.. But later on that evening I was getting the nerve shock pain and it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. It really only lasted that evening and into the night but it wasn't nice, especially as I was on my holiday.. the dentist there gave me my molds and some NiteBrite treatment so I can top up with those but they still hurt a bit. I had it done about 3 years ago now and I do get comments about how nice my teeth are - although they weren't stained to begin with just not brilliant white! Trust, me I don't have a tipp-ex smile but they look alright! I would get molds done and then order some nitebrite off ebay and see how you go cos you do get good results with that. That's what my dentist uses because she won't do the laser cos of the pain! :D

I also had Zoom and wouldn't recommend it. The procedure didn't hurt much, my teeth felt very warm and then at the last 10 mins I started getting the shooting pains, but I couldn't let them know because the whitening light was on my teeth and if I spoke it would have gone on my tongue which can cause painful blisters apparantly, and I had this thing keeping my mouth open so I couldn't move my lips, etc. The results weren't what I was expecting - yes they were lighter but it hasn't lasted, and I had it done approx 1 year ago. Afterwards, the shooting pains were awful, but they weren't the worst pain I've experienced, they were just unpleasant and it makes you stop in your tracks and go "oooh what was that?". The pain etc I'd go through again but the zoom bleaching I wasn't happy with really.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a kit from my dentist last year to whiten my teeth - custom made trays and gel - it worked well but now my teeth aren't as white and i'd like to get it done again - i think it was £199
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have not tried any teeth whitening treatments but i can tell you all the whitening toothpastes ,powders etc do no good what so ever. i have tried and failed so i will be following this thead with interest because my next step will be to throw some money at my less than spectacular teeth.

thanks for the info so far.
    Lbowx:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Yes had mine done and I love it!

My Dentist was offering theeth whiteneing for £275.00 and its basically a plastic gum shield moulded to the shape of your teeth. You get a syringe of Gel (has different levels for whiteness) and all you do is empty the syringe into the gum shield, pop the gum shield in your mouth, go to sleep, up next day, brush your teeth and hey preston gorgeous teeth.

I now only use half a syringe of Gel once a month and each syringe is £28, its worth it

Best thing I ever did

This is the way I whitened my teeth, however there was no need to carry on after a certain period of time. My teeth havent really dicoloured since then (3 years ago) and the colour can be kept up by whitening toothpaste.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Crest Whitestrips :) I find them really good, had compliments about my teeth being white 2years after use. I buy them off ebay :)
  • LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dentist advised against, as my teeth are so sensitive.
    To be honest, they're not a bad colour! But we're so used to seeing 'celebs' with their bright white veneers these days, I think it makes us paranoid!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Crest Whitestrips :) I find them really good, had compliments about my teeth being white 2years after use. I buy them off ebay :)

Another vote for whitestrips. They're about 30 quid from ebay. I have recently been off sick from work for 2 weeks following an operation and did the treatment then, yesterday a colleague who I saw for the first time couldn't get over how white my teeth are and went round telling everybody! And 3 people I work with have ordered themselves some!
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought teeth whitening wasn't really good for the teeth. Weakens/removes enamel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for whitestrips. They're about 30 quid from ebay. I have recently been off sick from work for 2 weeks following an operation and did the treatment then, yesterday a colleague who I saw for the first time couldn't get over how white my teeth are and went round telling everybody! And 3 people I work with have ordered themselves some!

A third vote for them. Only tried them once for 28 days but the difference was noticeable.

Whatever you decide, you must start using a sensitive toothpaste for a couple of weeks before any kind of treatment, dentist, home or otherwise.
  • PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Another happy Crest Whitestrips user here! I'm really happy with the effects, which last for ages and I just top it up with a few reapplications after a year or so.

However, sensitivity is a b**ch. You need to get yourself some good sensitive toothpaste before you start, which you rub on your teeth with a finger and don't rinse off - and make sure you keep it next to the bed because the agony tends to strike in the middle of the night!

I remember watching a Katie Price doc where she was in a world of pain after having her teeth whitened in America - not what you'd expect after paying the sort of money dentists charge for whitening!
  • ShreddedPartsShreddedParts Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I don't know what I am doing to my teeth in the long run but I use 6% Hydrogen Peroxide diluted half with water and rinse my mouth and teeth with it twice a week and my teeth are very very white. It did leave my teeth standing on edge the first few times though.

But a local old woman I know in a pharmacy asked for some Hydrogen Peroxide. As I knew her I asked why she was getting just that, she told me she whitens her teeth with it, she is about 60 odd and has the most amazing teeth for her age so I took her advice. It works.