the annoyance of unexpected visitors

Comments

• Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not nearly half as annoying as for those who would desperately like the odd uninvited guest and nobody ever calls.

Just saying, there's little to complain about in the scenario described in the OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im with you OP, Id rather someone text or call to see if Im free and wanting to hang out and have a natter. But then again, Im a bit anxious and a random knock at the door does my heart beat a little faster and sometimes get a bit flustered. If its just the postman/woman, then I feel relieved, but if its a friend, I do feel a bit put out. Dont get me wrong, out of the very few friends I have, I do like to see, but unexpected social situations are different. Even if someone was to say, coming round in an hour, I would feel so much better, it gives my mind time to prepare, so to speak. A little bit of advance warning isnt too much ask at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex and I were at opposite ends of the spectrum. Like you, I can tolerate my own company for days, and sometimes weeks, at a time. She can't bear to be alone for more than an hour. She's constantly in touch with or visiting other folk in addition to going out to a social club from Friday to Sunday.

Since we parted company, she fits in a visit to me on a monday or tuesday, whether I want it or not :D. The point is, we were together for twenty two years and had to learn to compromise. Her with my hermit like tendencies and me with her social butterfly impulses.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    We live a little 'out of the way' so we very rarely have unexpected visitors. It's quite a drive to our place so people ring first. I would hate it though but o/h probably wouldn't be too bothered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can't be bothered I just stay put and let them think I'm not in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Tell her your days off have changed, a few wasted trips and she will start to ring ahead!
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, nearly all my friends phone, but if occasionally they don't I can feel annoyed, but not for long, as I love em and am happy to see them anyway.

I do it to one particular friend, who bears with me (always switching her damned phone number, and she gives it to me on a bit of paper that I lose). She just told me when she's available and to come any damned time.

I've got the latest number now mind.

Friends have to be borne with, they have to put up with you too.

And if you really are NOT in the mood, just tell em. If they're real friends they understand that calling on spec doesn't mean automatic entrance and entertainment.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's rude to be unwelcoming to guests.
    Regardless of an invite or not, I always remember my manners and welcome the company. It's a good thing someone has taken time out of their day to visit.
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Nan told me years ago to put my coat on if there was an unexpected knock at the door. That way, if it was someone I wanted to stay, I could say I had just gotten in and if it was someone I didn't like I could say I was on my way out.

Trouble is I said I was on my way out to town for groceries to someone I didn't want to spend time with and she insisted on giving me a lift (I don't drive) and waiting for me while I did my shopping and gave me a lift home. Very nice of her and I felt awfully guilty but she is such an annoying person and she stayed at mine for hours when we got home.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lesson about lying perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Wow, you seem like a right bundle of fun.

Don't be so rude. People are entitled to alone time.

No OP, you're not being a grumpy old hermit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that annoying and ive made clear that i dont like people just turning up.I like atleast 48 hours notice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    I think it's rude to be unwelcoming to guests.
    Regardless of an invite or not, I always remember my manners and welcome the company. It's a good thing someone has taken time out of their day to visit.

Not really. I dont agree. They are the rude ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. I dont agree. They are the rude ones.

I disagree. They don't have any ill intention.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Wow, you seem like a right bundle of fun.

LOL :D:D
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't give people the impression they can ever just, pop round, in the first place. If its anyone interesting they will have phoned/text me first. Or the police.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I had an aunt who was a real pest when it came to visiting. She never, ever knocked, she just came right in and was so silent she could have been a ninja. You’d only know she was there when you’d turn around and she’d be standing behind you. And if we weren’t in she’d just go to the neighbour’s house and do the same.
    If we locked the doors, she would just peer through the windows. She never made any attempt to ring the bell or knock. On the other hand if you went to visit her it was like getting into Fort Knox.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with the OP on this. I really don't like people just dropping in without warning - actually I think it's a bit rude, and I certainly would never do it to anyone.
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    I dont get unexpected visitors. People always ring in advance as they/I never know when I'll even be in the house, so its a wasted journey sometimes if they just showed up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Just do what I do when I don't want an unexpected visitor. Refuse to answer the door. They soon get the hint.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
    Forum Member
    It's very annoying when people turn up out of the blue uninvited, it's like they couldn't stay away and couldn't fight it. Ignoring the door usually works.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I told my colleagues that I don't answer the door to uninvited people; they looked at me like I was mad! :D Fine by me, at least I have peace and quiet and the bliss of not having to deal with feeling irritated by unexpected guests! :)
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a wireless door bell and if I am not expecting a parcel then the batteries are not in it!

Friends know my mobile number and if I want them around, as I often do, I invite them around. If not, I say I'm busy or don't answer the phone.

I dictate what happens in my life, not others.

Now we have the new work for Royal Mail without pay scheme whereby they knock on your door with someone else's parcel for you to arrange delivery for for them whilst they save money! Doesn't matter if you are doing a nightshift, you are there to do their work for them!
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Now we have the new work for Royal Mail without pay scheme whereby they knock on your door with someone else's parcel for you to arrange delivery for for them whilst they save money! Doesn't matter if you are doing a nightshift, you are there to do their work for them!
    Just think of it as being kind and neighbourly, and then you won't get so stressed.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Just think of it as being kind and neighbourly, and then you won't get so stressed.

Or they could just not answer the door! Either way its no biggie really.

Unless I am missing something ?