Options

Can JoJo ever recover?

Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
JoJo was ruling the pop world in the period 2004-2006. She has a dynamite voice and if you YouTube her material since 2006 right up until now, the girl is on point! It sucks so much that her record label have screwed her over so badly.

Do you guys think there is any chance of her having real mainstream success again?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she was ever ruling the pop world.
    I do like Anything though.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Last time i heard her was "Disaster"
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had one moderate hit single when she was about 12. There's really nothing to recover.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she ever ruled the pop world at any point ever, Infact the only two songs I've ever really heard from her is "Leave (Get Out)" and "Too Little Too Late". She certainly got off to a good start, as do many pop stars, but failed to live up to her hype.

To be honest she could make a comeback. She was fairly young when she started out so she shouldn't have aged much now, and people have probably forgotten about her so she could come back with a fresh sound/look. But I think she'd need to feature on a track with a hugely popular artist to get her name back out there and for radio to even consider playing her.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both her albums, and there are some great songs on them. She's still only 22 I believe, so plenty of time for her to have success again. I don't think she ever "ruled the pop world" though.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    She had so many hits like I can't believe people are only saying she had one, probably because they only remember "Leave (Get Out)" but she wasn't really rulling the pop world...

She has time on her side to recover which is good but the sooner the better, I think if she collabed with someone famous (like Demi Lovato who was inspired by Jojo) she could easily slip back into the mainstream world but her record label sucks.

If Jojo makes a comeback one day, I hope that'll spur Stacy Orrico to follow suit, she was amazing.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had so many hits like I can't believe people are only saying she had one, probably because they only remember "Leave (Get Out)" but she wasn't really rulling the pop world...

She has time on her side to recover which is good but the sooner the better, I think if she collabed with someone famous (like Demi Lovato who was inspired by Jojo) she could easily slip back into the mainstream world but her record label sucks.

If Jojo makes a comeback one day, I hope that'll spur Stacy Orrico to follow suit, she was amazing.

But she didn't really. Leave (Get Out) and Too Little Too Late appear to be her biggest hits, other than that she had a decent sized hit with Baby It's You but other than that she's not had any other hits.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But she didn't really. Leave (Get Out) and Too Little Too Late appear to be her biggest hits, other than that she had a decent sized hit with Baby It's You but other than that she's not had any other hits.

You've certainly remembered more than me :o I could only recall the one... "ruling the pop world" is a massive leap!
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    She had one moderate hit single when she was about 12. There's really nothing to recover.

This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. :o
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Echoing the sentiments of others.. When exactly did JoJo rule the world of pop music? She had one hit single in Leave (Get Out) in 2004 and a moderate hit with Too Little To Late two years later before pretty much vanishing, hardly ruling the pop world

Could she stage a comeback? Probably not.. She was a 13 year old girl who managed to connect with other girls of a similar age, those girls have now grown up and the young girls now are interested in One Direction and Bieber
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have no idea who this lassies was/is...but on Googling a pic of her with a *really* low cut dress came up.

She'll conquer the world fo sho :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course she can, a talent like JoJo's can never be stopped, she hasn't properly released music in 7 years (when she was 16/17) but yet she's still massively respected in the industry and among music fans, personally I think that says it all and I think she's around 23 which is still really young, she has the potential to be be one of the best!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Yes, she can, because nobody remembers her so she can start from scratch. I've been a huge fan for years, but her last hit was in 2006, so if she releases new music in 2014, which I hope she will, she can easily start fresh as a new artist. Her new sound is nothing like her first 2 albums anyway, so it will be easy. The question is if she can make it as a new artist and I think she can. She's talented and she can potentially reach out to many different audiences. She can be pop, urban, soulful, whatever she chooses.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she not very well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    icanboogie wrote: »
    Is she not very well?
    She's signed a multiple album deal with a label that has now gone bankrupt and they don't let her go. There was a court session last week and hopefully she'll be able to escape.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Isn't she currently top 40 on UK iTunes?

And trust me, people do remember her. She had 2 big hits. There's more obscure songs from 10 years ago which everybody still remembers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    You know it's extremely unfortunate what is happening to her with her record label. She's practically a prisoner of a record label can't release new music because they lost their distrubution deal & won't release her to sign some where else. She is so talented & was off to a good start with the first 2 albums she released.

If she can manage to overcome this issue, land a great song & good promo, she can make a come back.
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, maybe me saying "ruling the pop world" was bit of an over-exaggeration - my apologies lol. What I was meaning though, was that for the short period of time she was in the public eye, she was very successful and at that time, there wasn't anyone like her.

I just think it's sad that someone so immensely talented can't catch a break:(
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Ariana Grande has taken her place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NicoleRich wrote: »
    No. Ariana Grande has taken her place.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPQOuDLU6s

That's the kind of sound JoJo is currently working on. If she comes back with new music, Ariana will not be her competition. Different music, different audience.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    The thing is with her is that the novelty was that she was a young girl with music and image on par with other 'grown up' pop females. So there would be no real angle to market her on as she was never really 'young' in terms of her output. So there's no 'all grown up' gimmick a la Miley Cyrus, not much new that could be done with her. I agree her best bet is worming her way back in with a high profile collaboration and releasing singles radio will get behind.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing she had going for her, was that she was pubescent and could directly intentify with the teens at the time (Like me..). Her brand of music wasn't unique and i've heard more recent material and nothing has evolved except her - She has no unique selling point.

Though if she was to completely relaunch herself - maybe call herself Joanna and try a different genre or more risque sound, then yes, its possiable for mainstream success again.
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    She's a wasted talent! One of the best singers of her generation imo and she's been left to rot. She was pretty big in the states if not here.
  • Options
    ItsAnObsessionItsAnObsession Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Leave (Get Out) back in the charts anyway? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I don't actually know but it is a 59p song on iTunes. I love jojo's voice, I have her first two albums need to hear her third. :)