Options

The Definitive Ranking Of "Doctor Who" Companions

MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
Forum Member
There is no way anyone is going to walk away from this one happy, but its a funny and interesting (if superficial) review of Doctor Who companions.

To give you a taste of what's to come, Adric comes bottom of the list with the following write up: "Nobody likes a boy genius at the best of times. But Matthew Waterhouse’s brattish boffin from E-Space, who travelled with the Fourth and Fifth Doctors, was so hateful that producers broke one of the show’s cardinal rules and killed him off, in Earthshock."

Go on - have a read even though you know you'll end up all annoyed!

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donna Noble at 2? Jesus wept. I enjoy Dan Martins writing usually but plot lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Donna Noble at 2? Jesus wept. I enjoy Dan Martins writing usually but plot lost.

I loved her too, Saladfingers, but I'm glad Sarah Jane is number one.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A complete joke with Ian and Barbara as far down as they are, not to mention Harry. I can think of at least 4 I'd put lower than Adric as well.
    And without Jack and the Brig it loses meaning anyway.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Catherine Tate recently, she has said that she would love to reprise her role as Donna Noble, AND be a companion to the Doctor again. How Steven would bring her back, I don't know at the moment. :confused:

The article was on the same site as the Companion Countdown.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not going to get annoyed. At all. It's just subjective opinion.

(reads)

Susan above Ian and Barbara?! Donna not number 1? I take it back. >:(>:(

:p
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to get annoyed. At all. It's just subjective opinion.

(reads)

Susan above Ian and Barbara?! Donna not number 1? I take it back. >:(>:(

:p

Donna at number 2 is a bit silly, she wouldn't make my top ten.

Sarah at number 1 is just about the only thing that this has going for it, usually silly rules to eliminate the Unit boys and the likes of Katarina and Sara and then ignored them when applying them to Liz and Grace. Pointless.

:)
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One journalists opinion is not definitive !
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems amusing and largely fair. Certainly the description of the sublimely awful Adric is spot on. My only objections are that, irritating as Adric was, Mel was even worse (who would have thought it possible?) and clearly should have come bottom. Rory should have been higher.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cobblers.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'd say I probably agree with the top two. I'd personally place Amy and Rory both a lot lower than they're placed, Mickey lower than he is placed and I'd bring Clara up the list a bit (I guess Series 8 will be make or break for the quality of her character).
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cobblers.

That just about sums it up!

Very unusual for a current companion to be so far down the list though it's nice to see some sixties companions quite high up and Peri a respectable 13th. (If it'd been my list she'd be near the top.....;-))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe - 30th and Victoria 12th are they sure they haven't got that the wrong way round
    and where is K9???
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.k... I read the list and it is bunk.

They put Sarah Jane Smith at the top and that seemed to be the only thing that they got right.

Where is K-9????
    Where is Wilfred?

Rory is the most beloved male companion? Did they even know about Jamie? Speaking of which, why is he, the longest running companion in terms of episodes, so far down on the list? Jamie has been in more episodes than most of the Doctors.

And the "here are the rules so that we can cut out The Brigadier and company, but we're going to ignore the rules for the 'companions' that we like" bit at the beginning should be an immediate dis-qualifier to anybody with any common sense.

Donna came in second?
    Amy Williams came in third?

The list is just a love fest to the 21st Century Doctor Who with the "I have to put Sarah Jane Smith at the top" nod to the 20th Century Doctor Who at the expense of the original run of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Amy Williams came in third?

Quite good with a skeleton bob (Olympic Champion 2010), but never actually been in Dr Who
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is some of the earlier characters lose out because of missing episodes.

Otherwise I don't agree or disagree with the list, it's got good points and bad.
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fun list, thanks. Don't agree with some of the rankings but Sarah at number 1 was a foregone conclusion (and rightly so!).
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Where is K-9????
    Where is Wilfred?
    Wilfred was a recurring character, not a companion. No matter how much we may love him. And K-9 was, at best, an accessory.
    Rory is the most beloved male companion? Did they even know about Jamie? Speaking of which, why is he, the longest running companion in terms of episodes, so far down on the list? Jamie has been in more episodes than most of the Doctors.
    I don't think number of appearances is the deciding factor here. Was Jamie interesting in all his appearances? Was he used to his full potential?
    And the "here are the rules so that we can cut out The Brigadier and company, but we're going to ignore the rules for the 'companions' that we like" bit at the beginning should be an immediate dis-qualifier to anybody with any common sense.
    I'm not so sure - I don't think anyone will have any problem including Liz Shaw. I'm less convinced by the arbitrary selection between Grace Holloway and, say, Astrid Peth - they seem to sit in the same category to me.
    The list is just a love fest to the 21st Century Doctor Who with the "I have to put Sarah Jane Smith at the top" nod to the 20th Century Doctor Who at the expense of the original run of the show.
    Perhaps the new series characters are just plain more interesting and better used?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilfred was a recurring character, not a companion. No matter how much we may love him. And K-9 was, at best, an accessory.

K9 was a compnaion. If you're going to include Kamelion you should include K9.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did say at the beginning of this thread that it would likely annoy you! :)
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Must resist making a list...

Bugger.

10. Zoe Heriot
    9. Ian Chesterton
    8. Neela
    7. Nyssa
    6. Martha Jones
    5. Romana II
    4. Donna Noble
    3. Liz Shaw
    2. Rose Tyler (Series 1)
    1. Sarah Jane Smith
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Must resist making a list...

Bugger.

10. Zoe Heriot
    9. Ian Chesterton
    8. Neela
    7. Nyssa
    6. Martha Jones
    5. Romana II
    4. Donna Noble
    3. Liz Shaw
    2. Rose Tyler (Series 1)
    1. Sarah Jane Smith

D'oh!

I must say, I love Liz Shaw. I've seen quite a few of her stories now and she's a very modern character. There's something very Dana Scully about her. A great shame she never got to travel in the TARDIS. Or, indeed, got to say goodbye to the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    D'oh!

I must say, I love Liz Shaw. I've seen quite a few of her stories now and she's a very modern character. There's something very Dana Scully about her. A great shame she never got to travel in the TARDIS. Or, indeed, got to say goodbye to the Doctor.

Aye. I think Liz Shaw was way before her time as a companion. There is something 'real' about her. It is a shame the producers didn't give the character a longer run.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    5. Romana II
    2. Rose Tyler (Series 1)

Hah! No splitting companions!
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely we can allow Romana I and Romana II, just as we have polls to decide our favourite Doctor, even though, technically, he's still the same person...
    But I agree, choosing Rose in series 1 over Rose at any other time is cheating a bit.

A list such as this will always be annoying. But this one is especially annoying for some reason!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    But I agree, choosing Rose in series 1 over Rose at any other time is cheating a bit.

:D
    Too late. I've gone and done it.

*Takes heavy 'Who list laws' book from it's scared alter (after surviving the hall of mirrors and the chessboard floor of doom) blows dust off it* ...nope nothing in there about it chaps.

Rose series one stands....Hurrah.:D