John says Bonnie's performances "are not skating" How VERY dare he?

andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
Forum Member
:mad: John said in yesterdays sun "bonnie is a good girl,and does her stuff,but its not realy skating"

Firstly as a frequent watcher of proffesional skating in competitions ect: i can confirm that bonnie's performances are the closest thing to a proper "ice dance" performance.

In ice dancing the routine is mainly made up of lifts and jump's,the only skating that is usually included in a routine is to gain momentum,in run up to lifts and is step sequences.

The other's do far more normal skating than bonnie and that why bonnie is nearly always the top choice with the judges!
:mad:

HOW VERY DARE HE?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Well hes got a point - theres only so many fancy jumps and throws she can do - her actual skating is a bit dodgy really..Still fuming about him being voted out!
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    he's right though isnt he

she gets thrown around a lot and thats about it

a lot of show with no substance
  • andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    fat_louie wrote:
    Well hes got a point - theres only so many fancy jumps and throws she can do - her actual skating is a bit dodgy really..Still fuming about him being voted out!

Her skating isn't the best but that's not what he is saying,he is saying that her routines are not skating routines.That is just wrong because she does do skating in the routine and in actual fact,the actual skating is not a big issue in professional competitions,the lifts and jumps are a far more important factors.
  • Arnostae's MumArnostae's Mum Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote:
    Her skating isn't the best but that's not what he is saying,he is saying that her routines are not skating routines.That is just wrong because she does do skating in the routine and in actual fact,the actual skating is not a big issue in professional competitions,the lifts and jumps are a far more important factors.

Did you read the ISU rules regarding Ice DANCE?

Pairs skating has many jumps, lifts etc, but Dance is about dancing and skating. Maybe you are too young to remember Torvill and Dean in their competition days.

From her current form, I'd suggest Bonnie would not be up to anything like the Bolero routine. There are few lifts and no jumps, but loads of skating.
  • mooniemukmooniemuk Posts: 1,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly and I may be wrong werent the men not allowed to raise their arms above waist or shoulder height when lifting in Dance whereas in pairs they can lift over your head
  • quelquechosequelquechose Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I think he has a point quite honestly. There is a lot of posing in the air and twirling around, but I still haven't seen her do a bit of good honest skating.
    Forum Member
    Did you read the ISU rules regarding Ice DANCE?

Pairs skating has many jumps, lifts etc, but Dance is about dancing and skating. Maybe you are too young to remember Torvill and Dean in their competition days.

From her current form, I'd suggest Bonnie would not be up to anything like the Bolero routine. There are few lifts and no jumps, but loads of skating.

I think we must remember that we are not watching professional ice skaters here.Comparing bonnie's routines to torvill and dean's balero is idiotic!

Also i happen to think her skating has improved week after week,and i saw very little wrong with her basic skating in last weekends routine!

There must be something good about her performances if the judges have given her the highest marks week after week.
  • quelquechosequelquechose Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily
  • Arnostae's MumArnostae's Mum Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote:
    I think we must remember that we are not watching professional ice skaters here.Comparing bonnie's routines to torvill and dean's balero is idiotic!

But the winning skaters will be trying to reproduce the Bolero routine. Obviously not quite as T&D performed it - that would be impossible. BUt they cannot call it Bolero if they are planning lots of lifts, and Bonnie has not yet shown she can skate and dance, not jump and lift. Big difference IMHO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Yes, John has a valid point. Bonnie is without doubt wonderfully agile, graceful and elegant as a dancer (which she is highly trained for). However, last week seemed to be the first week her skates have actually been on the ice for more than a few seconds at a time. No doubt she'll be working to improve this - she's nothing if not a trouper.
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    I totally agree with him. I'm not watching ti once sean gets voted off hes the only other one that can skate decently.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    andy614 wrote:
    thats not what the judges told John though was it

thats why they didnt put so many lifts/fancy moves in

look what happened to him this week
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote:
    :mad: John said in yesterdays sun "bonnie is a good girl,and does her stuff,but its not realy skating"

Firstly as a frequent watcher of proffesional skating in competitions ect: i can confirm that bonnie's performances are the closest thing to a proper "ice dance" performance.

In ice dancing the routine is mainly made up of lifts and jump's,the only skating that is usually included in a routine is to gain momentum,in run up to lifts and is step sequences.

The other's do far more normal skating than bonnie and that why bonnie is nearly always the top choice with the judges!
    :mad:

HOW VERY DARE HE?

Personally, I find it impossible to judge how good - or otherwise - a skater Bonnie is... her skates haven't been in contact with the ice long enough yet for me to form an opinon...
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Sean and Marika's routine a couple of weeks ago was much more Ice Dance than Pairs (i.e. no lifts), and yet they were marked down for it. I thought the routine was excellent and really showed Sean's skating ability more than any of their other routines.
  • ellie2ellie2 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    bonnie definitely spends more time in the air - impressive though it undoubtedly looks - than actualyy skating. we don't know yet how good her skating actually is cos we've hardly seen any
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with John

Bonnie relies on her impressive jumps

I have not seen her do any fancy step sequences she goes from lift to another
    Forum Member
    oh my word!

I am amazed and baffled by the comments made on here.

If you study the amount of time she actuay skates you will find that it isn't that much less than the others.I cannot see the problem in including lifts and jumps in the routine if that is what she is good at.

As an all-round performance bonnie's efforts have been the best and thats why she has been top of the score charts.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Forum Member
    I agree with John

Bonnie relies on her impressive jumps

I have not seen her do any fancy step sequences she goes from lift to another

that is not true because step sequences were the rquired eliment last week.Plus they have been included in every routine so far.To say she goes from one lift to another is a total lie,i have seen her do plenty of regular skating and the amount of lifts she does is no more than john did in his routines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really understood why he got such high praise from the judges - I didn't think he was that good at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bonnie looks good, moves like a dancer, looks the part, has great lifts and presentation, but I still fail to see her basic skating skills improve.

She's either on two feet, holding on to her partner, or skating like Bambi might, unsure and stiff. I think the choreo and the routine's layout, cover up her weaknesses and highlight her strong points, ie lifts etc.

There's always going to be a split decision on Bonnie.
    It's a toss up between whether people are happy enough with the choreo and aesthetics of the lifts, or whether people want to see the celebs actual skating well.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReReg wrote:
    I never really understood why he got such high praise from the judges .

Becuase he was the best skater on the show?? If you knew anything about Ice Skating you'd know he was the most natural out of the celebs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To start with I didn't think her performances were very good because she was just being thrown around by Matt, but I do think her skating has improved in the last two weeks. I still don't think she's the strongest skater (I personally thought John was)... but it's not really fair of him to say she's not skating, when she is really.

I love John but that does make him sound bitter. Maybe he should rephrase what he says!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's always going to be a split decision on Bonnie.
    It's a toss up between whether people are happy enough with the choreo and aesthetics of the lifts, or whether people want to see the celebs actual skating well.

That's a fair point. Personally I'm one of those who's more than happy with the choreography and aesthetics (although I still believe there's more to it than just that).

Whether Bonnie or any of the other celebs are skating 'well' in a technical sense I have absolutely no idea and to be honest I don't really care - for me it's about whether the routine's entertaining, whether the couple are working as one, whether they seem to be putting some feeling into the performance and whether they're trying to improve each week. As far as I'm concerned Bonnie (& partner) tick all those boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Becuase he was the best skater on the show?? If you knew anything about Ice Skating you'd know he was the most natural out of the celebs.

He looked like a naturally plonker when he fell flat on his arse.

Obviously the poorly-informed British public didn't know enough about Skating to vote for him.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReReg wrote:
    He looked like a naturally plonker when he fell flat on his arse.

No, He came across as a professional because eventhough he slipped and fell. He got straight back up and continued his routine in style with great dignity. Thats why he still ended up with the highest score that week from the judges.
    Obviously the poorly-informed British public didn't know enough about Skating to vote for him.

The majority of viewers were shocked by John's departure. Many people seemed to be under the impression that he was safe so didn't vote. Also he was a victim of the sympathy vote.