Options

Are Virgin getting better ?

womblerwombler Posts: 858
Forum Member
✭✭
In my opinion - a lot of people bleat on about sky having so many HD channels at the moment compared to Virgin, but tend to forget the leaps and bounds that Virgin have done in the past year or so.

The VOD on Demand and also Catch Up is used at least twice a week in my household - my daughter practically lives on the Music on Demand. True, we dont have as many channels as Sky, but in all fairness, can you really watch that many DIFFERENT channels ?

To me, the biggest and best thing Virgin have done recently is to start the card swap to N3. I think we all know someone with a dodgy box - knowing they will soon have to pay for their TV or go without puts a smile on my face.

I pay Virgin around £45 a month for XL tv plus XL BB, and if I am being truthful, my entire family usually watches around the same channels day in day out - so out of (for example), 100 channels, we watch 10 on a regular basis.

If I had a say in how they run their business, I would .....
  • Request individual channels rather than have to choose a package of channels
  • Have English Call Centres (!)
  • Do away with "loyalty discounts" - so everyone paid the same price for their services (and yes, I currently have a loyalty deal!)]
  • Have better communication between Virgin and customer - for example, have mailshot detailing what they are doing on our behalf, coming soon channels etc

More HD channels would be nice, and watching Life on BBC HD is stunning, but the V+ box does an excellent job of upscaling anyway. Again, in my opinion, if a channel does not broadcast exclusively in HD, then it is not an HD channel.

I would rather have quality than quantity any day of the week, but one persons likes are someone elses dislikes. We have reason sometimes to use the +1 services shown, but I notice they are not that popular here on the forum.

Why have Radio on the TV ? - I do realise not everyone has access to DAB yet, and I suppose I could understand the main BBC radio channels being on Virgin, but what interest would someone living in the South of England have with Radio Scotland, or Radio Ulster ?

I am happy with Virgin, and firmly believe they are now coming on in leaps and bounds. What does annoy me though is when I read on this forum from some that are demanding this or that to happen else they are off to Sky! - The HD channels come to mind.

I'm not trying to provoke a hate thread here - merely trying to re-address the balance.

Now I've said that, I'll probably go home and find my BB down again !

:D:D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    What I'd like from Virgin is enough bandwidth so that SD pictures don't turn to digital mush when there is a lot going on. I know that some of this will be down to the feeds they are getting, and I suspect some HD channel suppliers are now squeezing the SD bandwidth but it still annoys me.

I think the VOD is pretty good and I should use it more than I do.

Virgin DO fall down big time on Customer Services - its lousy.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen_A wrote: »
    What I'd like from Virgin is enough bandwidth so that SD pictures don't turn to digital mush when there is a lot going on. I know that some of this will be down to the feeds they are getting, and I suspect some HD channel suppliers are now squeezing the SD bandwidth but it still annoys me.

I think the VOD is pretty good and I should use it more than I do.

Virgin DO fall down big time on Customer Services - its lousy.

It's not the best, but then again - I've only had to contact them very rarely.

I'm on XL too, Music On Demand is great - as is 'More TV on Demand'. I've watched whole series of Black Books, Nighty Night etc.

Now Catch-up includes ITV programmes, you can't miss anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    In many cases Virgin rebroadcast the local Freeview or national Satellite signals. They don't tend to encode the channels themselves.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

It's not the best, but then again - I've only had to contact them very rarely.

I'm on XL too, Music On Demand is great - as is 'More TV on Demand'. I've watched whole series of Black Books, Nighty Night etc.

Now Catch-up includes ITV programmes, you can't miss anything.

also we will most likely be getting fiveod very soon ;)
  • Options
    madnutter0102madnutter0102 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    i would love them to get rid of their overseas call centres as they are a personal bugbear of mine, but i realise they probably wont.
  • Options
    ashjfashjf Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember emailing five and they said they would be launching on Virgin media in early 2010.

Plus we are suppose to be getting another HD channel.....Good Food HD.

Not much more to look forward to just yet, I dont think anyway.
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashjf wrote: »
    I remember emailing five and they said they would be launching on Virgin media in early 2010.

Plus we are suppose to be getting another HD channel.....Good Food HD.

Not much more to look forward to just yet, I dont think anyway.

is "Good Food HD" a channel most people would watch though? - by that I mean what advantage would the picture be in HD as oppposed to say Discovery HD - a lion hiding in grass surely would be more appeasing to the eye in HD than a tin of beans, and Delia ?

(or is that just me!)
  • Options
    ScottishwhiteScottishwhite Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but Nigella Lawson in HD would be very tempting
  • Options
    timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is "Good Food HD" a channel most people would watch though?

Exactly, the HD content that Virgin have given us is utter bollox, apart from ESPN HD for the sport, and maybe one other, but the rest ( which isn't many) are just rubbish, lets face it, the majority of people want Sky Sports etc in HD, i know people will say "well if you want that then go to Sky" but imo i don't think Virgin are trying hard enough to supply the HD content that their customers want.
  • Options
    cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    but Nigella Lawson in HD would be very tempting

oh yes i agree :p