Options

What car to buy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I know nothing about cars....but i want a new one...I have around £7000 to spend.....I'm after a second hand one..

I want a bigger engine than my current Ford KA which is a 1.3.

I like Renault Megane, Ford Fiesta, VW Beetle, Mini Cooper or Vauxhall Tigra...Any advice on any of these?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you be a bit more specific as to what you will use it for, what fuel and what "body" size (the examples you gave vary)??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ok...Just to get to work...last year i only did 4000 approx....I don't want a massive car but a bit bigger than a KA would be ok...Petrol i think...I don't know if diesel is better or not.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be a car dealer's dream customer, you don't know what the hell you want !!!
    Stick with tried and tested small, mid market models: Fusion, Corsa, Astra, Civic.

Go on t'interweb , there are plenty used car comparison websites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok...Just to get to work...last year i only did 4000 approx....I don't want a massive car but a bit bigger than a KA would be ok...Petrol i think...I don't know if diesel is better or not.

If you're only doing that few miles a year, I wouldn't bother with diesel. And I wouldn't pick any of the models you first suggested. Do you need 5 doors, boot space, are you mindful of the road tax you will need to pay depending on certain cars?
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    If you're only doing that few miles a year, I wouldn't bother with diesel. And I wouldn't pick any of the models you first suggested. Do you need 5 doors, boot space, are you mindful of the road tax you will need to pay depending on certain cars?

Well looking around on Autotrader, the OP could get a fairly new Fiesta (07/57) for £6000 - £7000.
    1.4 Diesel, which tax for 12 months is only £30.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old are you?
    Any no claims bonus?
    As if you are young 7 grand might just pay the insurance on some cars :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 27, 5 years no claims...

Thanks for the info on the Ford Fiesta....!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and doesn't have to be 5 door, 3 is fine....need good boot space...and no too fussed about road tax!
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Renault Megane you are looking at a 1.6 2-3 years old 25-30k miles

Like this one.Megane
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would still get an insurance quote first for a few of the cars you have mentioned. You are mostly likely in for a bit of a shock! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    insurance on the megane is the same as now about £35 a month...which is fine with me...

Which is more reliable the megane or Fiesta?
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) Fiesta rather than a Megane.

But have you ever thought about a Suzuki Swift?.Cracking looking and driving car.Good build quality and reliability record.Cheap insurance as well.A nice 3 year old red 1.5GLX(from a main dealer with good warranty) will be within your budget.Air con,alloys cd etc. 'What Car?' rates them very highly too.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suzuki Swift does look good! Wicked thank you!
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you only do that many miles, I wouldn't spend anywhere near that much. Why not spend about 1500 on a slightly older Golf or Fiesta and pocket the difference....
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Get a Toyota Corolla.

Thread Closed.

:D
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I know nothing about cars....but i want a new one...I have around £7000 to spend.....I'm after a second hand one..

I want a bigger engine than my current Ford KA which is a 1.3.

I like Renault Megane, Ford Fiesta, VW Beetle, Mini Cooper or Vauxhall Tigra...Any advice on any of these?

Having an engine bigger than 1.3 won't necessarily mean it's faster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a suzuki swift "sport" with the 1.6 engine 3dr model. I LOVE it! Such a nice car to drive. I had a SPORTKA before.

Its a 2007 and cost me £8.5k but im in the highlands and prices are huuuugely inflated!
  • Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was me, I'd get a fun car with that low number of miles.

I current have a SAAB convertible, and although I do 14k miles a year at 33mpg, I am not complaining!

Thought of a Citroen? My dad has a C3 and he loves it! It is a very nice drive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Swift is a great little car and you should get a nearly new one for £7k.

Mini is a quality small car that's fun to drive but you'll be looking at an older model in your price range.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cpikey316_ wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd get a fun car with that low number of miles.

I current have a SAAB convertible, and although I do 14k miles a year at 33mpg, I am not complaining!

Thought of a Citroen? My dad has a C3 and he loves it! It is a very nice drive.

So budget £3k for the car and the other £4k for running repairs? :D
  • Options
    DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Volkswagen Polo.

90,000 miles from new and mine has NEVER let me down. Shame I can't say the same for the pile of crap Renault's I've owned in the past :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just bought a 4 year old diesel Renault Clio 1.5. It's fab....can do 90 with easy on the motorway, but still only uses about 46mpg on a long fast trip. When we are driving a more sensible speed it goes up to nearly 60mpg. Tax only £30.
    WE paid £6k for it....and it had only done 25,000 miles.
    Lots of boot space too
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunkissed wrote: »
    I have a suzuki swift "sport" with the 1.6 engine 3dr model. I LOVE it! Such a nice car to drive. I had a SPORTKA before.

Its a 2007 and cost me £8.5k but im in the highlands and prices are huuuugely inflated!

Awesome little car.Even the hard core petrol heads at EVO rate it.Check out it's 'end of term' report.:cool:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/220254/suzuki_swift_sport.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suzuki swift "sport" it is...thank you all for your help! woo woooooo new car time!