Options

Burning Quran to protest against intolreance of fanatics...

Comments

• Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    Or why flag burning and effigy burning and branding the first lady of another state a 'prostitute' is okay, or stoning people to death, or chopping peoples hands off or murdering people for being gay, or blowing up people who are the same religion as you because you don't like their sect is okay, or brutally oppressing women is okay.

But burning a few pieces of paper is terrible, terrible, terrible and the usual handwringing apologists will have a hissy fit over it.
    Maybe it's because chopping people's hands off and oppressing women doesn't increase their carbon footprint?
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Really can't see what the problem is. Surely even the Muslim world are intelligent enough to realise it is a very small bunch of ***** who don't represent the majority. So they burn a few books. Big deal.
    If it was that simple it would be less of an issue. Those who want to abuse this story will use it to generate more hatred towards the West and to convince those who can be persuaded to turn to terrorist activity that it is needed.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    When a government makes repeated attempts to overturn a ruling continually since it was made (including succesful and failed attempts) then something is not right. It suggest a flaw in those in power. Although to be fair, there are many examples of that from the Bush regime.

I am not a fan of laws being only applicable in certain cases. If you are guilty of inciting hatred, the group you are inciting against should not come in to whether it is a criminal offence or not.

However I do recognise it is a tricky area legally to define without lots of failed prosecutions, which leads to a lack of faith in the law by the populous. We've already seen that with some of the cases taken in the law as is.

Hence the separation of powers. What is your alternative?

Laws against inciting hatred sound nice, but it also sounds a little like thought police.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    This guy is basically Christianity's version of Abu Hamza and others like him. He preaches hatered and intolerance and nobody should give him the time of day. You can talk all day about Islam and it's extremists, but Christianity has them too, many of whom are from the bible-belt of the USA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    Yep, but if you burn a bible nobody threatens to kill people because you have.

No, but they do shoot abortion providers in church.

These people that are burning the Koran are the same sort that blew up black churches in the South. Let's not forget that these assholes are painting all our American Muslim brothers and sisters as terrorists.

I won't go over old ground, but this sickens me as an American. We never, ever had problems with Muslims before and our Muslim brothers and sisters are Americans, love America and don't want to be shat upon because of what some extremists did. I guess Reverend F**kwit should go to Monticello and burn the copy of the Koran that Thomas Jefferson had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Given it's one of the most influential books in the world, if you have an opinion on it, it wouldn't hurt to have actually read it, at least a little.

I have one. I wanted to see what the damned fuss was about and really, it's no more provactive than the Bible. There's a lot of purple prose and some flowery language, but it's a bit meh. Revelations in the Bible is truly f**king scary and crazy. It's why Christian Dominonists scare the shit out of me.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    Are Muslims allowed to make films about the stories in the Koran?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    For seperation of powers I would say politics has far more influence on law in the USA than in the UK. I am surprised this has been repeatedly overturned.
    Laws against inciting hatred sound nice, but it also sounds a little like thought police.
    Law already dictates that across all areas. It is also why it is hard to set up a framework for such a law as the definition has to be wooly to a certain extent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »

Why don't you ask a Muslim filmmaker? I wish people like Mel Gibson wouldn't make stories about the Bible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For seperation of powers I would say politics has far more influence on law in the USA than in the UK. I am surprised this has been repeatedly overturned.

Law already dictates that across all areas. It is also why it is hard to set up a framework for such a law as the definition has to be wooly to a certain extent.

What are you talking about? There have been attempts to make an amendment banning flag-burning, but there is absolutely no way it would be ratified. It simply wouldn't get 3/4 of the the States' votes. Furthermore, an amendment banning flag burning contravenes the First Amendment. The Supreme Court would strike it down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but they do shoot abortion providers in church.

These people that are burning the Koran are the same sort that blew up black churches in the South. Let's not forget that these assholes are painting all our American Muslim brothers and sisters as terrorists.

I won't go over old ground, but this sickens me as an American. We never, ever had problems with Muslims before and our Muslim brothers and sisters are Americans, love America and don't want to be shat upon because of what some extremists did. I guess Reverend F**kwit should go to Monticello and burn the copy of the Koran that Thomas Jefferson had.

Good rant, whydoiwatch :). Agree with it all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about? There have been attempts to make an amendment banning flag-burning, but there is absolutely no way it would be ratified. It simply wouldn't get 3/4 of the the States' votes. Furthermore, an amendment banning flag burning contravenes the First Amendment. The Supreme Court would strike it down.

rwould seems to have a problem with people being allowed to propose changes to the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mamasan wrote: »
    Good rant, whydoiwatch :). Agree with it all.

Nobody does it better.
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Really can't see what the problem is. Surely even the Muslim world are intelligent enough to realise it is a very small bunch of ***** who don't represent the majority. So they burn a few books. Big deal.

Really can't see what the problem is. Surely even the Deep South of America are intelligent enough to realise it is a very small bunch of ***** who don't represent the majority. So they fly a few planes into a building. Big deal.

You see the issue? Extremists begat extremists. Extremist Muslims bring out Extremist Christians bring out Extremist Muslims.... You see the pattern...
  • Options
    thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We do not need THOUGHT POCLICE. We must be FREE to think what we like. And have no government tell us what to THINK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you even read the link I posted earlier? Clearly not....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thelostone wrote: »
    We do not need THOUGHT POCLICE. We must be FREE to think what we like. And have no government tell us what to THINK.
    As the government dictates the educational system and what can and cannot be released every government tells you what to think. It does not mean you have to follow the party line though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    The Snakes wrote: »

Yes, but we're not allowed to show the faces of any prophets.. especially Muhammad PBUH.

This guy is so sutpid. Seriously, burning the Quran is going to make things even worse. If he does go ahead with it, he better watch his back, the Muslims all over the world will be onto him I reckon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mamasan wrote: »
    rwould seems to have a problem with people being allowed to propose changes to the law.
    ???
    Bearing in mind I have advocated changing our laws for incitement of racial/religious hatred clearly you are talking rubbish and ignoring what is typed.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they want to burn the Koran. I have no problem with that. I'm not a big fan of book burning but it is one of the quickest ways to identify ignorance. However if they want to burn books and intentionally cause huge offence to a massive multinational group of people. Then they should be willing to stand firmly behind their actions no matter the repercussions. If for example, a bomb goes off and the group responsible claims it was in response to the koran burning. Then the responsibility for the attack is just as much with those provoked the attack as it is with those who planted the bomb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you even read the link I posted earlier? Clearly not....

What do you suppose the chance are of the Supreme Court overturning its ruling when even Antonin Scalia opposes a ban?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    What's the betting that all the people burning US flags and planning on attacking US targets abroad have completely ignored that the US government, and religious authorities in the US, have attacked this planned protest?

I guess they just don't understand the whole concept of freedom of speech, and how the US government can't just go in and imprison or stone the people who are planning to take part in this protest.
  • Options
    cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    Then the responsibility for the attack is just as much with those provoked the attack as it is with those who planted the bomb.
    Utter Rubbish, If you insult someone and then they go OTT and kill you, your equally to blame?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    Yes, but we're not allowed to show the faces of any prophets.. especially Muhammad PBUH.

This guy is so sutpid. Seriously, burning the Quran is going to make things even worse. If he does go ahead with it, he better watch his back, the Muslims all over the world will be onto him I reckon.

You are doing Muslims a disservice by saying that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cribology wrote: »
    Utter Rubbish, If you insult someone and then they go OTT and kill you, your equally to blame?
    What it does is continue to perpetuate continual violence as those involved in this will then feel justified in their views and continue to peddle them.