Is it too much to expect my Bank to take my personal security as seriously as I do.

MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just had a call on a withheld number. I don't usually answer them but today I did.

Person asked for Madamfluff when I confirmed yes its me they asked if it was alright to talk when I asked who is was they said it was my bank.

They then started to ask security questions I was like:confused: why do they think I am stupid enough to answer my bank security questions to someone on a withheld number I had no way of knowing I was actually talking to my Bank.

The person on the other end was very surprised when I refused and seemed very put out when I told her to ring me back on a checkable number or write to me.

With so many scams going around do banks actually expect people to give out personal details unless they have proof they are actually talking to the bank.

They make me go through hoops to prove my identity to them but get a bit :( when asked to do the same

Comments

• Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that has happened to me and when I checked it out it was actually my bank, bonkers isnt it?
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    that has happened to me and when I checked it out it was actually my bank, bonkers isnt it?

How did you check out a withheld number?
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    How did you check out a withheld number?

I rang my bank & asked them if it was them calling me and they confirmed it was one of their call centres.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - did you ring your bank back to see if it was them who had called you originally?
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Surely you'd ask them some relevant info that you'd expect the bank to know: first line of your address, postcode, your a/c sortcode, last 4 digits of the a/c no etc. Or even just 'which bank is this?', although there's a good chance of them getting that right. It also depends what they're asking for too - they'll never ask for your log-in credentials over the phone, and there can't be that much that they could fish for without getting your back up to the extent that you cut the call. Or is it just me? :)
  • RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    it was only a few years ago that the bank explicitly said they would NEVER call you about your bank details.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Oh yes this has happened with me before. I always refuse, if it's important they will be in touch other ways. They shouldn't do this, knowing how fraud is a serious problem, they are forever telling you not to divulge details yet phone you asking for details. When one asked me for my details and I refused, they said oh we can't carry on with this call then.....fair enough, you have wasted your own time as I didn't contact you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    OP - did you ring your bank back to see if it was them who had called you originally?

I can see no reason for them to contact me seeing as I use another bank for day to day stuff and there is not much in this account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Surely you'd ask them some relevant info that you'd expect the bank to know: first line of your address, postcode, your a/c sortcode, last 4 digits of the a/c no etc. Or even just 'which bank is this?', although there's a good chance of them getting that right. It also depends what they're asking for too - they'll never ask for your log-in credentials over the phone, and there can't be that much that they could fish for without getting your back up to the extent that you cut the call. Or is it just me? :)

They did say what bank they were (its one I use) a clever fraudster could know other details like address and DOB and but they don't know my 4 digit security no and they don't know the answer to two security questions that are asked which are Mothers maiden name and last school they always ask one of these questions and ask for two of the numbers

So a fraudster could ring up twice the first time they could ask whats the 1st and 4th number and whats your mothers maiden name, then they could ring again an ask thats the 2cnd and 3rd number and the name of your last school.

Then they have my number code my mothers maiden name and my last school.

Then they can ring my bank and have the answers to all the security questions.

I dont do internet banking and this bank has no branches on the IOW so if I use this bank all transactions are done over the phone (but I ring them)
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing has happened to me. It's utterly mental. You could perhaps forgive a small business which might not know better, but for a bank to actively encourage its customers to divulge personal information to unverified cold callers is bizarre. I have no idea why they are allowed to do this.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did say what bank they were (its one I use) a clever fraudster could know other details like address and DOB and but they don't know my 4 digit security no and they don't know the answer to two security questions that are asked which are Mothers maiden name and last school they always ask one of these questions and ask for two of the numbers

So a fraudster could ring up twice the first time they could ask whats the 1st and 4th number and whats your mothers maiden name, then they could ring again an ask thats the 2cnd and 3rd number and the name of your last school.

Then they have my number code my mothers maiden name and my last school.

Then they can ring my bank and have the answers to all the security questions.

I dont do internet banking and this bank has no branches on the IOW so if I use this bank all transactions are done over the phone (but I ring them)
    As you say, a scammer won't know the correct answers so if you are in any way suspicious simply get the answer "wrong". The scammer won't know any better and will accept those details and try to continue the scam. At which point you put the phone down. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As you say, a scammer won't know the correct answers so if you are in any way suspicious simply get the answer "wrong". The scammer won't know any better and will accept those details and try to continue the scam. At which point you put the phone down. :)

Good idea may try that if they ring again
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have to ring customers in relation to possible fraudulent transactions from the bank I work at. But we only ever ask the customer to confirm their address and date of birth and no account specific information. If the customer doesn't feel comfortable we're not allowed to challenge this in any way and ask them to call back on the number printed on their bank card or call into branch.

After all, the main thing is that we have informed the customer that we need to speak to them to confirm some recent card transactions and inform them that their card will remain temporarily blocked until they make contact (we also issue a letter confirming this).

With so much fraud about nowadays, for all the bank know somebody else may have the phone you have registered with them and as such it their responsibility to make sure they are speaking to the cardholder about such matter. F**k them, right?!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have to ring customers in relation to possible fraudulent transactions from the bank I work at. But we only ever ask the customer to confirm their address and date of birth and no account specific information. If the customer doesn't feel comfortable we're not allowed to challenge this in any way and ask them to call back on the number printed on their bank card or call into branch.

After all, the main thing is that we have informed the customer that we need to speak to them to confirm some recent card transactions and inform them that their card will remain temporarily blocked until they make contact (we also issue a letter confirming this).

With so much fraud about nowadays, for all the bank know somebody else may have the phone you have registered with them and as such it their responsibility to make sure they are speaking to the cardholder about such matter. F**k them, right?!!

My bank has done this but has never used a withheld number, with so much fraud nowadays for all the customer knows it may not be their bank phoning and as such it is their responsibility to make sure they are speaking to the bank about such matters - see works both ways.

Oh BTW you do know about the latest scam

The card fraud telephone scam is a new variation on an old style scam that involves people being telephoned by fraudsters and duped into handing over their debit or credit card, and revealing their PIN.
    How does the scam happen?
    A fraudster rings you, claiming to be from your bank, saying their systems have spotted a fraudulent payment on your card or that your card is due to expire and needs replacing.
    You may be asked to ring back using the phone number on the back of your card - which further convinces you the call is genuine. However, the criminal keeps the line open at their end so, when you make the call, you are unknowingly connected straight back to the fraudster.

Then, by seeming to offer assistance, the fraudster tries to gain your trust. In most cases you are asked to ‘cancel’ your existing card or ‘activate’ or ‘authorise’ a replacement card by keying your PIN into your phone’s handset.

The fraudster then poses as a bank representative to pick up your card from your home, sometimes giving you a replacement card, which is a fake. In some cases a genuine courier company is hired to pick up the card, which the victim has been asked to place into an envelope.

Once they have your card and PIN the fraudster uses them to spend your money.

A variation of the scam involves the fraudster ringing a prospective victim and claiming to be from the police – again with the aim of going to the victim’s home to collect the card and PIN.

So if any body rings me about fraud they can block my card but I wont be ringing up the number on the back of my card - at least not on the phone number I was rung on
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With so many scams going around do banks actually expect people to give out personal details unless they have proof they are actually talking to the bank
    Happens all the time....

I think the truth is they don't really care about security at all as long as it's the customer bearing any losses.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    Yup, Barclays do that. They cold call then before speaking they ask to me to confirm my birthday. To be fair when I object and ask if they can give me a name or extension i can use to call them they always oblige but since they seem so understanding I don't know why they persist in making the request in the first place.
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have to in my job to check the person we are speaking to is the right client. Especially when calling mobile numbers.

I have never had anyone question it when I call them, which always surprises me.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bank has done this but has never used a withheld number, with so much fraud nowadays for all the customer knows it may not be their bank phoning and as such it is their responsibility to make sure they are speaking to the bank about such matters - see works both ways.
    It is very easy to spoof the CLI information on a phone system to make the call appear to come from anywhere. So seeing what appears to be the correct number is no guarantee it really is from who you think it is.

A lot of bank numbers are freely available on their websites so an easy matter to program up your phone system to send one of those when calling.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The card fraud telephone scam is a new variation on an old style scam that involves people being telephoned by fraudsters and duped into handing over their debit or credit card, and revealing their PIN.
    A fraudster rings you, claiming to be from your bank, saying their systems have spotted a fraudulent payment on your card or that your card is due to expire and needs replacing.
    You may be asked to ring back using the phone number on the back of your card - which further convinces you the call is genuine. However, the criminal keeps the line open at their end so, when you make the call, you are unknowingly connected straight back to the fraudster.

Then, by seeming to offer assistance, the fraudster tries to gain your trust. In most cases you are asked to ‘cancel’ your existing card or ‘activate’ or ‘authorise’ a replacement card by keying your PIN into your phone’s handset.

The fraudster then poses as a bank representative to pick up your card from your home, sometimes giving you a replacement card, which is a fake. In some cases a genuine courier company is hired to pick up the card, which the victim has been asked to place into an envelope.

A variation of the scam involves the fraudster ringing a prospective victim and claiming to be from the police – again with the aim of going to the victim’s home to collect the card and PIN.

So if any body rings me about fraud they can block my card but I wont be ringing up the number on the back of my card - at least not on the phone number I was rung on

Well usually when the card is blocked and the customer can't use it they phone the bank to find out why and it's usually the easiest way.

But I can't fathom why some customers say to me "I'm not speaking to you, give me your number and I'll call back!" Erm, doesn't that defeat the purpose. Usually just ask them to get it from their card, out website, or phone book.

But as stated in my first post, we only ask non account related questions so it's never been that much of an issue for us. However, and I've worked for a few of the high street banks over the years, I've never known them to ask full security on such calls and wouldn't answer those questions myself should I be contacted.
  • jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wished banks would stop using agencies to do things like this. They tell you to keep details secure and then get Joe Boggs market research to phone you up and ask security questions. My question would be how secure are these market researchers computers.
    Anyone phones you I don't care who they are, I simply refuse to answer any questions and suggest they write to me instead. Trust no-one.
    Never understood why they use mothers maiden name for security, just log onto ancestry.co.uk it tells you, assuming you have a few other basic details. Facebook's also useful people show who their relatives are makes getting details really easy. Best one are the dopes who show their DOB.
  • mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not banking but I often have to ring customers back for my work. It probably does come up as 0800... On the phone and I have quite a few people slam phone down on me or tell me to go away but soon as I ask them x they soon listen, sometimes they deal with me or they can ring back
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see no reason for them to contact me seeing as I use another bank for day to day stuff and there is not much in this account.

The reason I asked was because you were being criticial of your bank for not taking your personal security seriously, but it may very well have not been your bank ringing you.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are legally obliged to ask these questions and cannot do the reverse (i.e you ask them personal details to check). It may seem crazy but that's what they have to do to comply with Data Protection.

However when I worked in a call center I would encourage the customer to call in if they felt uneasy in any way and if the call was unexpected.
    Its amazing how many who, concerend with their security, agreed to call in instead would then ask me for the number to call on. :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Hang on. How on Earth does that work? If I end a call received from a fraudster and then make a fresh call using the legitimate bank number, I won't be connected to the previous caller, regardless of whether they've 'left the line open at their end' (was this the 1950s?:confused:) or not. That's just ridiculous.

The rest of it's equally implausible. How does the fraudster know you live close enough to make it worthwhile travelling to your house, impersonating a bank employee and collecting your existing card? Who would be daft enough to swallow this story in the first place? Banks don't ask you to return cards when they replace them for any reason - they tell you to destroy them. How does a fraudster manufacture a convincing fake card to give to you, anyway? They're not easy to forge. You didn't read about this scam on the internet, did you?:D

I've been called by the fraud section of my bank. I was immediately suspicious, especially as the guy had an Indian accent and said politely said that I was ending the conversation. I then rang my bank (first direct - lovely people) and found that it was indeed a legitimate call concerning a suspicious transaction.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on. How on Earth does that work? If I end a call received from a fraudster and then make a fresh call using the legitimate bank number, I won't be connected to the previous caller, regardless of whether they've 'left the line open at their end' (was this the 1950s?:confused:) or not. That's just ridiculous..

Actually no. If the other person doesn't clear the line you cannot connect to anyone else. I know it worked that way until very recently and it is a vulnerability in the system. Dont know if its fixed but easy enough to test out with a friend.