Options

Should the courts intervene when a lifesaving transfusion is denied by a JW parent?

~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
Forum Member
Judge allows Jehovah's Witness baby to have blood transfusions despite parents' objections. Link

I've quoted the headline as it appears in the newspaper and my first point is that I object strongly to the baby being described as being a Jehovah's Witness, the baby is not a JW, the baby is just that, a baby, it's the infant's parents who are JW.

Now to my second point which is, had the courts not intervened and the baby had died because of his parents' objections and misguided beliefs, should they themselves be brought before the courts and charged with manslaughter, or even worse, murder?

Comments

• Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Yes, the State should intervene, as it has a duty to one of its citizens if its biological parents are unable to understand or consent to a procedure that in the opinion of medical experts, gives that person the best chance of life. Woolly beliefs and other superstitions should be disregarded.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - without a doubt the courts should intervene and, if the child died due to their delusions, they should be charged, probably not with murder, but causing death by neglect or whatever the correct legal charge would be.
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If our society is concerned enough about children's welfare to try and ban smoking when they're in the car, then we certainly should make sure they can have essential medical treatment, whatever the parents might believe. Adults can make the choice, but they shouldn't be able to force it on their children.

On your second point... If they were informed of the risks of the baby not receiving a blood transfusion, and they still refused, then that sounds like a chargeable offence to me.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think they should but they should also be there for the fall out afterwards when the child is possibly rejected and should take the child's opinion into account when doing the intervening. If a child is old enough they should be allowed to make their own decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Yes I think they should but they should also be there for the fall out afterwards when the child is possibly rejected and should take the child's opinion into account when doing the intervening. If a child is old enough they should be allowed to make their own decision.

I'm not talking about a child here, I'm talking about a defenseless baby who could, potentially, be murdered through pure ignorance and the gullibility of its delusional parents. Even worse is your claim that children should be allowed to make their own decisions. Lord of the Flies, anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I'm not talking about a child here, I'm talking about a defenseless baby who could, potentially, be murdered through pure ignorance and the gullibility of its delusional parents. Even worse is your claim that children should be allowed to make their own decisions. Lord of the Flies, anyone?

What in my post would say the baby shouldn't be saved ? and lord of the flies ? surely you missed then the law changes recently in other countries allowing children to end their lives if they understood and were facing death ? We have to listen to children when they are old enough to speak for themselves.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely yes. Being a parent gives you parental rights, not the right to choose whether your child should possible live or die when they have no need to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What in my post would say the baby shouldn't be saved ? and lord of the flies ? surely you missed then the law changes recently in other countries allowing children to end their lives if they understood and were facing death ? We have to listen to children when they are old enough to speak for themselves.

Babies cannot speak for themselves, they're at the mercy of their misguided parents and that's what my thread is about.

When it comes to children, okay, children can always speak for themselves but most of us, who reached adulthood, know that what we believed as children wasn't always the case when we grew to maturity.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At what age does the state cease to intevene? Is it adulthood - 16, 18 or 21?

What about mentally ill people - we intervene at any age if someone is putting their life at risk due to a deluded state. I would argue that someone who puts their life at risk due to the disputed interpretation of three or four sentences in a book written 2000 years ago in a foreign languauge is deluded - should we therefore intervene, or look at it as Darwinism in action?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Babies cannot speak for themselves, they're at the mercy of their misguided parents and that's what my thread is about.

When it comes to children, okay, children can always speak for themselves but most of us, who reached adulthood, know that what we believed as children wasn't always the case when we grew to maturity.

Babies cannot speak for themselves, nor can children until they reach a age of real understanding, so yes the state should step in and protect the child
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I apologise for actually putting some thought into the question.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any child is at risk of harm, regardless of the source of that harm, then I can't really see an argument not to intervene.

Parents should always do what is best for the wellbeing of their child, and if they believe that religion plays a part in that fair enough, but not to the point where physical health - which at least can be measured - is put at risk. Mental health...well, that's another question.

Once an individual is old enough to make a personal informed choice, then they should be allowed to do so.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good summary on how Jehovahs Witnesses feel about all sorts of things, the part on blood is half way down the article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/witnesses/witnessethics/ethics_1.shtml

It is on the BBC website and it written up in a very easy way to understand.
    It is not biased one way or the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is a good summary on how Jehovahs Witnesses feel about all sorts of things, the part on blood is half way down the article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/witnesses/witnessethics/ethics_1.shtml

It is on the BBC website and it written up in a very easy way to understand.
    It is not biased one way or the other.

and... your point is? Are you defending those who would happily see their child die, or are you trying to convince the rest of us that those who do are above the law because of their misguided belief in fairy tales?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and... your point is? Are you defending those who would happily see their child die, or are you trying to convince the rest of us that those who do are above the law because of their misguided belief in fairy tales?

Pardon me?
    I linked an article that I found on the net that I actually think is very interesting about the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Some people will join in a thread like this without any proper knowledge of what certain religions even believe.
    That was my point in linking it Twinkle.
    No need to be so aggressive now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pardon me?
    I linked an article that I found on the net that I actually think is very interesting about the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Some people will join in a thread like this without even any proper knowledge of what certain religions even believe.

I think twinkle just wants a yes or no answer, no further thought put into it.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Pardon me?
    Some people will join in a thread like this without even any proper knowledge of what certain religions even believe.

To me, the article you linked just enforced my belief that JW really are nutters.

No kissing until your married ? What's all that about ?

There interpretation of biblical texts is absolutely mind boggling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    To me, the article you linked just enforced my belief that JW really are nutters.

No mastibation either :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed but in a free country they are allowed to believe and follow whatever religious rules they wish, only time we should interfere is with children who cannot make their own decisions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No mastibation either :o

That's 99% of DS members out then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed but in a free country they are allowed to believe and follow whatever religious rules they wish, only time we should interfere is with children who cannot make their own decisions.

I agree.
    In all cases I have seen in the media about this subject the courts does intervene and blood will be given.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's 99% of DS members out then.

Are we all ******* then? ;-):D
    Oh that word is banned, it begun with W.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Babies cannot speak for themselves, nor can children until they reach a age of real understanding, so yes the state should step in and protect the child

Agreed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

How anyone can sit and watch their Child die because they need blood is just mind blowing and wrong on every level to me :cry: and is the one thing about JW that really angers me >:(
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member

Yeah I agree. Just look at the amount of aborted babies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. Just look at the amount of aborted babies.

A foetus isnt a baby.