Marina and the Diamonds - Froot (Album Thread, April 6th)

spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Marina and the Diamonds 3rd studio album titled "Froot" will be released on April 6th in the UK under Atlantic Records.

Tracklisting:
1. Happy
2. Froot
3. I'm A Ruin
4. Blue
5. Forget
6. Gold
7. Can't Pin Me Down
8. Solitaire
9. Better Than That
10. Weeds
11. Savages
12. Immortal

Album cover: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2F59lUIAAApEBz.jpg

The album will be available to pre-order in the UK & worldwide from Midnight tonight. The title track is an instant grat and the music video for it will also be available from Midnight.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still mixed on Froot but looking forward to this. April seems ages but then at least i have my first album of 2015 to look forward to.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still mixed on Froot but looking forward to this. April seems ages but then at least i have my first album of 2015 to look forward to.

Rumour has it we'll be getting one song and video per month up until the album's release. Marina's always been about the visuals so I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen, especially nowadays with audiences wanting more before an album's release.

An email goes out to fans at midnight tonight explaining what'll be happening throughout the next few months. I'm guessing it'll be Marina's own version of a press release.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate that cover it's shite I'm sorry it's awful. But looking forward to the album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I hate that cover it's shite I'm sorry it's awful. But looking forward to the album.

Yeah I'm not sold on it, she looks beautiful as ever on the cover but the typography looks weird and the FROOT logo is just pasted on.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this. Will probably download Froot tonight.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumour has it we'll be getting one song and video per month up until the album's release. Marina's always been about the visuals so I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen, especially nowadays with audiences wanting more before an album's release.

An email goes out to fans at midnight tonight explaining what'll be happening throughout the next few months. I'm guessing it'll be Marina's own version of a press release.

I'm so excited if this is true! :D I love Marina and you're right, she's a very visual artist so I can't wait to see what she delivers! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited if this is true! :D I love Marina and you're right, she's a very visual artist so I can't wait to see what she delivers! :)

When the album pre-order went up in New Zealand, 5 songs and the track times were already visible. She's also tweeted something about "Froot of the month", I'd say it's a dead cert. We'll find out in less than an hour anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marina confirmed one song will be released per month up until the album's release. She's done an extensive interview here which sums up everything. Sounds like the main single is a track called Blue.

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/interviews/marina-and-the-diamonds-froot/
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually love the cover but after listening a few times I can't stand 'Froot.' I don't get it and I hope this isn't the first Marina album I'm disappointed in.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmm interesting. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno how I feel about this instant grat crap. I'm old skill and have seen so many instances of possible singles being scupperef by being released months before. Plus it lessens the albums run and creates more of a reason for re-releases later on. Plus the video left me cold. It's too primadonna with a dance routine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought "Froot", it's rather good. looking forward to the album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I dunno how I feel about this instant grat crap. I'm old skill and have seen so many instances of possible singles being scupperef by being released months before. Plus it lessens the albums run and creates more of a reason for re-releases later on. Plus the video left me cold. It's too primadonna with a dance routine.

I'm the same.

I think alot of artists are trying new things nowadays to keep an audience interested. I appreciate Marina's efforts because I know she'll see this idea through and try to make it as fun as possible for fans.

I myself would rather have one or two singles followed by the album. I'm not sure if there's even going to be a main single, unless she goes ahead and pushes Blue, we'll have to wait and see. Overall though, as long as the music is good, I'm happy. I'm in love with FROOT, the video.. not so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly it's one of those keys wait and see things. Froot has grown do much but im with you video leaves me cold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lyrics for every track leaked via her website. Some of her best work yet, Happy's lyrics are phenomenal, if abit sad. They've been taken down now but some are still doing the rounds. It turns out Marina wrote everything herself which is quite an achievement.

More interestingly though..
    i’m not passing judgment on her sexual life
    i’m passing judgement on the way she always stuck her knife
    in my back ever since we were starting out
    suspicious from the start, i always had my doubts about you

Doesn't take an expert to see who she's talking about here. If it is indeed the person I'm thinking, she seems to really be getting a reputation for herself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lyrics for every track leaked via her website. Some of her best work yet, Happy's lyrics are phenomenal, if abit sad. They've been taken down now but some are still doing the rounds. It turns out Marina wrote everything herself which is quite an achievement.

More interestingly though..

Doesn't take an expert to see who she's talking about here. If it is indeed the person I'm thinking, she seems to really be getting a reputation for herself.

STOP TEASING AND TELL ME
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STOP TEASING AND TELL ME

Ellie Goulding.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie Goulding.

How has Ellie Goulding got anything to do with Marina?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How has Ellie Goulding got anything to do with Marina?

They both started out in the same year 2008/09 - which could be where the "starting out" lyric is from.

Marina & Ellie were familiar with each other before they hit the big time, alot of pictures and there's videos of them together. Marina was friends with Ellie's manager which is how she met her.

If we are to go by a recent quote from Ed Sheeran, Don't is about Ellie..

The track I posted lyrics from is called "Better Than That", I'm going to post the lyrics in spoiler tags, they slightly match up with what Ed is saying. I mean it's pure speculation but alot of people are pointing the finger at Ellie and I wouldn't surprised if it's true.
    You’re just another in a long line of men she screwed
    Just another in a long line of men she knew
    And yeah she did, yeah she did what she wanted to do
    Like all the boys before
    Another dream come true
    V2
    It’s a power, it’s a power, it’s a power move
    And while I’m not quite sure what she’s trying to prove
    They all say she’s got low self-esteem
    So, why is she looking like a cat who got the cream?
    PRE
    But you, you can do better than
    You can do better than that
    CHORUS
    I know you’ve been feeling sad
    I’ve got no right to be mad
    But you can do better than that
    And I know that you’re not to blame
    You just got caught in a game
    Better than that
    Better than that
    V3
    She’s the apple of everybody’s eye
    With an angel voice
    Devil in disguise
    Got a sour face like a poisoned fruit
    That the boys can taste ’til they’re out of use

V4
    And she’ll network ’til her dreams come true
    Even if it means getting into bed with you
    Everybody’s friend, does it ring a bell?
    I know a little too much but I’ll never tell

PRE
    But you, you can do better than

CHORUS
    And I know you’ve been feeling down
    You’re always out on the town
    Better than that
    Better than that

M8
    Well, I guess it’s just what humans do
    Hook up with other people until it all falls through
    And when it’s over they go out and try and heal their pain
    Hook up with another lover, do it all again
    I’m not passing judgment on her sexual life
    I’m passing judgement on the way she always stuck her knife
    In my back ever since we were starting out
    Suspicious from the start, I always had my doubts about you

But you can do better than
    CHORUS
    And I know that you’re not to blame
    You just got caught in a game
    Better than that
    Better than that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next "FROOT of the month" is a song called Happy. It's already "out there" but will be released tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    'Happy' is a pretty damn beautiful song - it'll be out official on iTunes from midnight :)
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the song, it's so beautiful and I feel like Marina is showing a more vulnerable side to her. Shame this song can't chart as it's already Top 10 in the UK, hoping it could chart in the US though as it's already Top 20 and has out peaked FROOT on US iTunes already.
  • drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Happy is simply one of the most beautiful happy/sad songs I've heard in years. Marina has so much talent. I cannot wait til she tours this album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does melancholy so well. It's not as instant as Froot but it really creeps up on you after a few listens. 2015 looks like it could be a real moment for her.

#1 Argentina
    #1 Brazil
    #1 Costa Rica
    #1 Finland
    #1 Hungary
    #1 Latvia
    #1 Paraguay
    #1 Romania
    #1 Slovenia
    #2 Poland
    #2 Sweden
    #3 Chile
    #3 Czech Republic
    #3 Israel
    #3 Portugal
    #4 Colombia
    #4 Greece
    #4 Spain
    #7 Ecuador
    #7 Ireland
    #11 Netherlands
    #12 United Kingdom
    #12 Norway
    #12 Turkey
    #13 Bolivia
    #13 Peru
    #15 Russia
    #16 United States
    #17 Canada
    #18 Switzerland
    #29 Singapore
    #30 Austria
    #31 Denmark
    #31 Mexico
    #31 New Zealand
    #33 France
    #39 Germany
    #54 Belgium
    #61 Australia
    #61 Philippines
    #61 South Africa
    #69 Italy
    #95 Hong Kong
    #156 Indonesia
    #179 Nicaragua
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy is a beautiful song. I love how it builds and builds and then by the end I'm left wanting more so I play it again. So hyped for this album!