Tablet sales down - Laptop/Desktop sales up

FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
Forum Member
I note in Apple's financial operating statement they admit iPad sales have shown another significant decline.

Most manufacturers including Apple are reporting that Laptop/Desktop sales are at last increasing again.

Could it be that all those people who claim a 'Tablet' is all the computer they will ever need are now realising they were wrong and that whilst good for surfing you need 'a proper' computer for anything vaguely productive?

Comments

• SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    You mention surfing, that's one of the few areas that tablets are OK for but only as long as you don't start needing to input much text. The other main use of "The Net" for casual users is email, and they're not much good for that (re: screen keyboard).

I would favour always an ultra-light laptop (i.e. netbook) over a tablet, but those also happen to be the most expensive class of computer! Heavy laptops always seem pointless to me - what's the point of a portable machine that isn't really portable?

Convertibles are a good idea, then you've got the best of both worlds. And a cheaper version of the same sort of thing is a tablet in a keyboard-case/wallet.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing is there are far cheaper laptops available now with acceptable performance. Especially the ones using the newer low power Intel or AMD SOCs with W8.1+Bing and those with SSDs.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I sold my tablet, I found I was using my phone more because I always have it with me and it does the same, so there was no point going to find the tablet.
    I'd much rather have a laptop for things like this (browsing the web while watching telly on my day off) and a desktop for work. As psionic said, laptops are so much cheaper there days, the cheap ones don't have the power or the screen quality of more expensive one and especially of desktops, but for the internet, word processing, watching videos and even light graphic work they're fine and certainly better than a tablet.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also people don't feel the need to upgrade tablets if they already own one as they are good at doing what they need to do.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tablet market is fairly flat (at least in the UK) as most people who want a tablet will already have one and they aren't desperate to upgrade. Manufacturers haven't been able to convince the wider market that a tablet is something that they "need".

My attitude is that a tablet is a great addition to a desktop and/or laptop but it's not a replacement.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said this would happen months ago and people kept saying it would not. Tablets are good but limited,

My brother just got himself a little laptop as his tabley will not do what he wants it to do.

It is also true that the prices of laptops also help
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    My attitude is that a tablet is a great addition to a desktop and/or laptop but it's not a replacement.

I'm with you on that. I too own a tablet, I also own a Desktop and a Laptop. I think the tablet is great for quick reference when watching TV etc. plus OK for casual web surfing.

However, that is all mine has ever been used for. I have zero date stored on it, no more than a handful of useful apps and I'm not busting a gut to replace it anytime soon.

I have always loved my Desktop and when that isn't available (wife hogging it) I will use the Laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I'm with you on that. I too own a tablet, I also own a Desktop and a Laptop. I think the tablet is great for quick reference when watching TV etc. plus OK for casual web surfing.

I also own all three (plus a work laptop and I'm about to get a work tablet too). My desktop is on its last legs and I'm in two minds whether to replace it or just plus my newer laptop into a docking station whenever I need to use a bigger screen (I've actually got a dual screen setup which is great for doing "proper" work). All my media is stored on a NAS so I don't need necessarily a desktop with a huge tower case and big hard disk. The one thing as desktop does still give you is the power per pound spent.

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 which is also starting to show its age. I'm tempted by a bigger tablet but I don't feel like paying £300-400 for a decent 10" model. I've played with the Nexus 9 and I'm underwhelmed by it and the Samsung Tab S is very nice but probably a little too high spec for what I would use it for.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised laptop/desktop sales have started increasing. Tablets will be okay for web surfing, but laptops/desktops will be needed for anything more stressful.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave my tablet away to a family member. I really cannot find a use for it anymore to be honest. I think the increase in bigger phones are almost there with smaller tablets. 5.5 inch and now even 6 inch phones not far off a 7 inch tablet. Then I have a windows laptop as well which is my go to device when I am at home and if I need to get productive, then it's PC all the way. My tablet, Nvidia Tegra note 7 was just picking up dust.

I think you will find in a few years time, more laptop/tablet hybrids instead of just the tablet form factor.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Also don't forget that allot of businesses and home users in this last year have replaced lots of unsupported XP machines.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in two minds about replacing my desktop at the end of last year - could I get away with tablet/phone? I decided...not yet. But I can't imagine I'll be buying another one.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a tablet a few years ago I think it is great when you are on the move or travelling. I have a laptop but it is not always easy to use on a plane or just to quickly check something when you are right. So I use it as a map, book reader the odd game is I have a few hours to kill waiting around.

However I don't feel the need to upgrade it their is nothing I can see the new versions will offer me over this one. I think that is true of a lot of people that most people who want the top end range IPad's have one already. I think where the market will grow is in the cheaper end of the scale.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I also own all three (plus a work laptop and I'm about to get a work tablet too). My desktop is on its last legs and I'm in two minds whether to replace it or just plus my newer laptop into a docking station whenever I need to use a bigger screen (I've actually got a dual screen setup which is great for doing "proper" work). All my media is stored on a NAS so I don't need necessarily a desktop with a huge tower case and big hard disk. The one thing as desktop does still give you is the power per pound spent.

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 which is also starting to show its age. I'm tempted by a bigger tablet but I don't feel like paying £300-400 for a decent 10" model. I've played with the Nexus 9 and I'm underwhelmed by it and the Samsung Tab S is very nice but probably a little too high spec for what I would use it for.

The latest Xperia Z 8" tablet is getting cracking reviews - waterproof like their phones, superb build quality and staggering battery life (longer than any iPad).
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I was in two minds about replacing my desktop at the end of last year - could I get away with tablet/phone? I decided...not yet. But I can't imagine I'll be buying another one.

I would gladly give up my phone/tablet/Laptop etc. but would never contemplate life without a Desktop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would gladly give up my phone/tablet/Laptop etc. but would never contemplate life without a Desktop.

At work I a perfectly happy with a laptop, docking station and 24" monitor. It means that I can talk all of my work with me to a meeting room, on a business trip or (if I really have to) home with me.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find tablets incredibly useful. I have 2 iPads and I use them everyday. For 95% of the tasks I do a tablet is fine. Over the past 2 years I've barely used my laptop. The OH however has and now the thing is on its last legs. I'm thinking of getting another one as I don't like the idea of not having a computer in the house, however I'm wondering how much usage it will get as our usage now consists of web browsing, checking emails and watching videos. These are things that our tablets do very well.

I'll most likely get one. The next question is what to get.

My current machine has an i5 processor and a 720p display. Ideally I'd like to at least match this yet at the same time I think it should be an upgrade. However I think something more powerful would be a waste as we wouldn't use it much.

I'm also thinking of getting a MacBook as we have iPads and iPhones but I'm not sure if I want to learn another OS. Also I think they are a bit over priced compared to their windows counterparts.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also thinking of getting a MacBook as we have iPads and iPhones but I'm not sure if I want to learn another OS. Also I think they are a bit over priced compared to their windows counterparts.

It didn't take much learning when I switched to a Mac back in 2004/05 for about a year. I quite liked it.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    It's such a huge change in recent years.

Now when I eventually replace my laptop I'll probably go for a desktop for the personalisation and ease of upgrading.
    For the portable part a tablet or even a phone would suffice nowadays. No longer do you need to lug around a laptop to show off holiday photos, keep em all on a tablet. Likewise, videos, and light gaming all doable on a tablet.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I suspect that it's simply a case of the market reaching a saturation point and people are treating tablets as "white goods" which won't get replaced until they get damaged or become hopelessly obsolete.

We've got 2 android tablets in our house. One is a fairly ancient old dual-core jobbie and the other is a spangly-new octa-core monster and, TBH, while the new one is obviously streets ahead of the old one, if we only had the old one we probably wouldn't see any reason to bin it and replace it.
    As long as it can still do a bit of web-paddling, run the IMDB app' so I can find out what I've seen whatsisname in before and display ebooks for a half-decent length of time, it's still earning it's keep.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    We have all 4, desktop, laptop, tablet and phones. The desktop gets used the most (by far) by me for gaming, working and browsing. Then its probably the tie between the missus on her phone (FB mainly) and on her laptop (work, browsing). The tablet gets the least amount of use and tbh we would not really miss it if it was gone.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netbooks would have ben far far better than tablets but for Intel and MS restriction meddling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It didn't take much learning when I switched to a Mac back in 2004/05 for about a year. I quite liked it.

I agree, I swap between windows, Linux and Mac, while I do not use the MAc so much as it is not mine, I have got used to it pretty quick, even the silly one button mouse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Netbooks would have ben far far better than tablets but for Intel and MS restriction meddling.

Not sure what you mean?
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note in Apple's financial operating statement they admit iPad sales have shown another significant decline.

Most manufacturers including Apple are reporting that Laptop/Desktop sales are at last increasing again.

Could it be that all those people who claim a 'Tablet' is all the computer they will ever need are now realising they were wrong and that whilst good for surfing you need 'a proper' computer for anything vaguely productive?

No more like those who want a tablet now have a tablet and the renew cycles are long on them.