Time to stop hating Ben Elton? I feel sorry for him

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And before people respond saying 'No,it's never time to stop hating Ben Elton' doesn't there come a time to show someone some mercy? It seems having a go at Ben Elton is the easiest way for comedians to get a laugh. It makes you cool if you hate Ben Elton. Perhaps even a bit morally superior. He isn't just uncool he is for some people satanic. Well does he really deserve it all? He may be annoying at times, do some rubbish stuff, sell out on his principles a bit, but how many people in showbiz can't that have been said of. Mick Jagger was the symbol of anti-establishment then became tax exile and then got a knighthood. Doesn't cause him any grief. Many well known republicans like David Hare have accepted knighthoods too. So why is Elton singled out? Are his haters really revealing something about themselves? That they're politically shallow and can't handle earnestness, that they know they're frivolous and can't stand someone who dares to be serious? What is it about the man? Perhaps it's just our general desire to endlessly mock/slate/bully others in our society and in the case of Elton his success makes him an acceptable target. He should be able to take it. I feel a bit sorry for him.

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because of him that the UK is the only country in the world that doesn't show repeats of Benny Hill.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because of him that the UK is the only country in the world that doesn't show repeats of Benny Hill.

Don't be daft.That's entirely down to programme planners, not Ben Elton.He's not that powerful.
    He was partially responsible for both The Young Ones and Blackadder, and we should thank him for that.
    I saw Alexie Sayle live last year, and he went into a long rant about his hatred of Ben Elton. He also made a crack about how he had cut the break leads on Rik Mayall's quad -bike ( it seemed funny at the time). They were both at Mayall's funeral.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope there wasn't a punch-up ;-)

Stephen Fry wrote in one of his books that he felt Alexi had been unnecessarily nasty to Ben.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh the tragedy of such a loss to our national culture and heritage.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that's supposed to be funny? The old "Ben Elton drove Benny Hill off TV and into an early grave" story is a myth.

When The Benny Hill Show was cancelled in 1989, the ITV regions showed virtually no "alternative" comedy. Benny's old and stale show was simply replaced by newer "broad" comedy such as Bobby Davro and Brian Conley.

Elton didn't even have a regular ITV show until the awful Get a Grip, over a decade after Hill's death.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member

I really, really, really hope you're being sarcastic.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree 100%. he hasn't committed a major crime, he's just faced accusations of selling out & a drop in quality of his work. he's not the first or last public figure to face such accusations.
    But the level of vitriol is totally disproportionate.
    Whatever you think of him as a person he's been involved in some of the most iconic comedy of the last 30 yrs. He deserves credit for his achievements.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member

Ugh, the most revolting comedian ever. Even as a teen he made my skin crawl. Dirty old man leching after young women, and so UNfunny. Every joke had been heard a thousand times before. Thank goodness we don't have to put up with that sexist, leering old man on our screens any more!
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After The Wright Way..
    No
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Elton pretty much became all that he used to mercilessly mock - very establishment, very 'old school'. His most recent sitcom would have been vaguely funny 20 years ago - maybe - but in today's climate was about as relevant and amusing as Terry and June.

But that's what happens when you get older. Your tastes and interests change. He is now very successful in the theatre and as a novelist, and I for one am pleased he's not the same shouty 'ooh, bit of politics there' upstart he once was. Very few people can carry that on indefinitely, kudos to him for not embarrassing himself by trying.

And Alexei Sayle probably hates him for being talented, something Mr Sayle can lay only the thinnest claim to...
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Alexei Sayle probably hates him for being talented, something Mr Sayle can lay only the thinnest claim to...

Have always had a soft spot for Alexi. Does anyone remember his 1990 BBC TV series, which had great moments? Also, he cameoed on Dr Who in 1985, as an interplanetary Brummie DJ, in a Daleks story.

A great moment from Alexi below.

Silly Noises
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have always had a soft spot for Alexi. Does anyone remember his 1990 BBC TV series, which had great moments? Also, he cameoed on Dr Who in 1985, as an interplanetary Brummie DJ, in a Daleks story.

Silly Noises
    Yes, I like him too. He certainly IS talented, and he comes across as a nice guy as well. Maybe with Rik dying he will patch things up with Ben.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope there wasn't a punch-up ;-)

Stephen Fry wrote in one of his books that he felt Alexi had been unnecessarily nasty to Ben.

Why, what happened?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Ben Elton pretty much became all that he used to mercilessly mock - very establishment, very 'old school'. His most recent sitcom would have been vaguely funny 20 years ago - maybe - but in today's climate was about as relevant and amusing as Terry and June.

But that's what happens when you get older. Your tastes and interests change. He is now very successful in the theatre and as a novelist, and I for one am pleased he's not the same shouty 'ooh, bit of politics there' upstart he once was. Very few people can carry that on indefinitely, kudos to him for not embarrassing himself by trying.

And Alexei Sayle probably hates him for being talented, something Mr Sayle can lay only the thinnest claim to...

Stewart Lee has said Elton never was the lefty shouty bloke he appeared, he was simply projecting an image to appeal to certain demographics, in exactly the same way Clarkson or Chubby Brown do on the other side; maybe that's the reason some former fans are a bit sniffy about him now.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Silly Noises
    That performance inspired virtually all the songs from the final two decades of Michael Jackson's career.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Silly Noises

Stuff. Great series. Got a lot of time for Mr Sayle.

Think 'hate' is a strong word. Never met the bloke! Elton was an integral part of The Young Ones and Blackadder, so respect just for that. And I've got a soft spot for The Thin Blue Line. David Hague's character in particular.

Edit. Remembered his 'Bennie Elton' in Harry Enfield and Chums. Very funny, so he can clearly rip the pee out of himself!
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who was involved in this merits praise imho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Will_Rock_You_%28musical%29
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuff. Great series. Got a lot of time for Mr Sayle.

Think 'hate' is a strong word. Never met the bloke! Elton was an integral part of The Young Ones and Blackadder, so respect just for that. And I've got a soft spot for The Thin Blue Line. David Hague's character in particular.

Edit. Remembered his 'Bennie Elton' in Harry Enfield and Chums. Very funny, so he can clearly rip the pee out of himself!

Thanks...was trying to remember where I saw that.
    I don't mind Ben Elton at all. Found his persona arrogant and irritating in his earlier years but he grew on me. Enjoy some of his stuff, too. Loved 'The Thin Blue Line'.

I'm the opposite to most in here in that I can't stand Alexi Sayle, but each to their own :).
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think hate is a strong word, I just never found him funny as a stand up. He came across very up himself and a bit of a dick and I've never found that funny in any comedian.

Saying that I did love the young ones and blackadder. Perhaps he is better off screen as a writer than on.

Still don't find him funny though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I was unaware of the hatred towards him, though I can now see why. I personally don't have a problem with him. But then again I didn't know about the feud between Rik Mayall and Stephen Fry until last week
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think Benny Hill was hilarious when I was about 14. I thought Ben Elton was funny as well, but whenever I see a repeat of his early stuff I really can't think why, unless it was his viciousness towards Thatcher.

I remember finding The Unofficial Alexei Sayle Live Bootleg on VHS video in a local rental store. It included a two minute routine consisting almost entirely of swearing of the kind that would make it impossible to broadcast on television. I also liked his comment that when people from South Kensington are drowning, all their past furniture flashes before their eyes.

Edit: I found it on YouTube entitled Alexei Sayle's Pirate Video (Parts 1 to 6), although it's obviously untrue what the person who uploaded it said about there only ever having been one copy.
    It is profoundly and staggeringly obscene, but extremely funny. The quality is very poor, but I thought good enough to be worth watching.

The sweary routine begins at 1:55 in Part 6. (Advisory note: swearing isn't clever, it isn't funny and it demeans the person who uses it) Enjoy :D
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Not until it becomes a hangable offence to stage a production of We Will Rock You.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that anybody wastes their time hating Ben Elton.
    Indeed I can't believe that anybody even thinks about him at all here in 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Well, his former writing partner has just died, which could be a reason to think about him.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »

Oh people do! (hate him that is).
    one of his main problems is when the press attacked him he was too defensive & timidbin his response.
    That coupled with his comedy becoming increasingly "safe" & MOR has really damaged his reputation.
    Theorethically he'd have LOADS of source material with modern politicians & corporatism but you only see that in his books these days, never in any stand up or sitcom he might do.