Options

Racism Watch: BBUS just can't help themselves

KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
Forum Member
They've done it again--cast another monster. I sincerely believe (since a simple Private Detective could find stuff like this) they ALLOW it to happen simply to get press/attention.

Disgusting. This is both racist AND homophobic.

http://www.onlinebigbrother.com/big-brother-16-caleb-reynolds-racist-homophobic-comments-found-on-instagram/?utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=big-brother-16-caleb-reynolds-racist-homophobic-comments-found-on-instagram

Comments

• Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just posted this in the other thread.

It's astounding CBS could miss this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Redmond wrote: »
    Just posted this in the other thread.

It's astounding CBS could miss this!

Or Endemol.

Truth is, like I say, I bet they couldn't have. After last year there's no way every contestant isn't getting a full workup by a Private Investigative squad. It makes me think CBS and Endemol know exactly what they're doing. They'll vilify this guy (not that he doesn't seem to fully deserve it) and milk it specifically to gain viewers and press. They'll play dumb about how he got cast and / or use the "social experiment with different types' excuse to dodge why he was cast. Rather than do what they SHOULD have always done--NOT CAST RACISTS AND HOMOPHOBES.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Endemol are that involved in casting.

Robyn Kass is in charge of casting, although she has done a great job with BBCAN, but apparently CBS are a lot more involved in the BBUS casting and force certain decisions.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    It's all kicking off on twitter.. People are going crazy. He is so hated already, people are targeting his family and sending them threats.

Judd from last year has just tweeted "@JUDDNATION: Leave BB houseguest families the **** alone. The ****ing games not even started yet and it is just a game. #BB16"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Endemol are that involved in casting.

Robyn Kass is in charge of casting, although she has done a great job with BBCAN, but apparently CBS are a lot more involved in the BBUS casting and force certain decisions.

Aren't Allison Grodner and Rich Meehan Endemol US employees though? How's that work? The usual Google Fu isn't finding the answers.

BTW interesting trivia from IMBD. I never knew before now that John De Mol actually gets WRITING CREDIT for 165 BBUS episodes, from 2000 to 2012. What's the deal with THAT? It must be some union rules about how the show creator credit is applied, because I can't imagine him having any day to day input.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    It's all kicking off on twitter.. People are going crazy. He is so hated already, people are targeting his family and sending them threats.

Judd from last year has just tweeted "@JUDDNATION: Leave BB houseguest families the **** alone. The ****ing games not even started yet and it is just a game. #BB16"
    Judd may be right that family shouldn't be involved, then again he really shouldn't be sticking his nose into this at all. It can so easily backfire on him if this yahoo starts acting up and people take what Judd said as an endorsement.

The tweets SHOULD be viscous... but aimed at CBS, Grodner, and Endemol. Heck, even to a degree Julie Chen, who tacitly endorses all of this stuff on many occasions. I'm serious. There's no way background checks could have missed this. Which means they WANTED it to happen.
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt say Julie Chen, she has no say she just shows up and looks pretty in a sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt say Julie Chen, she has no say she just shows up and looks pretty in a sense.
    Her husband runs the entire network. A mere word from her can and does get anything done (or undone) she wants.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh, the last thing this series needed was for this to all kick off again. I think CBS would be best served by pulling him from the cast immediately - have the houseguests even entered yet? I knew it was the Saturday in the past...

I really fear for the show if this douche says a lot of crap in the house. Its already going to be bad enough with the keyboard warriors desperately misreporting everything this cast says - with a genuine ******** in the house it's only going to multiplied x2000.

It's not right that his family are taking shit for him though. I really don't like it when that happens, especially when the family haven't even been publically identified.
  • Options
    freddieaxlfreddieaxl Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of agree that they did this on purpose...

Ratings actually rose because of the controversy last year, so I'm guessing they might've tried it again, with the inclusion of Frankie as a failsafe if people get angry.

Disgusting things he said though. In NO WAY is this an "overreaction". Calling someone a "muslim monkey" is pure, pure racism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I hope they kick him out pre-season. I don't want this in the show this year.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    freddieaxl wrote: »
    I kind of agree that they did this on purpose...

Ratings actually rose because of the controversy last year, so I'm guessing they might've tried it again, with the inclusion of Frankie as a failsafe if people get angry.

Disgusting things he said though. In NO WAY is this an "overreaction". Calling someone a "muslim monkey" is pure, pure racism.

He also derided people by saying they're "****".
  • Options
    Shine_OnShine_On Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't seem homophobic or racist on the feeds, at all. He seems a bit obsessive and a bit dim, and maybe he also has ptsd but I don't think there's a lot of hate there. He's sleeping with a gay lad, he's best buddies with the big fella and he's stalking the bi-racial girl...
  • Options
    Flight815-23DFlight815-23D Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    2 years ago, and he's not that old. What he was spouting was word for word conservative Christian rhetoric straight from facebook, but that doesn't mean he still thinks or feels that way. It will be interesting to see if he actually behaves that way, or if he's going to be forever tarnished by something he said years ago when the Tea Party propaganda machine was in full swing.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, CBS fave Jeff is a known homophobe so CBS don't really care, last season the only reason they got uppity was it was

A. rampant and almost a daily occurance
    and
    B. The first racist comments were anti-Asian and Julie is Asian.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like this cast are doing a much better job of not offending anyone on the feeds so far. I'm very glad, I really feared the worst when that Caleb thing started up but he's not really doing anthing wrong in the house at least.
  • Options
    rivetheadrivethead Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Caleb on the feeds and the guy from 2 years ago seem to be completely different people. Maybe since he started the whole modeling thing his horizons have expanded a bit. I mean, I don't think a guy who posted stuff like that would be chasing Amber around and asking Frankie to sleep with him!

Still, maybe we haven't seen the real him yet, but for the moment he seems pretty decent.
  • Options
    scotslassiescotslassie Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a bit of name calling is understandable when you're angry about babies being killed. Why are people angry about everything else but the poor baby?

Liking Caleb so far.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Anyone who has watched the feeds i'm sure is aware that Caleb is very weird, he seems to be obsessed with Amber and was even wearing her dress around his neck for much of yesterday. I don't know why BBUSA attracts these types people, he's turning into a male GinaMarie. Also, any conversation with him is a monologue which is incredibly annoying. But I have to say I haven't observed a hint of racism or homophobia.

About the homophobia though... i'm not sure if that was an attempt to keep a little secret.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the betting Amber is edited as leading Caleb on? It would be typical of CBS.
  • Options
    3rd World Disco3rd World Disco Posts: 22,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the betting Amber is edited as leading Caleb on? It would be typical of CBS.

This was my first thought too.

As you say, it wouldn't be out of character for the BBUS production team but we'll see.