BBC2 New Look Afternoon schedules from Mon 7th October

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Even 1989 some of these shows were old C&L started in 82 and finished in 88, Are You finished in 85 and god knows what year Classic Mastermind will be from.

Mastermind started in 1972 with Magnus so any year from then I suppose......

Wouldn't mind seeing Kojak again, surely it can't be that expensive

And (minority plea here) a good old fashioned Western like High Chaparral or The Virginian
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

And (minority plea here) a good old fashioned Western like High Chaparral or The Virginian

C&L is surprising as the other shows are BBC so don't cost anything but C&L they will have had to buy rights and rights of shows with an end cost more than shows still running.

It's a shock Only Fools hasn't crept on again lol.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kojak is on ITV4 in the afternoons 2.45 to 3.50 and in HD if you have HD Sky or Freeview :)

High Chaparral is shown on TCM fairly regularly if you have Sky.

Good to hear about Cagney & Lacey, used to love watching that, so will be recording that.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    Kojak is on ITV4 in the afternoons 2.45 to 3.50 and in HD if you have HD Sky or Freeview :)

High Chaparral is shown on TCM fairly regularly if you have Sky.

Good to hear about Cagney & Lacey, used to love watching that, so will be recording that.

Thanks, wasn't aware of that, will tune in. TCM seems to be wall-to-wall Gunsmoke.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 isn't all that different. Currently showing 5 year old Flog-its! Pathetic BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, wasn't aware of that, will tune in. TCM seems to be wall-to-wall Gunsmoke.

No problem, I have to record them for my Western loving husband so I tend to keep an eye on what's on TCM. Bonanza turns up on there a lot as well. :)

Kojak I record for myself, fond memories of watching them when I was younger. The quality of picture is quite good and the stories hold up well. Hoping it will be the same for Cagney & Lacey as along with Hill Street Blues, they were favourites of mine back in the day.
  • Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I think there needs to be a referendum on the licence fee.

Yes it has been frozen but surely the BBC could enforce salary caps like most organisations have. That way money can be saved and spent properly.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Don't start that in here, thanks. Plenty of other threads to bring that subject up in.
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    I'd rather they showed the original episodes of Hawaii Five-O
    IIRC one of the CBS.... channels has that one. (Probably CBS Action.)

Might have to set my Tivo for C&L :D
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TIVO's are going to crash as everyone series' links Cagney & Lacey :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And (whispers 'cause I know it's not popular on the Broadcasting forum) Sky+ boxes as well!
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    C&L is surprising as the other shows are BBC so don't cost anything but C&L they will have had to buy rights and rights of shows with an end cost more than shows still running.

There'd be rights costs for the third party shows as well. Indeed, I suspect C&L was very cheap - it's probably tied up in an international sales syndication rights package.

Yes it has been frozen but surely the BBC could enforce salary caps like most organisations have. That way money can be saved and spent properly.

What the hell are you talking about? How do "most" organisations have salary caps? The BBC's entire spend on staff isn't even a rounding error in it's budget.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I quite liked them showing Attenborough documentaries in thw afternoon, shame they couldn't keep doing that as well as these other repeats, it's looking better than it did in the past when it was just directionless in the afternoon, it now offers quite good general entertainment in the daytime.
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoestring series 2 can be found easily enough.

Of course they can. However the more recent UK Drama/Alibi channel broadcasts of 'Shoestring' (which you are, no doubt, referring to) have anything up to about 8 minutes removed from some Series 2 episodes. I hate programmes uncut to any degree, but removing that amount of footage affects the viewer’s ability to follow the storyline properly.

I’m referring to the Series 2 episodes as they were originally transmitted, without any edits made. The last time ‘Shoestring’ was broadcast in uncut form was back in the early ‘90s, on UK Gold and SuperChannel.

Do you have copies of the UK Gold or SuperChannel uncut broadcasts of 'Shoestring' Series 2? I assume not.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With ATP tennis Finals and UK Snooker Championship in October how long will this schedule last?

Probably for as long as there is no live sport to show.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hey will have to suffer the backlash of showing an afternoon of 80's shows though the licence fee haters will be out in force.

See post 21.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    Kojak is on ITV4 in the afternoons 2.45 to 3.50 and in HD if you have HD Sky or Freeview...
    HD on Freeview? :confused:
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet on screen/radio talent is lured away by better money.

So it seems BBC don't pay highest deals.
    Yes in comparison to what many of us earn it is still a lot of money, but what sort of talent do you want the BBC to have?

20 year old's on the Today programme?
    18 year old on Radio 2 trying to get down with the 55 year olds?

The BBC should not go crazy bidding for talent. but has to accept the market rates, and try to keep talent happy even if it at the lower rates.

If you don't think this is correct, check BT Sport they have got a lot of talent that last year was on BBC Sport.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First I support the Licence Fee.

But to be honest I can see with the views here becoming common outside the Digital Soy World many people not supporting a Licence Fee rise in 2015.
    The repeats, less sport etc (though the FA Cup might make it better for the public view of the BBC). But I still wonder if the BBC will have to shut down channels after 2015, especially if fee is frozen or only has a fractional increase.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

Oh yes they do!!!
    Forum Member
    Am I back in 1989?

Yes C and L haven't been shown for ages, but the rest - wtf?!?!?!?!

Is there a REAL money crisis at the BBC? Time the licence fee was scrapped ASAP.

In fact, scrapping the lience fee would only fuel the problem you've spotted, not eliminate it.

And the BBC are abiing by the terms of the Royal Charter, so the licence fee remains intact.
    Forum Member

. . . and the quality employees that people expect of the BBC will bugger off to higher salaries at commercial companies.

Leading to a downgrade of quality and nutters calling for the axe of the TVL.
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    HD on Freeview? :confused:

Yes, Freeview HD.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Yes, Freeview HD.
    How long has ITV4 HD been on freeview?
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Yes, Freeview HD.

You need to read Kat1966's post #29 more carefully, to understand Zenith's reply:
    "Kojak is on ITV4 in the afternoons 2.45 to 3.50 and in HD if you have HD Sky or Freeview :)"

itv4 HD is not available on Freeview HD.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked them showing Attenborough documentaries in thw afternoon, shame they couldn't keep doing that as well as these other repeats, it's looking better than it did in the past when it was just directionless in the afternoon, it now offers quite good general entertainment in the daytime.

I totally agree, I loved all the Attenborough series, and other wildlife documentaries, every afternoon on BBC2. Very educational aswell as great to watch. I hope they find some more in the archives to broadcast very soon, as I'm sure they're a ratings winner. :cool:

It is always annoying though when they cancel the whole schedule for the Party Conference Leader's speech, when that's already being shown on the BBC News Channel and Sky News, both of which are on Freeview, so everyone has access if they wish to view it, or even listen to it on radio.