Kate Bush - Before The Dawn

Comments

• PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's horses for courses really. I can sing along to a 2 minute ditty along with everyone else but sometimes an artist comes along who hits you in the stomach and for me Kate is that artist and for me personally her lyrics are very important. I haven't necessarily liked every single word she has ever written but the lyrical content of most of her songs have become a very integral part of my love for her.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    How can someone buy Kate's albums and not immerse themselves in her lyrics and stories? It's really missing the point of Kate and her music😯
    How can they misspell Babooshka?!!? :D

I'm with you .. I haven't liked everything she's done but I've adored 99.9% of it and more than that .. her music is deep inside my soul in a way that nobody else's is .. I don't think I fully realised this until I saw her. I don't know how much I forked out for her albums but I massively underpaid.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music and song work on different levels and it is quite fair to say that some people don't fully appreciate the depth of the works they are listening to but some people do.

Some people just like Beethoven's String Quartet No. 14, others like it and appreciate how it references earlier works and has a religious theme.

Some people think Van Morrison's "Summertime in England' is just the 'B' side of the 'Cry for Home' 12" but others appreciate it is essentially a poem about Wordsworth and Coleridge visiting the Lake District and that Van uses the literary idea of 'Stream of consciousness' in its delivery.

Some people get 'Babooshka', some people don't.

People don't need to know these things to love or hate music but some people do appreciate the deeper levels of meaning.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Music and song work on different levels and it is quite fair to say that some people don't fully appreciate the depth of the works they are listening to but some people do.

Some people just like Beethoven's String Quartet No. 14, others like it and appreciate how it references earlier works and has a religious theme.

Some people think Van Morrison's "Summertime in England' is just the 'B' side of the 'Cry for Home' 12" but others appreciate it is essentially a poem about Wordsworth and Coleridge visiting the Lake District and that Van uses the literary idea of 'Stream of consciousness' in its delivery.

Some people get 'Babooshka', some people don't.

People don't need to know these things to love or hate music but some people do appreciate the deeper levels of meaning.

That's a fair point.

However, far from being one of those songs that sounds like a standard boy-meets-girl love song that actually turns out to be about the writer nearly dying after shooting a dodgy batch of heroin in a Los Angeles hotel room, the lyrics for Babooshka read more like a plot synopsis.

I would say that generally Kate's lyrics are much more narrative than symbolic and it doesn't take a great deal of effort to decipher the meanings compared with other artists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a fair point.

However, far from being one of those songs that sounds like a standard boy-meets-girl love song that actually turns out to be about the writer nearly dying after shooting a dodgy batch of heroin in a Los Angeles hotel room, the lyrics for Babooshka read more like a plot synopsis.

I would say that generally Kate's lyrics are much more narrative than symbolic and it doesn't take a great deal of effort to decipher the meanings compared with other artists.

I wouldn't disagree. I don't have all her works but what I have is mainly narrative with the odd symbolic reference.

I listen to a lot of Springsteen who is a great story teller as well as a great painter of pictures with words. And I like U2 but they can be a bit metaphysical at times.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate has left a really lovely message on her website, go and see!

I must say I'm disappointed BTD merchandise still isn't for sale online. Apparently it's all ready to go via Firebrand but hasn't been given the final okay yet. The T-Shirt I bought at the show I went too is too small and I depserately want to get a replacement in the correct size so I can wear it.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    ...and it's only really a minority who pay much attention to the actual lyrics, nevermind going further to the meaning of the lyrics.

What a ludicrous thing to say. I mean, come on, are you trolling, or simply someone with an odd bod POV? Pretty much EVERYONE who likes KB enjoys the lyrics, because that is half the song. DOH!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ludicrous thing to say. I mean, come on, are you trolling, or simply someone with an odd bod POV? Pretty much EVERYONE who likes KB enjoys the lyrics, because that is half the song. DOH!

what's ludicrous about saying.... "simple. probably most people buy music and listen to it as they like the sound of it, and it's only really a minority who pay much attention to the actual lyrics, nevermind going further to the meaning of the lyrics. loads of people will sit and sing songs they know well without even realising what on earth they are actually saying. how many people know everybody hurts is a song about suicide for example?"

saying "Pretty much EVERYONE who likes KB enjoys the lyrics, because that is half the song" is more of a ludicrous statement, as you have no stats or data to back this up.

I'm talking about music in general, whereas you omitted the start of that section of text to make it sound like I was talking about one artist in general. I stand by what I say, most people probably don't pay much attention to lyrics in music, in the comment I made two weeks ago
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »

I must say I'm disappointed BTD merchandise still isn't for sale online. Apparently it's all ready to go via Firebrand but hasn't been given the final okay yet. The T-Shirt I bought at the show I went too is too small and I depserately want to get a replacement in the correct size so I can wear it.
    Yes .. it's a beautiful message. I'm so glad she enjoyed it and felt all the love .. that must be positive news going forward :) I couldn't read it for ages yesterday .. her site crashed because of heavy traffic.

Lord! I wish they'd hurry up and get the merchandise online too .. it must be terribly frustrating for those that couldn't attend the shows. I wish we had news of the DVD release as well .. can't wait to see it all up close on my TV. I'm going to sit (clutching my confetti) with my nose pressed against the screen :D Please Kate .. or whoever .. give the final okays :D
  • Abby_GaleAbby_Gale Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    So, how was the show?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's nice to know that what we were feeling in the audience is what she was feeling on the stage. I don't think I'll ever have a connection with a performing artist like that ever again. I know people will think I'm a bit odd for saying that but stood on the steps waving goodbye to her at the end of cloudbusting.. I don't think I'll ever top that connection.

Yep I agree. Her songs are the lyrics imho. That's what makes her unique. She is telling a story in her songs and she has a gift of being able to make it work. I can't imagine anyone listening to Wuthering Heights and not thinking about the characters involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    what's ludicrous about saying.... "simple. probably most people buy music and listen to it as they like the sound of it, and it's only really a minority who pay much attention to the actual lyrics, nevermind going further to the meaning of the lyrics. loads of people will sit and sing songs they know well without even realising what on earth they are actually saying. how many people know everybody hurts is a song about suicide for example?"

saying "Pretty much EVERYONE who likes KB enjoys the lyrics, because that is half the song" is more of a ludicrous statement, as you have no stats or data to back this up.

I'm talking about music in general, whereas you omitted the start of that section of text to make it sound like I was talking about one artist in general. I stand by what I say, most people probably don't pay much attention to lyrics in music, in the comment I made two weeks ago[/QUOTE

I have a friend who never cares about lyrics but, even though she is my friend, she's not what you'd call one of life's thinkers and that's ok. To her music is to get up and dance to and have a good time. For me my favourite music has always been music where the lyrics connect with me or I just enjoy the words written. It seems odd to think that for you or others there is no meaningful difference between 'Little light shining, little light guide them to me' and 'Agadoo ooh ooh push pineapple shake a tree' 😦
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a friend who never cares about lyrics but, even though she is my friend, she's not what you'd call one of life's thinkers and that's ok. To her music is to get up and dance to and have a good time. For me my favourite music has always been music where the lyrics connect with me or I just enjoy the words written. It seems odd to think that for you or others there is no meaningful difference between 'Little light shining, little light guide them to me' and 'Agadoo ooh ooh push pineapple shake a tree' 😦

It is always dangerous to generalise but that doesn't seem to stop some.
    Yes, some people just like to dance to good time music. Much dance music doesn't even have lyrics, so that's not unexpected.

I used to think much rock and punk music was so loud it was hard to hear the lyrics and that music almost became 'impressionistic'. It was often meant to be loud and angry so the lyrics only had to give the impression of being angry or violent. That's why the 'death growl' in modern metal music really works.

But since pop music and art linked up with The Beatles, Dylan and The Velvet Underground, it has been worth listening to the songs in their fullness. I've been listening to both since I can remember.

Dylan's 'Times they are a-changing', 'Hard Rain', Lou Reed's 'Walk on the Wild side' cry out for you to listen to the words. They are poetic and profound.

Coming back to our Kate. The first song that really grabbed and converted me was 'Breathing', the words and the music reinforce each other and you are drawn into the narrative. Kate is a magical writer and artist who links together music, words and images better than most.

'Breathing,
    Breathing my mother in,
    Breathing my beloved in,
    Breathing,
    Breathing her nicotine,
    Breathing,
    Breathing the fall-out in,
    Out in, out in, out in, out in
    .'
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, Before the Dawn is a good six weeks ago for me...

...and I still say it's not just the best show I've ever seen... it is the best show I will ever see in my life...

I'mean...show...****in' like ****....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Web store has been updated if you wish you'd bought something on the night.. but is currently being hammered.

Quick question.. were the show men's t-shirts loose fit or the tighter fit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Web store has been updated if you wish you'd bought something on the night.. but is currently being hammered.

Quick question.. were the show men's t-shirts loose fit or the tighter fit?
    Yes .. I couldn't get on it for ages .. only had success today. Not sure about the t-shirts .. I don't think they're tight fit but not sure they're loose either (helpful aye? :D )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Yes .. I couldn't get on it for ages .. only had success today. Not sure about the t-shirts .. I don't think they're tight fit but not sure they're loose either (helpful aye? :D )

I went with medium. :) And yes the site was very slow for me too. Got there eventually. Poster and t-shirt ordered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went with medium. :) And yes the site was very slow for me too. Got there eventually. Poster and t-shirt ordered.
    Exciting .. hope you like it :) I got one when I was there but am tempted by the mug. I don't need another mug .. but I need THIS mug :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is not to do with Before the Dawn but I've just seen that Alison Hammond is dancing an American Smooth to Kate's Wuthering Heights on this Saturday's Strictly!😮 I wonder how the band will sound😬
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so pleased the BTD merchandise is finally for sale online. I can, at last, replace the T-Shirt I bought at my show and get things I couldn't get at the time, like the rescue tin, a poster, and the hoodie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    It is always dangerous to generalise

Dangerous? Good lord. We're talking about music, not politics!
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure that if she really wanted to sing Wuthering Heights she would have found a way to do it. Trouble is many artitstes never want to sing the songs that made them famous.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    I know this is not to do with Before the Dawn but I've just seen that Alison Hammond is dancing an American Smooth to Kate's Wuthering Heights on this Saturday's Strictly!�� I wonder how the band will sound��

It can only be dreadful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dangerous? Good lord. We're talking about music, not politics!

The subject was how many people actually listen/understand the lyrics of songs.
    The danger is that people generalise from their own experience,

Quoting a sentence in isolation like that removes context and could mean anything,

Also you may suggest it is just music. But often that music has a bit of politics in it.
    Some of the songs in that post being examples.
    Is a song about the dangers of nuclear war not in some way political?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is not to do with Before the Dawn but I've just seen that Alison Hammond is dancing an American Smooth to Kate's Wuthering Heights on this Saturday's Strictly!😮 I wonder how the band will sound😬
    Why couldn't it be anyone other than Alison (though .. hang on .. not Scott or Judy :D ) .. she's not a graceful mover. I can't see the band coping .. they can't cope with Queen songs. Will hate it I'm sure :D