The Great British Bake Off 2015 - Series 6

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see more women, rather than the 50/50 mix.............women ( and I am one, so speak from experience :D ) are edgier and more surreptitiously bitchy and therefore more entertaining.....and.........I know it's a baking programme, ( but it's reality tv too :D )

But I think many GBBO-watchers will agree with me on this, I don't want it to go down the reality TV route of bitchiness, trumped up drama etc. the joy of Baked Off is that it is so genteel and is more about the bakes than the out & out media personalities.

And no, I don't accept that it is reality TV - it's a baking competition.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    As long as she's not the new Ruby I don't mind.

Are people still moaning about her!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But I think many GBBO-watchers will agree with me on this, I don't want it to go down the reality TV route of bitchiness, trumped up drama etc. the joy of Baked Off is that it is so genteel and is more about the bakes than the out & out media personalities.

Agreed, I am surprised Digital Spy have not decided that University Challenge is a Reality TV programme!

They must get many very good bakers applying so then will start trying to choose a mixture, if they did not then every series might end up with twelve members of the WI who were all very good bakers which would make it rather boring.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see more women, rather than the 50/50 mix.............women ( and I am one, so speak from experience :D ) are edgier and more surreptitiously bitchy and therefore more entertaining.....and.........I know it's a baking programme, ( but it's reality tv too :D )

They've so far resisted making it like that, which is probably a good thing.
    Bake Off has always been more about camaraderie and nice manners.

Any number of reality programmes encourage and edit towards 'conflict' and waspishness so it's nice to have a change.
    lundavra wrote: »
    Are people still moaning about her!
    :D she very nearly spoiled the 2013 one for me.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting what Mary says. They had a colder start. I wonder why that is. Maybe they're more nervous or more determined. Hopefully we'll find out and I hope by the end they get on really well and support each other.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Interesting what Mary says. They had a colder start. I wonder why that is. Maybe they're more nervous or more determined. Hopefully we'll find out and I hope by the end they get on really well and support each other.

Perhaps she was referring to the weather?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Distinctly unattractive lot methinks.

Who cares what they look this? This is a baking competition, not a Miss World/Mr Universe contest
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on. I would be extremely disappointed if they ever changed the format in order to introduce some fake dramas

If you want bitchiness etc there are plenty of shows that provide that. Leave GBBO as it is
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see more women, rather than the 50/50 mix
    Sexist! (ducks).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on. I would be extremely disappointed if they ever changed the format in order to introduce some fake dramas
    If you want bitchiness etc there are plenty of shows that provide that. Leave GBBO as it is
    This. The minute they introduce 'voting people off', I'm out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »

I agree. I don't know why we're worrying this year though as it's the second year on BBC One.

I wouldn't mind a vote in the audience on an Extra Slice to see if they agreed with the Star Baker and the eliminee but that's it (although all original decisions would obviously stand).
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. The charm of programmes like this (including Masterchef and Great British Sewing Bee) is that the reality comes from talented, (fairly) ordinary people realising their homegrown talent isn't quite enough to prevent them drifting up a certain creek without a certain tool (ahem!). There really is no need during this sort of programme to shoehorn in "characters" and "individuals" to manufacture drama.

Drama manufactures itself. At least as much drama this sort of programme needs.
    jonbwfc wrote: »

I agree. I'm also "out" if they start trying to make it Jeremy Kyle with aprons. I don't want confrontation. I don't want argument. I want to see people trying to bake as well as they can. From what I've seen, this can still drive them to betrayal and intrigue.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly the show's pretty well set in a pattern at this point, and given that it appeals to an audience that probably values tradition and consistency I don't see them throwing in vote-offs and Diary Rooms any time soon. The only drama-producer I can see them feasibly introducing would be a team challenge, which is de rigeur in cooking competitions when they want people to get snippish.

I do reject though the idea that more women would automatically make the competition "bitchy". The latter stages of Series 2 were entirely female and bar some audience projection onto Holly just because she was a bit of a perfectionist it wasn't bitchy at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone going to the Extra Slice recording tomorrow?
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so looking forward to Wednesday.

The highlight of my week!
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    As long as she's not the new Ruby I don't mind.

I hope there aren't any incidents where contestants like Diana get vilified. I couldn't care less about Ruby. She's since confirmed what a nasty piece of work she is through and through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I hope there aren't any incidents where contestants like Diana get vilified. I couldn't care less about Ruby. She's since confirmed what a nasty piece of work she is through and through.

How? I have never seen anything to suggest that she was or is a nasty piece of work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    I am so looking forward to Wednesday.

The highlight of my week!

So excited!! I apologise in advance for not being able to remember many names until about the quarter final.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I am excited! Such a good program. And what makes people think Rubys a nasty piece of work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How? I have never seen anything to suggest that she was or is a nasty piece of work.

I have. She's posted some vicious tweets.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/02/ruby-tandoh-bake-off-comes-out-twitter_n_6992436.html
    p.s. for those who thought I fancied Paul Hollywood or that I'd ever bang him to get ahead - JOKE'S ON YOU, YOU MASSIVE SHITTING MISOGYNISTS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I have. She's posted some vicious tweets.

I think one person in particular was targeting her with some really nasty Tweets and she lost her temper. Might have been better if she had just kept quiet but she didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one person in particular was targeting her with some really nasty Tweets and she lost her temper. Might have been better if she had just kept quiet but she didn't.
    No, it's more than that. I was on her side in the show but I ended up unfollowing her on twitter as a lot of the stuff she was posting was quite.. antagonistic and quite bitter sounding about a lot of things. She also did came across as rather prejudiced. This was over a year after the series she was on was done and we were well into the next series with a new group, so the limelight wasn't at all still on her.

She wasn't the monster a lot of people made her out to be when she was on GBBO, but in the cold light of day she turned out to be.. a bit of a flawed character I think. we're all flawed of course but... well, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They were nowhere near as nasty as Ruby's tweets and then when she came out out she tweeted and called people - massive shitting misogynists. Hardly the actions of a pleasant person. And she was wrong. No one ever said she fancied Paul Hollywood. She isn't very nice.

Anyway, let's hope this year's lot are a good bunch. :)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never Followed a whole series of this only watched tiny snippets.

One of this years contestants is already a baker and can't remember a time when she wasn't making cakes. She is from a family of professional bakers and does a food blog.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this was for amateur bakers.

I think it makes for a better show when contestants are of a similar level whether they're bakers, sewers, artists whatever.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3184317/Piece-cake-Bake-girl-star-cook-19-s-taste-do.html