Options

BDO Vs PDC - Which is the better?

124»

Comments

• Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the BDC is aka Hearn Worldwide so with him in charge they all head there like sheep

Then you have John "too much makeup" McDonald who is on Hearn's payroll admitidly he isnt as embarassing as Martin "Leeeeetts Plaaaaayyyyy Daaaaaaarts" Fitzmaurice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    So we have just had the 2011 World Championships

Which was better - PDC or BDO?

What where the averages like for each championship?

Have to say, I didn't watch the PDC Championship but as usual I watched the BDO Championship as am a fan of Martin Adams. Would love to see him in the Grand Slam or even a special one off match against Lewis but I doubt that will ever happen.
  • Options
    bscbabscba Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    The BDO frequently seems to lag about 10 points behind the PDC when it comes to world championship averages.

Martin Adams is a good steady player but he would not be capable of shining in the Premier League. If he were to be invited as an eighth player with a wild card I'd put money on him finishing bottom of the table.

The darts world, like boxing, could do with unifying titles, although that's not going to happen in the foreseeable.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    My personal opinion is that apart from the PDC prelim/first round it was far superior in quality.
    I realise averages aren't everything but surely it's better quality darts if the averages are 95-100 instead of 85-90.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should it be unified? That way their will only be 1 £100,000 winner not 2, BBC will probably lose out to Sky so many more wont watch, and Wolfie would have been be £200,000 worse off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Why should it be unified? That way their will only be 1 £100,000 winner not 2, BBC will probably lose out to Sky so many more wont watch, and Wolfie would have been be £200,000 worse off.
    For the past two years the PDC World Champion has recieved £200,000 and the runner up £100,000 prize money.
  • Options
    andy-iandy-i Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that apart from the PDC prelim/first round it was far superior in quality.
    I realise averages aren't everything but surely it's better quality darts if the averages are 95-100 instead of 85-90.

Your quite right.

I watched both championships. The PDC is always of a better standard (It should, they are all full time pro's) but this year the gap in quality has been bigger.

I seroiusly doubt that Adams or Winstanley would of got any further than the QF's of this years PDC.

Having said that, there were some good games (to watch, even if low scoring, as they were tight) in the BDO as the players were often even.

You get an awful lot of Rubbish spouted on the BBC 606 website by fans of both organisations but the BDO is needed to produce young players who can then move to the PDC and progress their game and careers.

I like to think of it as

PDC = Premier League. Best players, higher standard.
    BDO = Football league, Older players not quite good enough for the PDC (or dont fancy it in Adam's case) and young up and coming players.

I think part of the problem is the BBC coverage. Sky will often mention the Lakeside and credit BDO champions with a world champion tag, whilst the BBC look embarressed by the whole thing and constantly ignore the "elephant in the room" that is the PDC.

Proof of the pudding was the SPORTY, with the adulation of Taylor and the occasional pan shot of Adams, with most people wondering "who's that" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy-i wrote: »
    Your quite right.

I watched both championships. The PDC is always of a better standard (It should, they are all full time pro's) but this year the gap in quality has been bigger.

I seroiusly doubt that Adams or Winstanley would of got any further than the QF's of this years PDC.

Having said that, there were some good games (to watch, even if low scoring, as they were tight) in the BDO as the players were often even.

You get an awful lot of Rubbish spouted on the BBC 606 website by fans of both organisations but the BDO is needed to produce young players who can then move to the PDC and progress their game and careers.

I like to think of it as

PDC = Premier League. Best players, higher standard.
    BDO = Football league, Older players not quite good enough for the PDC (or dont fancy it in Adam's case) and young up and coming players.

I think part of the problem is the BBC coverage. Sky will often mention the Lakeside and credit BDO champions with a world champion tag, whilst the BBC look embarressed by the whole thing and constantly ignore the "elephant in the room" that is the PDC.

Proof of the pudding was the SPORTY, with the adulation of Taylor and the occasional pan shot of Adams, with most people wondering "who's that" :rolleyes:

Some excellent and well made points there mate. Just one thing I would disagree with is the way the BBC mention darts. SPOTY was different because Taylor was a contender but on the darts coverage David Croft mentions the PDC guys a lot more than SKY do and he is often favourable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But even that was a lot more noticable this year. Maybe the BBC with their change of host and slight format change in the background have realised that the commentators should be able to talk freely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    I know it well actually

Tony O Shea maybe yea but won jack the rest are nothing speacial Fitton can be great but right now playing poor.

You obviously don't know it well enough it seems. You state Tony O'Shea is the better player out of the list that was given to you including Fitton and Waites.

You are aware that Waites has just come off winning the GSOD, beating the PDC world number 2 in the final having been 8-0 down?

That's pretty good going for someone who is, in your words "nothing special". Not bad for a part timer eh? Tony O'Shea is full time.

Tony O'Shea's "biggest achievement" was the WDF World Cup Singles in 2009. Not exactly the Grand Slam Of Darts now, is it?

Also Waites won two BDO Opens last year, O'Shea's last Open win was in 2009.

You then go on to say that you only watch the BDO for Ted Hankey, and then proceed to talk about how much better the PDC is.

What I think is that you are a PDC-ite who doesn't know anything at all about the BDO and saying that you know a lot about a specific organisation but saying that you only watch it for one player just shows how daft your post really is.
  • Options
    Kopite1763Kopite1763 Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    IMO, the PDC is by far the better organisation, than the BDO.

I watch both organisers events, and the coverage, the players, the standard of darts, are all better at the PDC.

Yes, the BDO has some good players - the likes of Stephen Bunting, Scotty Waites are two who could do well in the PDC, and would benefit their game by playing against a better class of opposition.
    You also have the likes of Martin Adams, who likes to call himself world No. 1....... Which is frankly laughable. This guy refuses to take part in any event where players from both organisations play alongside each other. It seems to me, he is happy and content being a big fish in a small pond...... Because let's face it, if he played against the PDC players, he becomes a small fish in a very big pond.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good players in the BDO, but if they want to be great players, they need to play against the best players in the world, and currently, they reside in the PDC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kopite1763 wrote: »
    IMO, the PDC is by far the better organisation, than the BDO.

I watch both organisers events, and the coverage, the players, the standard of darts, are all better at the PDC.

Yes, the BDO has some good players - the likes of Stephen Bunting, Scotty Waites are two who could do well in the PDC, and would benefit their game by playing against a better class of opposition.
    You also have the likes of Martin Adams, who likes to call himself world No. 1....... Which is frankly laughable. This guy refuses to take part in any event where players from both organisations play alongside each other. It seems to me, he is happy and content being a big fish in a small pond...... Because let's face it, if he played against the PDC players, he becomes a small fish in a very big pond.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good players in the BDO, but if they want to be great players, they need to play against the best players in the world, and currently, they reside in the PDC.

No he doesn't and he has played in the World Matchplay and International League, he just refused to take part in the GSOD.

If you are going to drag up a thread that hasn't had a post in for nearly 3 years at least come prepared with correct facts.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I only watch the BDO.

The PDC just seems yobby.
  • Options
    bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    It's PDC all the way for me, both presentation and quality in darts, the BDO is a competition that is pretty much a stepping stone for players who want eventually want to join the PDC or sorry to say players who are not good enough for the PDC.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDC is like the premier league football, the best will eventually end up there.
    The BDO is the football league. Great for the grass roots and as a feeder to the big time PDC.
    That's how I see it anyway.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darts is darts.

I enjoy whatever is on- whatever system they play under.

Have to say though that my enjoyment of BDO darts has risen greatly since they got rid of the odious Fitzmaurice
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PDC.

But you do see some good or very good darts at the BDO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Darts is darts.

I enjoy whatever is on- whatever system they play under.

Have to say though that my enjoyment of BDO darts has risen greatly since they got rid of the odious Fitzmaurice

totally agree
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    The presentation is of the BDO is what turns me off. I tried to watch some of the masters coverage last night after the Grand Prix and the production was shocking!

Everything looked so dark and cheap. For people who are channel switching and are just causal dart fans I can see why they would take one look @ the BDO when on TV and then change the channel.

The BDO does itself no favors with there cheap production.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    The presentation is of the BDO is what turns me off. I tried to watch some of the masters coverage last night after the Grand Prix and the production was shocking!

Everything looked so dark and cheap. For people who are channel switching and are just causal dart fans I can see why they would take one look @ the BDO when on TV and then change the channel.

The BDO does itself no favors with there cheap production.

That was Winmau and British Eurosport. Sky is flash and brash. When the PDC is on ITV2 or BE it is quite different.

I like them both, i watch both, i grew up with one and now I am learning to appreciate them together.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darts is Darts...Ive always watched it whatever code or station its been on.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was Winmau and British Eurosport. Sky is flash and brash. When the PDC is on ITV2 or BE it is quite different.

I like them both, i watch both, i grew up with one and now I am learning to appreciate them together.

I certainly don't wish to have to wait so painstakingly long just to watch 40 minute highlights of one single match on BBC2.

At least you can watch all the darts of both the afternoon and evening sessions that are on shown on sky live every single day. No need to wait until 11.50pm or the following afternoon before you can first watch darts matches that had already taken place a few hours ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    I certainly don't wish to have to wait so painstakingly long just to watch 40 minute highlights of one single match on BBC2.

At least you can watch all the darts of both the afternoon and evening sessions that are on shown on sky live every single day. No need to wait until 11.50pm or the following afternoon before you can first watch darts matches that had already taken place a few hours ago.

When did you have to do that ???? It was live on ESPN. You seem to criticise the BBC for not showing it live but refuse to accept there WAS live coverage elsewhere.