Nvidia display driver issue with Asus GTX 660 oc

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, Just bought an Asus GTX 660 oc edition from Amazon, great card! running well in my pc (i5 750 with 12gb ram Windows 7 home premium 64 bit) Installed the driver that came on the disc, which was version 3.11. After a little bit I got a prompt that popped up, saying version 3.20.49 was available, so I clicked on it, opened the up the download page in the browser.Says the driver is compatible with 600 series GTX cards with a number of fixes and optimizations, so I thought great. Downloaded the file ok, then tried to install. It looked as though it was installing, it then stopped and came up with installation error, so had to abort the install. Why would this be happening?

I tried to run the install, as administrator too and same problem, just aborts the install with the error.

Are these drivers for Nvidia reference cards only? or should they support third party cards? Or do I need to get the driver from Asus? they only have an older version, same as the one on the disc if i remember correctly.

But why would I get a prompt to download this latest driver only for it to not install?

Any ideas? Am I overlooking or misunderstanding something?

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume you downloaded it from this page, did you?
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.49-whql-driver-uk.html

Don't think the fact it's an Asus card should make any difference at all.
    Does the "oc" stand for over-clocked? Not sure if that would cause any problems?

TBH if it's running fine with the driver that came with it, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There could be a possibility they are conflicting, but i wouldn't expect it either.

I would download the latest drivers from nvidia locally, then uninstall all gfx drivers and install the new ones fresh.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There could be a possibility they are conflicting, but i wouldn't expect it either.

I would download the latest drivers from nvidia locally, then uninstall all gfx drivers and install the new ones fresh.

Have tried a fresh install as well, same problem. Just won't install for some reason.

This is the error i get.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59917354/2013-07-15%2001.08.19-5.jpg

Can't understand why, before it tries to install, it checks for compatibility, then continues to start installing. Then it cuts out with the error.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I presume you downloaded it from this page, did you?
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.49-whql-driver-uk.html

Don't think the fact it's an Asus card should make any difference at all.
    Does the "oc" stand for over-clocked? Not sure if that would cause any problems?

TBH if it's running fine with the driver that came with it, I wouldn't worry too much.

Yep it's factory overclocked. Could that cause an issue? I may just have to get in touch with Asus then. See if they know anything about this.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Yep it's factory overclocked. Could that cause an issue? I may just have to get in touch with Asus then. See if they know anything about this.

I don't know enough about over-clocking to answer your question, but I wouldn't have thought it would affect driver installation?
    But there might be some reason that Asus have stuck with an older version of the driver (if they have).
    As you say, best to contact them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I don't know enough about over-clocking to answer your question, but I wouldn't have thought it would affect driver installation?
    But there might be some reason that Asus have stuck with an older version of the driver (if they have).
    As you say, best to contact them.

Yep I tried, 3.20.18 one step older than the current software, still didnt work. Tried disabling anti virus and do a clean install of the driver, again, no result.

Yes the Asus site under display drivers only lists 3.06. Perhaps that is the only compatible driver available for this card. Will get confirmation from Nvidia.

But I have had cards from Gainward, Sapphire, Power colour before, never had an issue installing drivers. Strange. I mean not having any problems now and the card is running fine, but sometimes drivers receive crucial performance fixes for newer games for example, so would like to get the best out of my card if possible.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest NVIDIA drivers are definitely compatible. A factory OC wouldn't prevent drivers from installing.

With the installer, have you tried Advanced > Clean Install (it's a checkbox)?

FYI, being a bit of a GPU nerd, I'd recommend the 314.22 drivers at the moment as the 320.xx branch are renowned as being a poor set and causing frequent crashes, both when gaming and even when browsing the internet. They might be perfect for you (some people have no issues), but just thought I'd let you know. Available from here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest NVIDIA drivers are definitely compatible. A factory OC wouldn't prevent drivers from installing.

With the installer, have you tried Advanced > Clean Install (it's a checkbox)?

FYI, being a bit of a GPU nerd, I'd recommend the 314.22 drivers at the moment as the 320.xx branch are renowned as being a poor set and causing frequent crashes, both when gaming and even when browsing the internet. They might be perfect for you (some people have no issues), but just thought I'd let you know. Available from here.

Yep did try the clean install as well, to no avail unfortunately. I will give the 3.14 a try. Still find this very odd. Tried installing nvidia experience as well, which is supposed to automatically manage updates, but that wont install either, says its not compatible. Weird, one would think i got an AMD Radeon card in there or something!

And before anyone asks, it;s is definitely an Asus nvidia based card ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope no joy with 3.14 either. Back to the drawing board.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep did try the clean install as well, to no avail unfortunately. I will give the 3.14 a try. Still find this very odd. Tried installing nvidia experience as well, which is supposed to automatically manage updates, but that wont install either, says its not compatible. Weird, one would think i got an AMD Radeon card in there or something!

And before anyone asks, it;s is definitely an Asus nvidia based card ;)

That's a point actually - did you have an AMD card before? Definitely uninstalled the AMD drivers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a point actually - did you have an AMD card before? Definitely uninstalled the AMD drivers?

Nope had an Nvidia GTS 240, crappy card that came with the system. uninstalled those drivers before installing the new card.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just about to install the Asus TI version of this card with a similar set-up. I think I'll skip the driver update for a bit.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top tip: never install the drivers that come on a disk with hardware. Step one: put the CD in the bin.

You are much better in all cases to either allow Windows to locate and install its own driver, or download and install the most recent stable driver from the manufacturer.

In the OPs case, I'd remove all traces of the original drivers and start from scratch. I know ATI provide a utility to do this, but I'm not sure about Nvidia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Top tip: never install the drivers that come on a disk with hardware. Step one: put the CD in the bin.

You are much better in all cases to either allow Windows to locate and install its own driver, or download and install the most recent stable driver from the manufacturer.

In the OPs case, I'd remove all traces of the original drivers and start from scratch. I know ATI provide a utility to do this, but I'm not sure about Nvidia.

I didn't initially. Windows installed the drivers, I didn't touch the CD. Then windows prompted for an updated version of the drivers, which was the 3.20.49, then i got screwed up when i selected fresh install, so it removed the drivers that windows installed and then attempted to install the new ones, which failed.

Then i had to restart and start again, so I tried the CD drivers to see if they would work, they did, I have tried numerous times with a fewer older drivers and they didn't work. So i'm now back on 3.11 which was installed through windows and not the CD.

Been installing drivers since the 90s so i'm not a total newbie when it comes to this. I just can't seem to figure this out though. Anyway for the mean time there are no issues with the current drivers so will make do, and wait for the next driver, see if that works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I'm just about to install the Asus TI version of this card with a similar set-up. I think I'll skip the driver update for a bit.

Cool let me know how it goes. I did think about the ti card, but some were saying it's a bit much for the system I have, the cpu could cause a bottle neck and I would need a bit more power, I got a 550w psu, requirement for the non ti was 500w.

Also looking at benchmarks, the 660 oc not far off in performance terms from the ti. So in the end i decided on not paying the extra for the ti version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLY5DAH9xbk

What spec is your system exactly if I may ask?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool let me know how it goes. I did think about the ti card, but some were saying it's a bit much for the system I have, the cpu could cause a bottle neck and I would need a bit more power, I got a 550w psu, requirement for the non ti was 500w.

Also looking at benchmarks, the 660 oc not far off in performance terms from the ti. So in the end i decided on not paying the extra for the ti version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLY5DAH9xbk

What spec is your system exactly if I may ask?

I never noticed the OC version till you posted. Not much in it price wise as far as I can see. Ignoring this driver issue you should have a really good graphics card there.

My spec is:

Asus GTX 660 TI 2meg
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard
    i5-3570K CPU
    Corsair (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
    Corsair CXM 500W PSU
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    SanDisk Extreme 120G SSD
    Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive

Physically all together now but I'm waiting for upstairs to cool down a bit. It's 30C up there at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I never noticed the OC version till you posted. Not much in it price wise as far as I can see. Ignoring this driver issue you should have a really good graphics card there.

My spec is:

Asus GTX 660 TI 2meg
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard
    i5-3570K CPU
    Corsair (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
    Corsair CXM 500W PSU
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    SanDisk Extreme 120G SSD
    Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive

Physically all together now but I'm waiting for upstairs to cool down a bit. It's 30C up there at the moment.

Yeah i hear ya! it's blooming hot here too! Decent specs, just checking your cpu vs mine on cpu boss.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K

Looking at that, I think your cpu is a better fit for the ti to be honest. I think the non ti is pretty much what I should have here. But i'm curious. When you are up and running, let's compare 3dmark benchmarks, if you up for it? I mean on paper you got the better cpu and gpu, i've got 16gb of ram as opposed to your 8gb, ( amount of ram may not be that significant)

But interesting to see what exactly is the difference in performance. I've got nothing overclocked though. And your cpu is at a higher clock speed. I got driver 3.11 for the card, and it's pretty stable so far, not sure what you going for, but you may want to install that version.

Yeah, the OC version seems to fall somewhere between the regular 660 and the ti, but looking at some scores, the OC only down a few FPS on most demanding games, and for some, higher than the ti.

When i was looking around, I'm pretty sure I saw your card for over £200 when i checked, I paid £168 for mine. Prices chop and change like crazy. ,Your card is £191 now so not much difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah i hear ya! it's blooming hot here too! Decent specs, just checking your cpu vs mine on cpu boss.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K

Looking at that, I think your cpu is a better fit for the ti to be honest. I think the non ti is pretty much what I should have here. But i'm curious. When you are up and running, let's compare 3dmark benchmarks, if you up for it? I mean on paper you got the better cpu and gpu, i've got 16gb of ram as opposed to your 8gb, ( amount of ram may not be that significant)

But interesting to see what exactly is the difference in performance. I've got nothing overclocked though. And your cpu is at a higher clock speed. I got driver 3.11 for the card, and it's pretty stable so far, not sure what you going for, but you may want to install that version.

Yeah, the OC version seems to fall somewhere between the regular 660 and the ti, but looking at some scores, the OC only down a few FPS on most demanding games, and for some, higher than the ti.

When i was looking around, I'm pretty sure I saw your card for over £200 when i checked, I paid £168 for mine. Prices chop and change like crazy. ,Your card is £191 now so not much difference.

I nearly posted exactly this yesterday. A week and a half ago I paid £178.39 for the TI on Amazon. Performance wise effective and appreciable differences may be verging on the academic.

I'm not rushing to finish the build and I'll probably complete it on Saturday when I've more time and hopefully without the level 3 heatwave conditions.... wipes brow...:D

Thanks for the tip. If all's good I'll catch up with you next week.