Options

Heart Stations

Comments

• Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    Just a quick question regarding "who's on heart" forgive me if the answer is obvious!
    I listen to Heart North west and it is the presenter of the North west station that asks if the listener wants to lock in their guess for the identity of the secret celebrity.
    Now, if the guess is correct (and they win the 100k) what happens on all the other Heart stations up and down the country?
    Do they just make an announcement to say the competition was won in another area?

I was thinking that the guessers choice was being broadcast nationally but as far as I can recall, it's the local presenter from Heart North west asking the question to the guesser who is from my region?

I hope this makes sense :blush:

I thought who's on Heart was only a national competition done by Toby and Matt ???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Just a quick question regarding "who's on heart" forgive me if the answer is obvious!
    I listen to Heart North west and it is the presenter of the North west station that asks if the listener wants to lock in their guess for the identity of the secret celebrity.
    Now, if the guess is correct (and they win the 100k) what happens on all the other Heart stations up and down the country?
    Do they just make an announcement to say the competition was won in another area?

I was thinking that the guessers choice was being broadcast nationally but as far as I can recall, it's the local presenter from Heart North west asking the question to the guesser who is from my region?

I hope this makes sense :blush:

All Who's on Heart on rounds are networked. The presenter always say's "Your playing across the Heart Network"

All off-peak shows are nationally broadcasted, from global's Leicester Square studio, the only local shows are:
    Weekdays-
    Heart Breakfast 0600-1000
    Heart Drivetime 1600-1900
    Weekends-
    Heart Weekend Afternoons 1300-1700(Saturdays) and 1200-1400(Sundays)

All other shows including Toby Anstis, Matt Wilkinson, Roberto, Mark Wright etc. are broadcasted nationally. Local news is produced weekdays 0600-1900 and Weekends 0600-1200.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit here :p
  • Options
    David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grimshaw84 wrote: »
    The competition runs from 10am until 4pm daily. This is period that is networked across the whole country. That means, the whole output (apart from local ads and news) comes from London. Network presenters Toby Anstis and Matt Wilkinson do the competition during this time. If you hear a winner then everyone will hear it at the same time.
    simonk243 wrote: »
    I thought who's on Heart was only a national competition done by Toby and Matt ???
    harrykent wrote: »
    All Who's on Heart on rounds are networked. The presenter always say's "Your playing across the Heart Network"

All off-peak shows are nationally broadcasted, from global's Leicester Square studio, the only local shows are:
    Weekdays-
    Heart Breakfast 0600-1000
    Heart Drivetime 1600-1900
    Weekends-
    Heart Weekend Afternoons 1300-1700(Saturdays) and 1200-1400(Sundays)

All other shows including Toby Anstis, Matt Wilkinson, Roberto, Mark Wright etc. are broadcasted nationally. Local news is produced weekdays 0600-1900 and Weekends 0600-1200.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit here :p

Aha! Thank you all, I didn't even realise that from 10am we are all listening to one broadcast!
    So, you guys listen to the same 6 songs I listen to all day then :D
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! Thank you all, I didn't even realise that from 10am we are all listening to one broadcast!

This is the reason why the networked Heart presenters never give out listeners' locations when they read out their texts and tweets (except of course,if they're listening in a foreign country),so people listening to "Scotland's Heart" don't hear things like "Hello to Billy who's working the nightshift at Tesco's in Birmingham",and so on.

As somebody posted above the majority of the Heart output is the same across the network,it is not really a local station,it is a national station with small local variations,mainly the breakfast show,which,in Scotland at least,still retains some of the character of the old Real Radio.

They played Tasmin Archer's Sleeping Satellite on the Time Tunnel last night,,excellent record,I'd not heard it for ages. Plus we only heard All Of Me once during the night! So maybe things are improving...
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And that my friends backs up a point we have said all the way through. This is the view of a typical listener and why no one gives a toss about networking, The only people that know it happens are anoraks and people who work in radio no one else gives a toss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    And that my friends backs up a point we have said all the way through. This is the view of a typical listener and why no one gives a toss about networking, The only people that know it happens are anoraks and people who work in radio no one else gives a toss.

Well,I don't work in radio,so according to your analysis,I'm an anorak.

I may be an anorak about some things ( in fact in my local pub quiz the quizmaster often jokingly calls me an anorak),but I don't think you'd need to be an anorak to be able to work out that the majority of Heart's output is networked. You just need to listen to it. As I said above,the fact that the networked DJs never say a listener's location is a dead giveaway.

I have no problem with them networking their output,I just think it's a bit off to claim there are all these different Heart local stations,Scotland,West Midlands,Bristol,whatever,when,apart from the breakfast and the drivetime show,they're basically all the same station and most of the time everybody all over the country is listening to the same thing.

But it doesn't matter because no one gives a toss,you say.

The sad thing is you're probably right.
  • Options
    leandy1leandy1 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I've got to say with the awful networked presenters on the Bauer station's these days I'd rather listen to Heart over Radio City,Key 103 etc anyday
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed when it comes to networked radio. Global stations do have the edge as much as it pains me to say it lol
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »

I don't give a toss neither as the utter drivel played over and over is mind numbing! so glad I work in an office now where I can listen to a pirate online instead of there being only one radio and people having to listen to the same shite on Heart.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member
    The local show's are pointless as a lot of the presenters don't know the area they are in, this week the Heart Devon presenter was laughing about a ridiculous road name on the travel, turns out that she was talking about an incident in a village (Abbotskerswell). Presenters don't even know the place names they are presenting too!
  • Options
    Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,309
    Forum Member
    Technical problems on heart after my local heart breakfast finished 5 mins earlier it went to heart London and toby antis was saying who on heart is coming next on London, s Heart :D
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    The local show's are pointless as a lot of the presenters don't know the area they are in, this week the Heart Devon presenter was laughing about a ridiculous road name on the travel, turns out that she was talking about an incident in a village (Abbotskerswell). Presenters don't even know the place names they are presenting too!
    I would expect presenters to have a good local knowledge of their area, I agree, but expecting them to know every single small village in the fourth biggest county in the whole of England? Seems to be expecting rather a lot, to be honest. Do you know every village and town in Devon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technical problems on heart after my local heart breakfast finished 5 mins earlier it went to heart London and toby antis was saying who on heart is coming next on London, s Heart :D

This is quite interesting,I've just checked the schedules. It seems that the local Heart breakfast shows finish at ten,but London's finishes at nine and Toby Anstis takes over,but the other Hearts don't join his show until ten,so for the first hour of his show he's broadcasting to London only. He must have to remember that after ten o'clock he's being networked,so he can't say "London's Heart" any more.

Technical foul ups such as this are always amusing.

The schedule listings on the Heart website are brilliant - they alll say pretty much the same thing:

"Join Simon Beale in the Heart studio for more music variety."

"Paul and Cat with more music variety to start your day."

"Toby Anstis is your man for more music variety in the morning."

"Matt Wilkinson keeps you company in the afternoon with more music variety."

"Adele Cunningham with more music variety."

Hmm,are they trying to tell us something?:)
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More music variety maybe pmsl.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good tunes today swing out sister, armand van helden, stardust, basement Jaxx definitely lots more unique tracks today sounds corny but more variety.
  • Options
    OrnsackOrnsack Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weirdest thing about minimal local programming is that it's often completely different from everything else on the network. The breakfast show in the Westcountry at least (a hangover from GWR Bristol) is funny and silly and slightly anarchic, then it gets to 10am and the station gets very dull very quickly.

I imagine it's the same throughout the country, especially with breakfast shows that have survived the Gcap days.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ornsack wrote: »
    The weirdest thing about minimal local programming is that it's often completely different from everything else on the network. The breakfast show in the Westcountry at least (a hangover from GWR Bristol) is funny and silly and slightly anarchic, then it gets to 10am and the station gets very dull very quickly.

I imagine it's the same throughout the country, especially with breakfast shows that have survived the Gcap days.

Its quite normal, Magic 105.4 do the same with more speech at breakfast straight into Gary Vincent who kicks off 10 in a row.

In the US as well a lot of stations have near enough full speech breakfast shows (Similar to what Moyles did) with only a 3 or 4 songs an hour. Listen to Elvis Duran on Z100, he does prank calls/wind ups and theres a lot of speech. As soon as he goes off air its speed links pretty much.
  • Options
    Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,309
    Forum Member
    This is quite interesting,I've just checked the schedules. It seems that the local Heart breakfast shows finish at ten,but London's finishes at nine and Toby Anstis takes over,but the other Hearts don't join his show until ten,so for the first hour of his show he's broadcasting to London only. He must have to remember that after ten o'clock he's being networked,so he can't say "London's Heart" any more.

Technical foul ups such as this are always amusing.

The schedule listings on the Heart website are brilliant - they alll say pretty much the same thing:

"Join Simon Beale in the Heart studio for more music variety."

"Paul and Cat with more music variety to start your day."

"Toby Anstis is your man for more music variety in the morning."

"Matt Wilkinson keeps you company in the afternoon with more music variety."

"Adele Cunningham with more music variety."

Hmm,are they trying to tell us something?:)

It is quite funny when technical problems happen
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems reading some comments after all this time people didn't realise it's networked from 10am locally and breakfast continues with the time tunnel with only London having Toby from 9am.

Who's on Heart is pre recorded before the news and played out afterwards apart from just before 4pm which is aired before local drivehome starts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    It seems reading some comments after all this time people didn't realise it's networked from 10am locally and breakfast continues with the time tunnel with only London having Toby from 9am.

Who's on Heart is pre recorded before the news and played out afterwards apart from just before 4pm which is aired before local drivehome starts.

Why is Who's on Heart pre recorded? i thought it was live.

Having said that I've never actually listened to it because I only listen to Heart during the night,when they don't play it. Although that doesn't stop the presenters going on about it, ^We're so close now,only one name away from £100,000!"

I think we've been "so close" for months now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Who's on Heart pre recorded? i thought it was live.

Having said that I've never actually listened to it because I only listen to Heart during the night,when they don't play it. Although that doesn't stop the presenters going on about it, ^We're so close now,only one name away from £100,000!"

I think we've been "so close" for months now.

Phone in before 20 to the hour, answer a question then the caller is put in through to Dj and pre records that segment before the news, just incase the caller swears on air if they win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long before the festive tunes are aired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone in before 20 to the hour, answer a question then the caller is put in through to Dj and pre records that segment before the news, just incase the caller swears on air if they win.

I thought it might be something like that. I remember Davina during the live evictions on Big Brother would always say,*Housemates,you are now live on Channel 4. Please do not swear."

So what would happen if somebody DID swear?

Caller: YES! HUNDRED GRAND! GET THE F*** IN!
    DJ: You can't say that live on air. We can't broadcast that.
    Caller: Sorry. I just got a bit excited.
    DJ: Right,we'll have to record it again.
    Caller: What? Have I still won?
    DJ: Yes,you've still won,we just have to do another take without the swearing.
    Caller: OK.
    DJ: Right,I'll ask you the question again,you say your answers again,and don't swear. OK?
    Caller: Got it. (Pause.) But it's not going to be any good,is it?
    DJ: What do you mean?
    Caller: Well,I already know I've won.
    DJ: Well,pretend you don't know.
    Caller: Pretend?
    DJ: Look,do you want the hundred grand or not?

I can't help myself.:)
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long before the festive tunes are aired.

No doubt the first one will be All I want for Christmas by mariah carey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or what about:

DJ: You've just won a HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS!
    Caller: Cheers. Thanks a lot.
    DJ: (Pause.) Is that it?
    Caller: What do you mean?
    DJ: I mean,you've just won a hundred grand,you could at least sound a bit more excited.
    Caller: Sorry. It's just all that whooping and cheering and stuff isn't really my thing.
    DJ: Look,we'll do it again. This time,try and sound a bit more excited..
    Caller: Well,I'll try..but I'm not promising anything...