Apps apps and more apps?? Our obsession with apps

2»

Comments

• Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Well this is my point, the stock apps which are the ones used most predominantly should be flawless and functional. In addition some quality apps are great, doesn't need to be huge in numbers, but I certainly don't feel there needs to thousands of duplicate apps as a measuring stick for how good a device/os is.

I would take a slick and intuitive OS, (windows phone, playbook os) over a limited (IOS or buggy (previous android versions) because core functionality is so good and the user experience is refined so that its actually a joy to use on a daily basis. Who wants constant force closes, laggy browser issues? I know recent Android os updates have addressed some issues. But don't forget phone vendors skin their handsets and offer a secondary user experience. which may or may not be that good depending how much it has been tweaked.Can't put all Android phones in one basket then, since each handset will differ unless it's a nexus using pure Android. They will all offer the same app range, but not the same user experience!

Apps will come, as an eco system grows, but I don't think it is the be all and end all when choosing a device. I would say pick one that has ease of use, functionality and is less buggy, then you've got something very decent. Use apps to determine your purchase which many still do, and it's pretty much a lottery (of course there is only one choice with an Apple product, Iphone) But people turn away from windows phones, and granted Blackberry phones have been a bit samey samey the past few years but they are gonna bring out the new OS10 full touch phones. I urge folk to put the apps thing to bed for a moment and see what it actually does well, what are the strengths of the phone and what does the OS offer the user with regards to function. Same with the new Windows phones. I'm as yet undecided on an upgrade but will research what is out there in 2 or 3 months time.

Windows Phone "slick and intuitive" you say. “Buggy and limited” I say. A slick OS would handle notifications in a more developed way – Android and iOS manage that. It still does not feel like a smartphone platform, I was hoping for so much more from WP8 after the failure of WP7, I was (and may yet) considering getting WP8 device next year. Microsoft have much work to do to persuade me though, I need more than fancy window transitions.

The Playbook is irrelevant. RIM are irrelevant.

I think the question that you should ask yourself is "why can't I see the benifit of apps like everyone else?". And the answer is we all have different needs and all of us are wrong - well what I mean is I am right, for my needs but not yours and visa versa.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Windows Phone "slick and intuitive" you say. “Buggy and limited” I say. A slick OS would handle notifications in a more developed way – Android and iOS manage that. It still does not feel like a smartphone platform, I was hoping for so much more from WP8 after the failure of WP7, I was (and may yet) considering getting WP8 device next year. Microsoft have much work to do to persuade me though, I need more than fancy window transitions.

The Playbook is irrelevant. RIM are irrelevant.

I think the question that you should ask yourself is "why can't I see the benifit of apps like everyone else?". And the answer is we all have different needs and all of us are wrong - well what I mean is I am right, for my needs but not yours and visa versa.

I think microsoft are pushing windows 8 as an integration platform to give a consistent experience regardless of platform (mobile/tablet/laptop/desktop/TV/gaming device) and seem less migration/access to apps and data regardless of hardware. I guess in a similar way to what apple have done but across more platforms.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    It's not all about market share though. IOS is attractive to developers for two other reasons. Firstly, there are fewer platforms to have to worry about, and secondly, Apple customers tend to be more willing to spend money on paid apps vs free apps.

App availability isn't just about selling apps. NatWest, Amazon, BA, etc are selling apps, they are generating business by making their products easier to buy and use.

If I use a product or service, a good app can make it even better. Buying a phone badly supported by apps is huge disadvantage for me.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    App availability isn't just about selling apps. NatWest, Amazon, BA, etc are selling apps, they are generating business by making their products easier to buy and use.

If I use a product or service, a good app can make it even better. Buying a phone badly supported by apps is huge disadvantage for me.

Although I must say a lot of apps are just gimmicks and are no better (and sometimes worse) than using the company's website. More often than not one loses the pinch to zoom function which for me renders the app virtually useless without putting reading glasses on.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Although I must say a lot of apps are just gimmicks and are no better (and sometimes worse) than using the company's website. More often than not one loses the pinch to zoom function which for me renders the app virtually useless without putting reading glasses on.

Sad for you, but not a problem for the vast majority of users. For most, a well designed app is an improvement over viewing a web page on a phone (Some, like the BBC news app, allow you to change the font size).

I wouldn't buy a phone that wasn't iOS or Android today because any third OS isn't currently taken seriously by the general business community (I'm not interested in the availability of any paid apps).

One day maybe HTML5 will make it possible for all devices to share the same "app", but until that is the case, I'll be sticking with one of the big two.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Sad for you, but not a problem for the vast majority of users. For most, a well designed app is an improvement over viewing a web page on a phone (Some, like the BBC news app, allow you to change the font size).

Even putting aside the pinch to zoom issue, I don't like the BBC app because it is totally different to the web view, I don't particularly want to change the UI I am used to using on bigger devices, it makes it harder to navigate rather than easier