How did Rihanna get so big?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Simple:

Umbrella and GGB then CB assaulting her totally changed and redefined her career.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Yes, the CB thing definitely had a big impact on her career. The GGGB album was certainly big (and Umbrella was a huge hit) but that incident and the subsequent album which capatalised on that sent her into the stratosphere I think.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is that there can only be room for so many R&B females and if Beyonce is on a break then anything by Rhianna will get saturation airplay . There are loads of R&B singers producing good music that you never hear , it's just that Rhianna is flavour of the month . Fantasia can sing Rhianna under a bridge but most don't even know she exists . Her live version of "Umbrella" was the only time I ever appreciated that song .
    Umbrella
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eCmLyk7u4

Superstition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSqOMSrAKoU
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    My theory is that there can only be room for so many R&B females and if Beyonce is on a break then anything by Rhianna will get saturation airplay . There are loads of R&B singers producing good music that you never hear , it's just that Rhianna is flavour of the month . Fantasia can sing Rhianna under a bridge but most don't even know she exists . Her live version of "Umbrella" was the only time I ever appreciated that song .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eCmLyk7u4

When the general pop loving public get tired of Rhianna / the hits stop coming the corporate backers will divert investment to another 'up & comer' of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting for her bubble to burst and tbh I think she knows she's not the kind of artist that will last decades and so rushes out album after album in quick succession.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easy to say her bubble will burst as it so often does and I would have agreed but her success is relentless and has been non stop for almost five years and she has only gotten bigger so it's hard to say now.

Anyway I account her success to this:

Umbrella and GGB her breakthrough then DSTM, Disturbia, take a bow in quick succession solidifies her as a viable hit maker people invested more including her label Chris Brown assault her she becomes even more known releases Rated R gets critical acclaim followed quickly by loud she becomes the number 1 artist. She gets Thea best writest most money spent and biggest push as people know if it has her name she sells. Also she changes her sound and look often keeps interest up add to that her private life she makes for the perfect 21st centurary pop star.
  • Options
    scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has soul and pizzaz, she's effortlessly different and has what it takes to keep people interested.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great team behind her and her image & music appeal to the kids, simple! I watched her new video "Stay" and the song and video are very dull, Rihanna couldn't express emotion if her life depended on it. :p
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Too many people with an awful taste in music.

This ^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    This ^

And your so mighty sat up there on your pedestal ;)
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's been able to keep herself in the public eye. She's had album after album each year , and doesn't stop touring
    She has really promoted herself made appearances on many shows, you can't not know who she is.
    She keeps changing her style of music . Her music is played everywhere. She's also always drawing attention to herself like news about her life , Chris Brown etc. and then her constant hairstyle change.

All of this combined is making her successful.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More than a handful of good songs;willingness to regularly tour; willingness to experiment with styles of music; sexy image; association with other significant music figures; amazing, and I mean, amazing good looks; plus a great slice of luck.

It's not really rocket science, is it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cant compare the two singers at all. Ciara is not in the same league...her songs are lukewarm and I think Rihanna has had the cross over success. All Ciara does is sing a few notes and dance the rest of the song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Ciara is really bitter at how big Rihanna has blown up, constantly releasing smash singles when her last big single was in 2004.
  • Options
    mimi123456mimi123456 Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Rihanna when she was new and innocent. Her first album was wicked. I didn't like Pon De Replay but all the songs after that were top notch.

Getting a bit bored of her now and her almost nudity in her music videos.

But yeah, she has become really big and really quick. Normally it takes artists a long time to establish themselves. So something strange there. Is all the Illuminati and symbolism stuff true? And did she really sell her soul?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I personally think she really only became big after Umbrella came out. For some reason the song was such a big hit. I think it's also because she's always in the public eye and bringing out new albums every year, but she really needs to take a break after this year's album and release a Singles Collection before coming back in 2015 with a killer album. She has enough singles (including collaborations) to fill at least 2 discs!
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I liked her up until We Found love, i just find her an attention seeking Pop star who constantly had to release an album every year to stay relevant and her relationship with Chris Brown Yawn.