Saturday: Daniel Powter
    Sunday: Keri Hilson

I can guarantee it.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    it is about whether people can afford to go or not. and many young people can't afford to go, thus an increasing amount of older people are going instead. as such the acts need to appeal to those who can afford to pay. what other festivals do is up to them, such as rewind appealing to an older audience primarily with acts that were popular in the 80s/90s

"an increasing amount of older people"

yeah, we're all getting older.

But I still disagree it revolves around whether people can afford to go. There is a lot of choice out there, IOW, Bestival, Reading/Leeds, Download etc and young people are much in evidence at any or all of those.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "an increasing amount of older people"

yeah, we're all getting older.

But I still disagree it revolves around whether people can afford to go. There is a lot of choice out there, IOW, Bestival, Reading/Leeds, Download etc and young people are much in evidence at any or all of those.
    you can disagree all you want, but if people can't afford to go, they are unlikely to go. have you analysed the age demographics of the other festivals over their life? the same situation may be occuring elsewhere too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I can see that Rihanna may have greater appeal to a younger audience, but I thought your argument was that there had been a change in policy to cater for the increasingly older audience. And I still don't think a couple of high profile examples out of hundreds of artists really demonstrates a change in policy.

Mind you, one of my best memories of Glastonbury was standing next to a couple in their 60s getting well into the White Stripes. :)
    i'm not trying to argue anything. all i'm pointing out is that when someone mentioned that artists named by someone else weren't suitable for glastonbury, they were wrong as those artists would be more than suitable headline acts for next years festival.
    the music policy has changed over the years as i've mentioned before. michael books the headliners and emily is the main booker now. with an increasing average age of attendees as a result of more older people attending and less young people, they need to book acts that will appeal across the board to all ages - not as you think i'm suggesting to either the young or the old. there is no point in putting on headline acts that will alienate large percentages of your headlines and potentially put people off returning in the future
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't hold my breathe with anything I read about Prince. When he was over, did he play anywhere?
    if you hold your breathe over prince u would die (4 u)

he didn't play any gigs when he was over, but he was rehearsing. he may be back soon, to promote a new album or 2
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

he didn't play any gigs when he was over, but he was rehearsing. he may be back soon, to promote a new album or 2

Prince...promote, is that something new he is trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is no point in putting on headline acts that will alienate large percentages of your headlines and potentially put people off returning in the future

But the headline acts are far from being the be-all and end-all of Glastonbury. Personally I wouldn't cross the road to see Beyoncé (nothing to do with age, I just don't enjoy that style of music and performance) but over on the Other Stage there was a cracking good set from Kool & The Gang which was clearly the place to go for anyone who wanted to finish up in party mood. And there were other choices too.

Inevitably there will be occasional disappointments. ;)
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's a funny one Prince - even after a lot of stuff which has been week short of his best stuff, I'm always interested to hear his new stuff still. And the 3rd eye girl stuff I've heard has sounded pretty good, so hopefully there's an album to come out of that at least.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a funny one Prince - even after a lot of stuff which has been week short of his best stuff, I'm always interested to hear his new stuff still. And the 3rd eye girl stuff I've heard has sounded pretty good, so hopefully there's an album to come out of that at least.

If rumours are true, it may be two albums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the headline acts are far from being the be-all and end-all of Glastonbury. Personally I wouldn't cross the road to see Beyoncé (nothing to do with age, I just don't enjoy that style of music and performance) but over on the Other Stage there was a cracking good set from Kool & The Gang which was clearly the place to go for anyone who wanted to finish up in party mood. And there were other choices too.

Inevitably there will be occasional disappointments. ;)
    but what you like is irrelevant. it's what the majority of punters will like. the headliners pull in punters. get it right and people will return. get it wrong and sales can slip. get it wrong a number of years in succession and you have a problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some of the stuff he's done recently has been really great, other stuff is a bit bland
    dearmrman wrote: »
    If rumours are true, it may be two albums.

if rumours are true then it could be only one album. as prince is such a douche at times he will literally see rumours which are true at that time, and cancel things just to try and make the people who posted rumours look stupid or unreliable. i've seen a few things over the last few years get cancelled or changed for those very reasons. so in return many people stop posting them openly. another thing is his team is pretty small, at least for a superstar, so when stuff comes out it's easily traced back and people don't get asked back again.
    certainly the rumours going around are based on something geniune, but until you have the cd in your hand (and even then i have cds that were pulled last minute!) or he's standing on the stage PLAYING (as i've seen him onstage before and then not bother playing), you can't count your chickens.

but as for glasto, just forget about it. NEVER going to happen until at least something major changes. they just won't pay the money he's been getting for the past decade or so, and as he doesn't make money from selling records anymore he wants to retain his high performance fee. the royalties just cover his overheads like the studio, which are pretty big
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but what you like is irrelevant. it's what the majority of punters will like. the headliners pull in punters. get it right and people will return. get it wrong and sales can slip. get it wrong a number of years in succession and you have a problem

What I do know is that I'm sick and tired of your peevish, irritable, humourless posts so I will leave you to it.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so this thread ended up turning into lots of bickering... can we get back to what it was originally intended for?

So far only five acts are officially confirmed:

Arcade Fire (Friday headliner)
    Lily Allen
    Dolly Parton
    Blondie
    Disclosure

A few names that were at one point heavily rumoured to be playing have been ruled out completely such as...

Prince
    Fleetwood Mac
    Oasis

The line up is STILL NOT ANNOUNCED and I'm getting really impatient now! There's still a few names going around which are heavily rumoured to be at the top of the bill, such as...

Kasabian (dead certs apparently)
    Metallica
    Stone Roses

And a few names which are said not to be headlining but still fairly certain to be playing, such as...

Outkast
    Klaxons
    Warpaint
    Pet Shop Boys

---

Anyone else got anything to add? I've heard a rumour the line up is going to be announced on March 27th, not from any particularly reliable source though.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay maybe, I wonder if Kylie Minogue will be there
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Friday: Misha B
    Saturday: Daniel Powter
    Sunday: Keri Hilson

I can guarantee it.
    Who? Have you just made them up? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Eagles looked nailed on when their UK tour dates were announced, but that looks out now.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well we will soon find out.

27 March 2013 was not the full line up but close enough http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/2013-line-up-revealed

in 2010 and 2011 it was 14 April

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/the-2010-line-up-is-revealed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/8451645/Glastonbury-2011-full-line-up-announced.html

I started going in 1979 so 35 years ago and have not missed any yet as I work at Glastonbury so the line up does not make much difference to me .
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads on for me. There's gonna be some brutal clashes.