Options

Mobile Phone Software

MikeCMikeC Posts: 203
Forum Member
I recently bought my wife an O2 branded Samsung SGH-E370 and she was extremely cheesed-off to find that it was not possible to set up the “speed dialling”. Apparently O2 have decided in their infinite wisdom to only allow speed dial numbers of their choosing! I have pursued the matter with Trading Standards, O2 and Samsung in order to get speed dialling set up enabled with no luck so far.

Although speed dialling is a fairly trivial function in itself, what concerns me is that network providers can modify a mobile phone’s operating system and therefore alter the specification of the phone with impunity! In this case, nowhere in O2’s literature did it say that speed dialling was crippled. In fact the Samsung user manual supplied with the phone described how to set up and use it.

How the hell are we consumers expected to make informed decisions when selecting a mobile phone if we’re not given a full and proper description of them to start with!

OK, rant over.

What do you folks think?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont know why o2 would want to stop speed dialing? as its quite usefull

the network providers dont modify the s/w but they tell the phone manufacturers what they want on it.
    if you want it unbranding you could get it reflashed with generic s/w?
  • Options
    MikeCMikeC Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Samsung told me that O2 actually install the modified software so it's O2's problem. I expect they're BS'ing me though.

O2 reckon it's Samsung's problem as it's their handset. I expect they're BS'ing me also.

My main concern for non-techies is when does an SGH-E370 stop being an SGH-E370 and start contravening trading legislation? I think retailers should be forced to disclose any modifications made to a phone by each network provider.

I found out that it could be de-branded. Do you know anywhere safe? Where do they get their software from anyway? Samsung refused me point-blank!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you could do it yourself, the flashes are available on the net
    like here:
    http://avi-stuff.irde.to/files.php?catid=249
    although it would be safer to let somone with the correct equipment do it for you
    most unlocking shops should be able to do it