shame I liked him
  • lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time jones is back
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Tom wouldn't go back after being dumped like that!.. I would be telling them where to stick it if they did that to me!....... :(
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    Surely Tom wouldn't go back after being dumped like that!.. I would be telling them where to stick it if they did that to me!....... :(

Tom Jones got sacked by the BBC. The show is on ITV now.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Tom Jones got sacked by the BBC. The show is on ITV now.

Did he get sacked by the BBC though? Surely it would have been a production decision from Talpa/Wall to Wall in which case wouldn't he be going back to same production team?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Not doing this season of 'The Voice on ITV but sending @iamwill my love."

That sounds more like he wasn't asked to do it.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He was never someone who would have been taken on by ITV
  • Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a surprise he got sacked after the 2016 series was the worst-rating ever?

There's no way Paloma Faith will be back either.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I think I read somewhere he's doing the apprentice USA& wont the filming for this be at the same time as the filming for the voice finding it tricky for him to juggle both?
  • simeysimey Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I think I read somewhere he's doing the apprentice USA& wont the filming for this be at the same time as the filming for the voice finding it tricky for him to juggle both?
    He actually finished filming The Apprentice a while ago but its transmission has been delayed by the network so no they wouldn't clash.

I don't think BG was asked back either which is a shame as he was the best judge on the last series. Why on earth ITV would want will-i-am back is beyond me, the guy couldnt even string a sentence together during the live shows.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan R wrote: »
    Is it a surprise he got sacked after the 2016 series was the worst-rating ever?

There's no way Paloma Faith will be back either.

I sincerely hope you are right as I thought she was truly awful.

Sorry George* isn't returning though.:(

(* I just cannot bring myself to prefix his name.;-) )
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simey wrote: »
    He actually finished filming The Apprentice a while ago but its transmission has been delayed by the network so no they wouldn't clash.

I don't think BG was asked back either which is a shame as he was the best judge on the last series. Why on earth ITV would want will-i-am back is beyond me, the guy couldnt even string a sentence together during the live shows.

He has wonderful and lucrative contacts.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George didn't take very good advantage of this opportunity. You would think he would have have released a new single and album to coincide with the airing of the show to reestablish himself as a musician. But nothing.

He started off well, but towards the end his usual arrogant bitchy nature came out. He completely took over the duet of Imagine with Cody and wouldn't even let her sing.
    Also, at the end, he showed himself to be a sore loser by criticizing the winner's song and making fun of Ricky.
    So I personally am glad he won't be back. But I'm not too big on Tom Jones either. They need someone younger and fresher to liven things up.
  • rodney_edwardsrodney_edwards Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    George didn't take very good advantage of this opportunity. You would think he would have have released a new single and album to coincide with the airing of the show to reestablish himself as a musician. But nothing.

He started off well, but towards the end his usual arrogant bitchy nature came out. He completely took over the duet of Imagine with Cody and wouldn't even let her sing.
    Also, at the end, he showed himself to be a sore loser by criticizing the winner's song and making fun of Ricky.
    So I personally am glad he won't be back. But I'm not too big on Tom Jones either. They need someone younger and fresher to liven things up.

The problem is, "younger and fresher" is not cutting it any more. It's boring! Modern music is so stale and lacking personality. Everyone is so serious and trying to be sexy. Just have fun. Do we need another singer who over sings? Do we need another ballad singer? Do we need another pretty face dancing to average tunes? Contestants need to Stop being so serious!!

People moan about Tom Jones and say "he's not relevant anymore".. A guarantee his name and relevance will live on longer than all the other judges put together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She would never do it, but I think Adele would make a great coach.

She's younger but she has a more traditional approach to singing and performing.

She is not only a great singer, but she has an engaging personality. I think she would be amazing!
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is, "younger and fresher" is not cutting it any more. It's boring! Modern music is so stale and lacking personality. Everyone is so serious and trying to be sexy. Just have fun. Do we need another singer who over sings? Do we need another ballad singer? Do we need another pretty face dancing to average tunes? Contestants need to Stop being so serious!!

People moan about Tom Jones and say "he's not relevant anymore".. A guarantee his name and relevance will live on longer than all the other judges put together.

By "relevant" does that mean recent chart success or "stuff the kids buy"? If those are the requisites then in there lies the problem that "relevant" artists will be too busily preoccupied with their own career development and have very little to add to the show other than their name.

The "hasbeens" in terms of recording are still quite able to listen to and appreciate current music indeed they may have more time to do so. The basics of tuning, vocal health and stagecraft still apply which is a big part of mentoring.

I agree there is a lot more to Tom than just "Delilah" and "The green green grass of home". He has collaborated with many over the years and adapted and knows the highs and lows of the business. Furthermore I'd guess he connects with a high percentage of your typical "The Voice" audience.

All that said Tom was flailing somewhat on his last couple of seasons on the show. His voice and stage presence are definitely still all there but his comments were a bit wishy washy and he seemed a bit distant and disinterested. Unless he gets an injection of enthusiasm it wouldn't be right to bring him back.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said this before, but they need Skin from Skunk Anansie. She'd be a brilliant judge, and she's got the voice and the personality. She did X Factor Italy last year so is used to these kind of shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    By "relevant" does that mean recent chart success or "stuff the kids buy"? If those are the requisites then in there lies the problem that "relevant" artists will be too busily preoccupied with their own career development and have very little to add to the show other than their name.

The "hasbeens" in terms of recording are still quite able to listen to and appreciate current music indeed they may have more time to do so. The basics of tuning, vocal health and stagecraft still apply which is a big part of mentoring.

I agree there is a lot more to Tom than just "Delilah" and "The green green grass of home". He has collaborated with many over the years and adapted and knows the highs and lows of the business. Furthermore I'd guess he connects with a high percentage of your typical "The Voice" audience.

All that said Tom was flailing somewhat on his last couple of seasons on the show. His voice and stage presence are definitely still all there but his comments were a bit wishy washy and he seemed a bit distant and disinterested. Unless he gets an injection of enthusiasm it wouldn't be right to bring him back.

The current US Voice has Alicia Keys and Miley Cyrus. They could get more current artists if they allowed them to just do one season so they wouldn't have to give up touring for long. In fact, I think they should change judges every season to keep it fresh. I don't think being on the show should be a life long career opportunity for the judges, but more about helping the contestants.

A lot of older artists don't follow current music and in fact look down on it. Boy George is a perfect example. He made Cody sing Duran Duran when she had no interest in them and all of his song choices were older songs, nothing remotely current.
  • tivtiv Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Did he get sacked by the BBC though? Surely it would have been a production decision from Talpa/Wall to Wall in which case wouldn't he be going back to same production team?

No, ITV are taking over production themselves:

http://www.tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-voice/253914-itv-replace-voice-uks-production-company-takes.html
  • mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    I've said this before, but they need Skin from Skunk Anansie. She'd be a brilliant judge, and she's got the voice and the personality. She did X Factor Italy last year so is used to these kind of shows.

Skin is a fantastic choice but SA are touring soon for their 20th anniversary so it's unlikely she'd be available for filming.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    simey wrote: »

BIB my thoughts exactly
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiv wrote: »

Can't see Tom Jones wanting to do it if itv make it more dramatic, scripted etc. He's criticised their shows like the x factor for relying on "shock value".