Radio Downloader disabled

Comments

• LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bizzybee wrote: »
    The message posted by Matt Robinson on his website is confusing me somewhat:

"Following a request from the BBC, I have removed the Radio Downloader source and installers. They will return shortly minus the BBC Radio Provider plugin (e.g. the ability to download BBC Radio programmes)."

My understanding is that RD downloads ONLY BBC content..... so what would be the point of the RD source and installers returning "shortly minus the BBC Radio Provider plugin (e.g. the ability to download BBC Radio programmes)."?

What exactly will be RD's functionality if the BBC Radio Provider plugin is removed?
    It is also a podcast downloader, even without the BBC button.
  • LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Does this program simply record what is coming through your speakers anyway? This is pefectly legal as long as you don't share the resulting files (much like recording from the TV). It may be against T&C's but T&C's are not law, merely an agreement. The very worst that could happen if your caught is your BBC account is blocked. As soon as you distribute the files though, it is a crime.

Recording from PC speakers can be done live or from podcasts via lots of different software. I use Replay Music as it cuts tracks as well so is ideal for Spotify etc.
    No it requests a stream and rips it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    +1 to the thanks to Matt Robinson, easily the best program installed on my pc.

Does anyone have a recent copy of the source code? He's had to take it down as well, but there must be someone out there with a copy. Should be possible to get it working again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have RD version 0.26.2.0.... any good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I have switched to an alternative, and I think it's pretty spiffy!
    Have a look at get_iplayer Web PVR,
    https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/webpvr

It has a web based interface, opens in your browser.
    Works as a PVR, you can search for programmes, schedule recordings (of whole series even)
    get_iplayer_zpsaab7ff7f.jpg
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    This is pefectly legal as long as you don't share the resulting files (much like recording from the TV).

This is factually wrong.

Copying, by any means, is a civil tort unless you are recording a *broadcast* programme from a broadcast source (like the TV recording you mention). On-demand streaming isn't. There is no legal allowance in the UK for making a general copy whatsoever.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is general copy, compared to say, a particular copy?
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bah, I've just set up my downloading session to grab my missed weekend shows and it didn't work.

Followed the 'alternative' instructions above and now it does work! yay!

Just a quickie though, is there a quick way of getting audio only to save as mp3?

And thanks to Matt also from me, for a massiveley useful few years of use.
  • Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Get Iplayer simply record the stream (I am currently using Rarma Radio to do this) or does it run like RD in that it rips it and deposits a nice MP3 on your hard drive?
    Forum Member
    Jamie6767 wrote: »
    Does Get Iplayer simply record the stream (I am currently using Rarma Radio to do this) or does it run like RD in that it rips it and deposits a nice MP3 on your hard drive?
    It will rip anything which is listed on iplayer, radio to an MP3 or M4A, and telly to an MP4 and puts it in a iPlayer Recordings folder on your desktop.
    I run the PVR scheduler from the startup folder and have put a bookmark to the web PVR manager on my browser.
    I've added scheduled recordings set up for The News Quiz, Ramblings, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Tweet of the Day, Infinite Monkey Cage, The Life Scientific, Book at Bedtime and Tom Ravenscroft. They all seem to be recording OK, the scheduler just kicks in when I start my laptop up, much as Radio Downloader used to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    sickparrot wrote: »
    Bah, I've just set up my downloading session to grab my missed weekend shows and it didn't work.

Followed the 'alternative' instructions above and now it does work! yay!

Just a quickie though, is there a quick way of getting audio only to save as mp3?

And thanks to Matt also from me, for a massiveley useful few years of use.

Hi,
    from the command line box enter.....
    get_iplayer --prefs-add --aactomp3
    from then on all recordings should be converted to mp3, even in the Web PVR.
    You can check your preferences with.....
    get_iplayer --prefs-show

New to get_iplayer myself having relied on RD.
    Cheers,
    Dave
  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried to install get_iplayer but I get an error message when it tries to install Perl. The rest of the program installs OK but it obviously won't work because of the problem with Perl.

Is there anything I can do about this? (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a W7 32 bit user so curious about the installability of Get iPlayer too.
    Forum Member
    I have tried to install get_iplayer but I get an error message when it tries to install Perl.
    Did you use this install?
    http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe
    from,

Is PERL an option in your install?
    These are the options in my install,
    get_iplayer_install_zps36b03e91.jpg
    (Can't post pics in this forum?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will rip anything which is listed on iplayer, radio to an MP3 or M4A, and telly to an MP4 and puts it in a iPlayer Recordings folder on your desktop.
    I run the PVR scheduler from the startup folder and have put a bookmark to the web PVR manager on my browser.
    I've added scheduled recordings set up for The News Quiz, Ramblings, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Tweet of the Day, Infinite Monkey Cage, The Life Scientific, Book at Bedtime and Tom Ravenscroft. They all seem to be recording OK, the scheduler just kicks in when I start my laptop up, much as Radio Downloader used to.

Aren't nearly all of the above available as straightforward MP3 podcast downloads anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey Get_Iplayer isnt very easy to use is it!
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.hidownload.com/

I have this, its a great IP sniffer and downloader program... it does though cost $24.98 and works for the bbc radio programs...you can download a trial version...you can use it for radio programs and videos...
    Forum Member
    buglawton wrote: »
    Aren't nearly all of the above available as straightforward MP3 podcast downloads anyway?
    Quite probably, I've never got into that subscribing to podcast thingy... aren't they time limited or summat? I'm just happy with a program that shoves a bunch of mp3's into a folder on my Dropbox that I can listen to any old time on my phone/laptop/etc.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The web based interface of get_iplayer from here,
    might be a bit clunky, but it's a whole lot easier than the original command line interface.
    How do you know if it's downloading anything? It's downloaded several recordings of past shows but it seems to have come to a grinding halt.

I've tried the Run PVR tab but it insists that it is already running
    Forum Member
    Blimey Get_Iplayer isnt very easy to use is it!
    What problems are you having?
    This is how I roll...
    1. I fire up Web PVR Manager, it opens up a DOSbox where magic things happen, then it opens up the web interface in my browser (thankfully!).
    2. I go to the search tab, type in the name of the show I want in the search box (top left), then hit the Apply Settings button.
    3. Hopefully, the show I want will be in the list. If so, I click on Add Series in the Actions column, magic happens.
    4. If I click on the PVR List tab, the newly added show should show up in that list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave_rawle wrote: »
    Hi,
    from the command line box enter.....
    get_iplayer --prefs-add --aactomp3
    from then on all recordings should be converted to mp3, even in the Web PVR.
    You can check your preferences with.....
    get_iplayer --prefs-show

New to get_iplayer myself having relied on RD.
    Cheers,
    Dave

I cant seem to type anything in the command line box?

EDIT: Ah I think ive done it...!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What problems are you having?
    This is how I roll...
    1. I fire up Web PVR Manager, it opens up a DOSbox where magic things happen, then it opens up the web interface in my browser (thankfully!).
    2. I go to the search tab, type in the name of the show I want in the search box (top left), then hit the Apply Settings button.
    3. Hopefully, the show I want will be in the list. If so, I click on Add Series in the Actions column, magic happens.
    4. If I click on the PVR List tab, the newly added show should show up in that list.

Yes I think Im getting the hang of it. Just managed to get the whole week downloaded of Five Live Wake Up to Money - just got to get it to save in MP3 format now, hence my post above this one.

Nice!
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    How do you know if it's downloading anything? It's downloaded several recordings of past shows but it seems to have come to a grinding halt.

I've tried the Run PVR tab but it insists that it is already running
    Start>All Programs>get_iplayer>Run PVR Scheduler Now

A DOSbox will do magic things, have a read, it tell you what it is doing.
    Your files are downloaded to the iPlayer Recordings folder (on your desktop by default).
    Forum Member
    just got to get it to save in MP3 format now
    You can choose MP3 as an option for Remote Streaming type (on the Streaming sub-tab), dunno if that does it.
  • snowman2snowman2 Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I cant seem to type anything in the command line box?

EDIT: Ah I think ive done it...!

How did you manage to type in the DOS box? I can't get it to take anything.
    Also, are the downloaded files good to play for ever or do they expire after 30 days like the other stuff from iplayer?