Options

Subliminal messages popping up before adverts

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,314
    Forum Member
    Yh im worried about this and thank u OP for pointing it out because i never knew about this, and for those who are saying the messages are not subliminal as the tv people could be breaking the law,well dont be so surprised as who is letting these subliminal mesages through...? think about it and then come to a conclusion, yh what im saying may be wrong but i dont think its as blackand white as the messages being there just for a 'laugh'. oh and ive relaised that i have that aswell like a few weeks ago i was jus randomly thinking i wanted to watch the first pirates of the carabein (sp!) again and then like two weeks ago bbc showed it?! and i remembered it before the promo for the new movies started so it cant be that why i thought of it
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember what show it was that did this, but remember back in the late-'80s/early-'90s(?) when a kids' show on ITV had this big "Data Blast" at the end, designed for people with video recorders, where they would show many numerous screens of text, each one only for a few frames, for people to pause and frame-advance? That was a very fresh and novel idea at the time! :D
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    I can't remember what show it was that did this, but remember back in the late-'80s/early-'90s(?) when a kids' show on ITV had this big "Data Blast" at the end, designed for people with video recorders, where they would show many numerous screens of text, each one only for a few frames, for people to pause and frame-advance? That was a very fresh and novel idea at the time! :D

Bad Influence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ElMarko wrote: »
    They do, just not for a short time that would make them subliminal. IE one frame

A single frame is still clearly visible to the naked eye, so not subliminal. Genuinely subliminal messages are not possible on TV, and therefore not something to worry about or legislate against.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad Influence.

Yeah, that seems to ring a bell - thanks. :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bad Influence.
    Yeah, that seems to ring a bell - thanks. :)
    How2 had that.
  • Options
    NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    Yh im worried about this and thank u OP for pointing it out because i never knew about this, and for those who are saying the messages are not subliminal as the tv people could be breaking the law,well dont be so surprised as who is letting these subliminal mesages through...? think about it and then come to a conclusion, yh what im saying may be wrong but i dont think its as blackand white as the messages being there just for a 'laugh'. oh and ive relaised that i have that aswell like a few weeks ago i was jus randomly thinking i wanted to watch the first pirates of the carabein (sp!) again and then like two weeks ago bbc showed it?! and i remembered it before the promo for the new movies started so it cant be that why i thought of it

Don't be so paranoid. Rest assured that if the media were trying to program your mind you wouldn't even know they were doing it. It's just like the Silents in Doctor Who. You have nothing to worry about :D

degsyhufc wrote: »
    How2 had that.

As did Fist Of Fun, I think they put up comedy gig listings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    A single frame is still clearly visible to the naked eye, so not subliminal. Genuinely subliminal messages are not possible on TV, and therefore not something to worry about or legislate against.

Theyve already legislated against it, they arent allowed.

Subliminal messages dont have to be a single frame, they can be hidden in a background, hidden in the audio etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps. But that's rather outside the context of the post you quoted, isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps. But that's rather outside the context of the post you quoted, isn't it?

No, you said single frame messages arent subliminal and then said subliminal messages (which obviously dont mean single frames as youve just excluded them) are impossible to legislate against, thats clearly false because they have done exactly that.
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Netizen wrote: »
    As did Fist Of Fun, I think they put up comedy gig listings.

Yeah, among other things. They were great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, there is still no legislation against pedantry.
  • Options
    Paul89Paul89 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Fantastic! I've kept away from the forum for some time because I thought it was getting silly and boring and I check it out to find people being paranoid about Chuck Lorre's vanity cards!!

You really couldn't make this stuff up.

He's been doing it for years - there's even an archive here

Comedy Central just copied the idea (very very badly).

And no - it's not subliminal (otherwise people wouldn't read them, would they?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, there is still no legislation against pedantry.

its not pedantic, you said single frame messages are not subliminal. then proceeded to say theres no legislation against subliminal messages

So you cant be talking about single frame messages, thats a fact. You said so yourself. So you must be talking about other types.