Options

X Factor - Ratings Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    What do we really think XF could do to gain momentum?

Axing acts with real axes.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    You are really dull. Why do you seem so concerned about XF's ratings? Do you work for them?

At least it hasn't lost half of its viewers across the series like The Voice!

It's not a bloody ratings crisis - I seriously think you're trolling now. If it's a crisis, it's one the likes of Channel 4 & 5 would love to have.

Not half as dull as you and your obsession with stalking Samuel. Samuel posts in here occasionally as he has every right to do. If his posts offend you that much then put him on ignore.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    What do we really think XF could do to gain momentum?

Nothing, honestly. It will probably remain at this level for the rest of the live shows. Contrary to what people think however I don't think it will go much lower. The show has found its loyal audience now, it hit a real low last year in terms of public perception and there was no reason for people to keep watching unless they were actual fans of the show.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,227
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    Nothing, honestly. It will probably remain at this level for the rest of the live shows. Contrary to what people think however I don't think it will go much lower. The show has found its loyal audience now, it hit a real low last year in terms of public perception and there was no reason for people to keep watching unless they were actual fans of the show.

I suppose. For comparison, here's how the first live result show has done in previous years:

2004 - 7.5m
    2005 - 8.6m (38%)
    2006 - 7.0m (31%)
    2007 - 6.8m (33%)
    2008 - 8.02m (40.8%)
    2009 - 13.00m (46.4%)
    2010 - 13.14m (46.3%)
    2011 - 11.54m (41.1%) / 11.87m (42.3%)
    2012 - 9.42m (34.9%) / 9.61m (35.6%)

I think only 2009 and beyond is a fair comparison, as the others were late at night on Saturday.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful figure, its the least watched performance show since 2007, and when you consider that was broadcast at 5.30pm to 6.2m, it makes last night seem even worse. Its strange how this series seems to have started well but the wheels have well and truly come off. And now the question is, where do they go from here?

They desperately need to throw money at Simon and Cheryl to get them to return alongside Louis and Sharon. And maybe throw a bit of money at the overall production too. Last nights show felt incredibly stale and cliched and it is reflected in the ratings.

The other problem is, The Voice starts in 2 or 3 months and they've completely overhauled it, they also have Kylie Minogue. So if that manages to take off, X Factor will come off even worse next year unless they manage to do something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    Awful figure, its the least watched performance show since 2007, and when you consider that was broadcast at 5.30pm to 6.2m, it makes last night seem even worse. Its strange how this series seems to have started well but the wheels have well and truly come off. And now the question is, where do they go from here?

They desperately need to throw money at Simon and Cheryl to get them to return alongside Louis and Sharon. And maybe throw a bit of money at the overall production too. Last nights show felt incredibly stale and cliched and it is reflected in the ratings.

The other problem is, The Voice starts in 2 or 3 months and they've completely overhauled it, they also have Kylie Minogue. So if that manages to take off, X Factor will come off even worse next year unless they manage to do something.

The second live performance show is usually always lower than the first - so wouldn't be surprised to see it any lower. But, 7.8m isn't a good result, for what is meant to be one of the biggest shows here.

We were going on about the year-on-year decline being reversed, it doesn't look good now.

They devised the flash vote to get more people watching on the Saturday, and it just hasn't worked. They should just drop it and go with what they had done before. Last night's show would have finished at about 21:55 had they not done it.

I don't know what happened to the judges introducing their acts instead of Dermot. The studio looks small, and the camera angles reflect this. I don't like the huge monitors on the side either.

Some of 2007's shows were down to 6m, but the final managed to grow to 11m. That said, I think the way it's going at the moment, this series may end up rating lower than last series when the officials come out. It's following a similar trajectory to Britain's Got Talent where the auditions rate decently, but it almost falls apart when the live shows come about, though rebounds for the final.

A bit more press coverage around the acts may help it more but the show that preceded it did it no favours (although it did better than last week - 2.7m compared to 3.1m last night) - it needs a TV Burp-style warm-up show in that it'd pull in a similar rating to that in the region of 5-6m, and that audience (well, most of it) would stick around for X Factor.

What will XF do on Doctor Who night (23rd November)? Going by last night, clashing with it may lead to a 9-year low. They could move it to Sunday and run it 18:15-19:30 and 20:00-21:00.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think that it used to get high figures because it was unpredictable, but the focus to strip all of that back this year has still made it just seem like a run of the mill talent show. They need a car crash guest performance or something, hopefully they'll get Miley Cyrus on considering shes doing the American one.

It will be interesting to see how the results show does tonight and whether it rebounds or not. If it doesn't, then this series will probably head in a similar pattern to last year, ie downwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    I just think that it used to get high figures because it was unpredictable, but the focus to strip all of that back this year has still made it just seem like a run of the mill talent show. They need a car crash guest performance or something, hopefully they'll get Miley Cyrus on considering shes doing the American one.

It will be interesting to see how the results show does tonight and whether it rebounds or not. If it doesn't, then this series will probably head in a similar pattern to last year, ie downwards.

They have Cher on tonight but I don't think she's that much of a ratings draw that Britney once was - she boosted one of the late night result shows in 2008 to 10.7m (50%).

It does really have to be someone that's been in the public eye a lot recently. Miley is controversial at the moment - would she bring the viewers in?

I think Simon really needs to return, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    This thread is very amusing, reading back over the pages:

Huge enthusiasm for XF and confident predictions that it'll beat SCD. Then SCD beats XF so we see lots of justifications as to extraordinary circumstances that would make that possible - but it can have nothing to do with the quality of XF or ITV, and XF will be back on top like normal next week. Because of course it is only natural that XF should be the biggest show. Stands to reason.

The following week we see more confident predictions for XF to beat SCD. And then SCD beat them again. Cue lots of excuses and analysis of the actual audience make up to find an audience group that a) posters fit into and b) beat SCD. But not to worry, XF will be back next week because it was raining in Nantwich this week which is why the audience was low etc.

Then the next show comes and more confident predictions - and SCD wins again. Cue more excuses and complaints of 'unfair comparisons' with other years due to various reasons. And then, startlingly, claims that top line ratings figures don't actually matter because it isn't a competition anyway etc! This is despite there being a 51 page X Factor ratings thread devoted to celebrating XF victories over SCD....

The whole BBC v ITV Saturday night fight has been going on since 1955, but Simon Cowell ramped it up, with XF releasing endless PR pieces and celebratory press releases crowing his success. They made it personal - attacking the BBC audience demographic, the presenters and making jokes about Brucie's age and imminent death.

Well now SCD is definitively winning. The narrative of XF has been success and bigger every year - well you can't now say 'actually it's not fair to compare it to a particular year etc...'.

XF is losing. I also think this will be Brucie's cue to quit - quit while you're ahead. So next year XF will be up against SCD headed by someone that doesn't make people groan and reach for the sick bucket. SCD has always remained fairly constant - XF is constantly changing and the danger for them is that any attempt an analysis and another revamp will turn off even more viewers. ITV need to think of something else. Fast.
  • Options
    MandyXZMandyXZ Posts: 86,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading the outrage on twitter and the X Factor facebook page, these figures don't surprise me one little bit.

Throwing out Melanie McCabe was a huge mistake. I, myself was looking forward to seeing how much she would progress in the lives, but when she didn't make it, my enthusiasm for the show went very flat. Last night for the first time ever, I was no longer interested in watching the start of the lives.

They threw out some good talent last week hence why I'm glad the show received low ratings today. If you're gonna throw good talent out and keep the crap.....well, they deserve all they get.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Tonight should see a boost as it has a Corrie lead in.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member

Huge enthusiasm for XF and confident predictions that it'll beat SCD. Then SCD beats XF so we see lots of justifications as to extraordinary circumstances that would make that possible - but it can have nothing to do with the quality of XF or ITV, and XF will be back on top like normal next week. Because of course it is only natural that XF should be the biggest show. Stands to reason.

The following week we see more confident predictions for XF to beat SCD. And then SCD beat them again. Cue lots of excuses and analysis of the actual audience make up to find an audience group that a) posters fit into and b) beat SCD. But not to worry, XF will be back next week because it was raining in Nantwich this week which is why the audience was low etc.

Then the next show comes and more confident predictions - and SCD wins again. Cue more excuses and complaints of 'unfair comparisons' with other years due to various reasons. And then, startlingly, claims that top line ratings figures don't actually matter because it isn't a competition anyway etc! This is despite there being a 51 page X Factor ratings thread devoted to celebrating XF victories over SCD....

The whole BBC v ITV Saturday night fight has been going on since 1955, but Simon Cowell ramped it up, with XF releasing endless PR pieces and celebratory press releases crowing his success. They made it personal - attacking the BBC audience demographic, the presenters and making jokes about Brucie's age and imminent death.

Well now SCD is definitively winning. The narrative of XF has been success and bigger every year - well you can't now say 'actually it's not fair to compare it to a particular year etc...'.

XF is losing. I also think this will be Brucie's cue to quit - quit while you're ahead. So next year XF will be up against SCD headed by someone that doesn't make people groan and reach for the sick bucket. SCD has always remained fairly constant - XF is constantly changing and the danger for them is that any attempt an analysis and another revamp will turn off even more viewers. ITV need to think of something else. Fast.
    Excellent post!
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, this is a calamity.

They started off being up on last year, so people were willing to give them a chance.

They have now pissed that chance up the wall, and are now being annihilated by a show they were once able to beat by 3 million viewers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member

Huge enthusiasm for XF and confident predictions that it'll beat SCD. Then SCD beats XF so we see lots of justifications as to extraordinary circumstances that would make that possible - but it can have nothing to do with the quality of XF or ITV, and XF will be back on top like normal next week. Because of course it is only natural

XF should be the biggest show. Stands to reason.

Great post!
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful ,catastrophic ratings it'll be down to 5 million soon. They think the controversy of kicking out the bet acts actually increases the ratings but surely the reality is with the best acts in the ratings would be better?

They also need to sort out the dreadful sound problems (watch American Idol to see how you do it) both TXF and TXF USA suffer from this horrible echoey sound? I can't work out what it is....I think it's overpowering backing tracks being played over them, AI don't have these.

The production in general with the silly Kylie Minogue style x 100 dancers they have on stage for every act is so 2011.

SCD has continually improved it's production, costumes etc in recent years and still looks fresh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Let's be honest, this is a calamity.

They started off being up on last year, so people were willing to give them a chance.

They have now pissed that chance up the wall, and are now being annihilated by a show they were once able to beat by 3 million viewers.

They did have the chance to boost the ratings a bit when the lives started but they didn't take it.

The Corrie lead-in and Cher's appearance will help it tonight but it can only really decline slightly next week if it had to.
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful ,catastrophic ratings it'll be down to 5 million soon. They think the controversy of kicking out the bet acts actually increases the ratings but surely the reality is with the best acts in the ratings would be better?

They also need to sort out the dreadful sound problems (watch American Idol to see how you do it) both TXF and TXF USA suffer from this horrible echoey sound? I can't work out what it is....I think it's overpowering backing tracks being played over them, AI don't have these.

The production in general with the silly Kylie Minogue style x 100 dancers they have on stage for every act is so 2011.

SCD has continually improved it's production, costumes etc in recent years and still looks fresh.

That is a very over the top post. I would not call it catastrophic. it still peeked at over 9m. some shows would love that.

and tonight will peek at 10-11m
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent post.

I think what you say about Simon and his cronies attacking Strictly is very true, they went way, way too far in what they said and did. Any rivalry between the two shows should have been light hearted and jokey. Wishing people dead is exceptionally unpleasant, but then Simon is a narcissist and that's what they do.

More and more with every passing year the X Factor reminds me of that old Arnie film "The Running Man", they take themselves so bloody seriously like its a matter of life and death when it's not, it just Saturday night light entertainment.

This will always be where Strictly trumps them because it has never pretended to be anything other than complete fluff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is a very over the top post. I would not call it catastrophic. it still peeked at over 9m. some shows would love that.

But realistically, it shouldn't have been down on last week, despite the fact the clash with Strictly was exactly the same length as last week, and it got a higher figure last week!

To put things into context, a result show in 2008 got 7.87m (39.7%) at 22:10, peaking with 9.07m (46.7%) at 22:45. Look at the audience it managed to hold onto that late at night, never mind having a higher rating than last night's performance show. :o

It MAY peak at 10m but you can't hide the fact it's not doing as well as it should, considering the auditions were up year on year.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PEAK

PEAK

PEAK
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    might be talking complete nonsense here but does anyone wonder if last night's theme was a reaction to concerns about ratings and given how well an act like chris Maloney did last year with cheesey ballads an attempt to appeal to that demographic
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    They have Cher on tonight but I don't think she's that much of a ratings draw that Britney once was - she boosted one of the late night result shows in 2008 to 10.7m (50%).

It does really have to be someone that's been in the public eye a lot recently. Miley is controversial at the moment - would she bring the viewers in?

I think Simon really needs to return, though.

The Britney effect was very much a rarity, due to her very high profile dramas that dominated the press throughout 2007 and 2008. She was the biggest star in the world for all the wrong reasons. I actually put off going out until after it aired so I could watch. :o There is nobody who currently compares.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    The Britney effect was very much a rarity, due to her very high profile dramas that dominated the press throughout 2007 and 2008. She was the biggest star in the world for all the wrong reasons. I actually put off going out until after it aired so I could watch. :o There is nobody who currently compares.

Not even Miley?
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I somehow doubt there is anything to stop the decline. Maybe Simon coming back would help but after a few weeks that would wear off.
    Its 10 years old so its only natural a show declines but I don't think they have helped themselves. Some dubious choices of acts to go thru and then to be saved. The suggestion a producer told judges how to vote etc.....
    Its interesting that none of the former judges have ever said much. Their contracts must be so watertight its untrue.
    Maybe try having less singers in the live shows. Keep it to one hour. Last night was far too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A show of over 2 hours hasn't harmed it in the past so it must be down to viewers not warming to the acts yet.