how many times a day should a dog be walked?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i have a 5 year old jack russell and i walk her once a day for half an hour, today i mentioned it to someone at college and they said it was cruel and not enoegh exercise! how many times a day do you walk your dogs?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog gets half an hour very early morning, because my Dad leaves for work at 7am. When I get home from school I give her a run in the park for about half an hour, and then in the evening, about nine-ish, she gets to mosey about by the river for ten minutes.

:)

At the weekends, my Dad takes her out for anything up to three hours, sometimes longer. So she gets a lot of exercise... but I'm not sure that's actually good for her, because she's always tired. :o
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a lot of walking! This is why I can't have a dog, difficult when I work full time, then I have my children to see to in the evening!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, how long's a piece of String?

You could walk your Dog perpetually forever and they'd keep going with you all the way. A Walk once a day for half an hour is more than enough really.

Don't listen to the morons saying it's "Cruel." I bet they don't even have a Dog in the first place to even begin to comment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    my dog gets walked by my mum in the mornings on weekends, and through the week my mums uncle who lives locally comes every day, about 3 differnet times and takes him off for a hour or so each time. in the summer, i'll start walking him on my days off too, he's a bit lazy at the moment though, when the weather is horrible sometimes he refuses to even get off the sofa.
  • Pickled TinkPickled Tink Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :sleep:It's been a long day. I just read the title and thought it said: "how many times a day should a dog be w*nked.":o:o

Think it's time for tea and bed!!!
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kit123 wrote: »
    i have a 5 year old jack russell and i walk her once a day for half an hour, today i mentioned it to someone at college and they said it was cruel and not enoegh exercise! how many times a day do you walk your dogs?

We have a 4 yr old jack and an 18mth old cross breed.

They have 2 big 30/40 min walks each day and 4 smaller walks.

Me and my OH have had to drastically change our working hrs/routines since we got them:)
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    JR's have only got short legs, they don't need as much as some other dogs. You'd know if she wasn't getting enough cos her behaviour would be off. I expect she'd enjoy a longer walk in good weather at the w/e, but as long as she loves you and doesn't bark incessantly and get snappy, I'm sure she's OK.
    I assume she must have access to outdoors anyway, or your house would be full of dog crap...
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :sleep:It's been a long day. I just read the title and thought it said: "how many times a day should a dog be w*nked.":o:o

Think it's time for tea and bed!!!

Tsk tsk, someone's got their mind elsewhere eh! :D
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every dog is different. We have two cocker spaniels that get a twenty minute walk in the morning, same about three and then again about ten. The get taken hillwalking at the weekend and they sleep most of Monday. I have to say though that the breeder we got them from said if you take spaniels on a three mile walk all you're doing is training them for a four mile walk. I guess most dogs would walk all the time if they could.

By contrast a lady we see onour local dog walks has a Westie which gets 10 minutes in the morning and ten minutes at night and seems perfectly happy. it does however wander in and out it's garden for wee's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol butterfly84 how did i know someone would think that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    Tsk tsk, someone's got their mind elsewhere eh! :D

:o:o:o:o:o Sorry I'll try and remove it from the gutter.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValLambert wrote: »
    By contrast a lady we see onour local dog walks has a Westie which gets 10 minutes in the morning and ten minutes at night and seems perfectly happy. it does however wander in and out it's garden for wee's.
    I used to meet a Westie when I went out hillwalking, and it bounded through the rocks and heather and seemed to enjoy itself enormously. Its owner was one of the organisers for the local search and rescue group.

As you say, all dogs are different.

There's a hilly field that I can see from my kitchen window, and it's popular with the local doggy persons. Some of them have groups of two or three dogs, and it's great to see the dogs belting up and down the hill using up lots of energy. It looks much more fun for both dogs and owners than a prim and proper walk along a pavement! I should think fifteen minutes of that would use up more canine energy than an hour of more sedate walking!
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I used to meet a Westie when I went out hillwalking, and it bounded through the rocks and heather and seemed to enjoy itself enormously. Its owner was one of the organisers for the local search and rescue group.

As you say, all dogs are different.

There's a hilly field that I can see from my kitchen window, and it's popular with the local doggy persons. Some of them have groups of two or three dogs, and it's great to see the dogs belting up and down the hill using up lots of energy. It looks much more fun for both dogs and owners than a prim and proper walk along a pavement! I should think fifteen minutes of that would use up more canine energy than an hour of more sedate walking!

I know. Our dog training club has a pic of a Westie almost on the top of Ben Nevis. I think the little dogs are hardier than most people give them credit, especially since most were bred as little working dogs.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the dog to a park or piece of open space, along with a tennis racket and a ball.
    Whack the ball as far as you can, and get the dog to retrieve it.

Do this 5 or 6 times until the dog is tired, then go home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol butterfly84 how did i know someone would think that?

I'm sorry to lower the tone of the thread but I thought you all might like to know what I thought:p

Also I can't actually contribute to your thread as I don't own a dog:D:D:D
  • i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the breed of dog...I have a 3 1/2 yr old Border Collie and he has 40mins in morning after the school run, 40mins at lunchtime, 40mins after school (all playing with his ball in park) and a 20 min walk before bed and he is as happy as larry.

We had a CKCS and she only needed a quick 20mins in morning and same at night.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a 10 year old Border Collie.

We walk for at least 45 mins (yomp, not stroll) first thing in the morning, then we have what I call a 'functional' walk around tea time for about 20 mins - (poop & ball fetching)

All dogs are different. Don't stress about it. If your dog is happy and healthy you must be doing the right thing for her/ him.

I can definitely recommend ball play though. Our dog came to us two years ago, but it was once he'd learned to play that we really had some fun! I try to keep our long walk just walking, but the afternoon one functional and fun!
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog often walks himself. We live in the country side with lots of open space and we have a substantial piece of land.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    It all depends on the breed of dog...I have a 3 1/2 yr old Border Collie and he has 40mins in morning after the school run, 40mins at lunchtime, 40mins after school (all playing with his ball in park) and a 20 min walk before bed and he is as happy as larry.

Blimey - when do you get time to do anything else.
    :eek:

I have an 18month old dobie and a 4 year old Rottie. Today they haven't been walked beacuse last night they had a 35 minute hill run. They have spent the afternoon pottering in the garden.:)

They get on average of 4 hours walking a week - and they are both in prime condition and are now snoozing happily

TBH the more you walk a dog the more you have to walk it - I made that mistake with the Rottie when she was young and she kept injuring herself so I gradually reduced her 'cardio' exercise time.
  • KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    One walk per day doesn't really seem like a lot but if your dog seems happy and isn't crying at the door to get out for the toilet then I guess thats what works for her. :)
  • rachelb65rachelb65 Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If she is also allowed out in the garden for pees and poos regularly then that's fine. Are you sure they understood you ? Maybe they thought that you are only taking her for a toilet once a day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum's dog doesn't get walked at all really because she's petrified of the outdoors, although we've got a big enough garden for her to run around in for a few hours and always someone to play with out there. Ideally she'd go out more and we're slowly trying to get her used to the idea.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    JR's have only got short legs, they don't need as much as some other dogs. You'd know if she wasn't getting enough cos her behaviour would be off. I expect she'd enjoy a longer walk in good weather at the w/e, but as long as she loves you and doesn't bark incessantly and get snappy, I'm sure she's OK.
    I assume she must have access to outdoors anyway, or your house would be full of dog crap...

Unofrtunately leg size hadsnothing to do with how much a dog needs to be walked, a dog like a jack russell should at least be having 2 x 30 min walks and some off lead time, terriers need the exercise and stimulation to keep them occupied they were not bred to be lazy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This depends... most working breeds (especially terriers that are used for hunting, collies that are used for sheep herding) have bounds of energy and lots of stamina, so they 'do' require exercise - though this word is easily misinterpreted, playing with your dog for 20mins is the equivilent of walking it for 1hr, yet a lot of people seem to be under the illusion that walking dogs is the b all and end all, besides... playing with a dog gives it a better cardio workout than walking at a human's pace, get throwing a ball for it for 20-40mins a day and the 30min walk is more than sufficient!! ;)
  • CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree - greyhounds really only need 20 mins in the morning and 20 mins at night as they're sprint dogs/lazy :D However ours gets a good 45 minutes speed walk in the morning and then another half an hour at night during the week. At the weekends she'll often get another hour long walk in the afternoon...A tired dog is a happy dog :)