Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a school of thought that January's a good month - less competition and a post-Christmas boredom. Not to mention a better chance of a good long high chart position stay. Can't see it as being better than pre-Christmas myself.

I think that would be disastrous for pure sales. January people are tapped out from spending on holiday gifts and travel, and have to recover. If they have to push it out to Q1 then better later. However if they have to go that route they have to find something to perform so they arent hiding in a bunker and can maintain a presence.
  • luner_45luner_45 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    They could always pull a 5H and release an EP composed of 4-5 new tracks and then release the album at a later date. It would ease the stress of tons of promo because it will be just an EP, also they're cheaper and less costly for a label to make. It could bring in much of their UK sales in the November/December months. Once the album is released, iTunes should have that "Complete my album option" which should allow those who purchased the EP to buy the album at a cheaper price(This of course would mean the 4-5 tracks of the EP is also apart of the album itself.) Ideally if 5H didn't scrap their original bubblegum pop album this might have been the case for them. Fortunately Fan response was received and that resulted in the album being scrapped in favour for a more RnB/Urban orientated album and the fact USA market was not being here for bubblegum pop girl groups.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has an established act ever done the EP thing? I've only known of ones just starting out. LM already has 2 albums under their belt so it might be seen as a step backwards, although the trend does seem to be away from albums due to cherry picking.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Has an established act ever done the EP thing? I've only known of ones just starting out. LM already has 2 albums under their belt so it might be seen as a step backwards, although the trend does seem to be away from albums due to cherry picking.

Miley Cyrus' 'Party In The USA' came from an EP also Paramore released an EP after some members left and they wanted to find a new sound which featured their single for a Transformers movie.

But I think LM missed their chance to release an EP. I think DNA, Madhouse, Make You Believe, Case Closed and Pretend Its OK should have been on a separate EP, they make the album really uncohesive although they're good tracks.
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miley Cyrus' 'Party In The USA' came from an EP also Paramore released an EP after some members left and they wanted to find a new sound which featured their single for a Transformers movie.

But I think LM missed their chance to release an EP. I think DNA, Madhouse, Make You Believe, Case Closed and Pretend Its OK should have been on a separate EP, they make the album really uncohesive although they're good tracks.

They weren't going for a cohesive first album though. It was all a mixture of different sounds as they had no clear pathway of what they wanted to create, so just did a little bit of everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This sounds like a hole to me.

Maybe that's how you interpret lol. But from that, they could have a few single choices but haven't heard anything they want to lead with.

That doesn't seem like a "hole" to me. I find it sensible in fact. When you write and have involvement in your album, you tend to nitpick a lot.

I say it again, they could just show up at the studio, add vocals then leave. As some do. But that's not how they do things, thankfully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that's how you interpret lol. But from that, they could have a few single choices but haven't heard anything they want to lead with.

That doesn't seem like a "hole" to me.

A hole is an absence of something. So if they havent written the lead single yet, and/or they dont think anything they have at hand is lead single worthy, they still dont have a lead single. Of course they arent going to go with just anything, but that doesnt make something magically appear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hole is an absence of something. So if they havent written the lead single yet, and/or they dont think anything they have at hand is lead single worthy, they still dont have a lead single. Of course they arent going to go with just anything, but that doesnt make something magically appear.

Still a slight exaggeration though. But I get you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was responding to
    Well I hope a portion of the 'it's not finished' stuff today is about them having not completed recording rather than having empty album space where tracks should be.

Its not like they dont have some songs. There are the ones they were really into on IG and that Tebey guy even said there were some good songs he knew about on the album. I'm actually surprised that one with Glynne they were so enthused about they arent considering to lead.
  • old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was responding to

Its not like they dont have some songs. There are the ones they were really into on IG and that Tebey guy even said there were some good songs he knew about on the album. I'm actually surprised that one with Glynne they were so enthused about they arent considering to lead.
    Probably because they don't have writing credits on it???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that would be disastrous for pure sales. January people are tapped out from spending on holiday gifts and travel, and have to recover. If they have to push it out to Q1 then better later.
    Ahhh, the inexact science that is music marketing. :D
    Someone's got to sell in the doldrum periods, so should I go then and get what money is about, or wait until there's more money about and more product in competition?
    As with any niche - things make a living out of the inbetweens. If everybody goes for later in the Q, then there's an opportunity by not doing so.
    Has an established act ever done the EP thing? I've only known of ones just starting out. it might be seen as a step backwards, although the trend does seem to be away from albums due to cherry picking.
    And another niche ... You could argue that doing the EP route is presenting something slightly different. Time was the charts were full of EPs - some as tasters for the LP, some as stopgaps between albums to keep in the public view. In fact in the late 50s/early 60s many LPs were issued as a series of EPs also, and you'd often get both in the charts at once. Perhaps there's a marketing ploy there, although it doesn't really fit with download culture and would more likely result in diluting sales across media.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd quite like it if the girls just pushed back at this ridiculous Syco album-per-year schedule and pushed back the release to early next year. If it meant getting superior music rather than a rushed mess to make sure they release in an already ridiculously crowded month, then they should go for it. They'd get a top three album for sure, lol; they could release two singles beforehand and maybe we'd be lucky enough to get a simultaneous worldwide release instead of this staggered crap.

A girl can dream, can't she?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    Probably because they don't have writing credits on it???

Eh? They will though, they were creating that one from the ground up.
    Someone's got to sell in the doldrum periods, so should I go then and get what money is about, or wait until there's more money about and more product in competition

My aunt always said, better to have the worst house in the best neighborhood than the best house in the worst neighborhood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'd quite like it if the girls just pushed back at this ridiculous Syco album-per-year schedule and pushed back the release to early next year. If it meant getting superior music rather than a rushed mess to make sure they release in an already ridiculously crowded month, then they should go for it.
    Absolutely the most sensible post about the subject .. it's a top-notch spot-on analysis from an amateur.
    *claps as enthusiastically as you can without hurting*
    take a bow Mina ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A girl can dream, can't she?

My dream would be they'd release NFLY as a single in exchange for delaying the next album.

I remember floating the idea of taking longer between albums and people said they would lose short attention span fans. Has that changed?
  • jacket_jacket_ Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Jade said that they have the majority of the songs written but they still need to be recorded. (Although she also said, that they are half way there? But that could refer to the recording part, hopefully.)

https://soundcloud.com/little-mix/message-from-jade-x
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely the most sensible post about the subject .. it's a top-notch spot-on analysis from an amateur.
    *claps as enthusiastically as you can without hurting*
    take a bow Mina ....

*Elvis voice* thank you, thank you very much. Aha!
    My dream would be they'd release NFLY as a single in exchange for delaying the next album.

I remember floating the idea of taking longer between albums and people said they would lose short attention span fans. Has that changed?

Probably still true. The majority of their fans have been bred on this kind of deadly Syco-style/pop schedule so it's likely they have the attention span of small hamsters. That said, if LM released two really good singles while they got their act together and then put out an absolute banger of a single with the album, it won't matter much.
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO Q1, 2 & 3 are so poor sales wise I wouldn't entertain it for a UK release. I would love them to release new material every other Q4 and give themselves more time to release more singles, to visit more countries, to tour more and to give themselves longer to record the material for the next album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to find an article(s) from earlier when Leigh-Anne was quoted saying the album would happen when it happens but they would definitely have a single out by year's end. Anyone else remember that? It seems prophetic. Could they do a buzz single?
  • RayforeverRayforever Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    jacket_ wrote: »
    Jade said that they have the majority of the songs written but they still need to be recorded. (Although she also said, that they are half way there? But that could refer to the recording part, hopefully.)

https://soundcloud.com/little-mix/message-from-jade-x

Winter Also mean a new album COULD be coming soon.

I kind of get the feeling the album wont be this year and maybe early next year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Why is 5H a factor? As far as I'm concerned LM have a stronghold in the UK right now.

They have built great connections with radios stations etc. Why 5H is being brought here, I do not know.

As a rock guy/fan you should have more patience than this lol.

Both groups are in the same small niche market, now have roughly the same active fan base size, and both are planning to release their albums close to the same time, presumably worldwide. How can 5H not be a factor? Their name is bound to come up from time to time as both groups are competing for the same market share, media attention, and are likely to cross paths more and more in the coming months. Your disdain for 5H is apparent but keep in mind, this is a discussion thread, not an appreciation thread.

"...right now" is the appropriate way to phrase it. 5H are already up for an MTV EMA. a great lead single/record and a stronghold in the UK may not be enough. Better hope they have a stranglehold because 5H will be coming for that market, Simon will see to that.

As far as Simon's comments from the other day, which is why so many here and on social media platforms have concern right now, I personally don't put a lot of stock in them. His words may come true but as of yet 5H haven't released any music to support his assertions. To me it just sounded like wishful thinking. Even if he does feel there's a hit single coming, it's still up to the general public to decide and they can be fickle.

I agree with the need for patience, from both teams. Both groups need a hit single to promote their albums and neither should release until they're sure they have it. The opportunity costs are far greater releasing too soon rather than later. That said, 5H pushed their album release date to 12/16 and went back in the studio this past weekend to record at least three more tracks. Sounds like they're struggling to find that big hit as well. Interesting times ahead!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks if 5th Harmony become successful in the UK they harm one girl group and that girl group would be The Saturdays, not Little Mix. LM are the most successful current girl group so if they were to be damaged by 5H success it would be directly down to Simon pushing them out, both groups are different enough that they should be able to co-exist easily and even use their girl group friendly rivalry to help gain attention and sales. We have to see if the UK take to 5H first though, but I'm more worried for The Saturdays at this point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rayforever wrote: »
    Winter Also mean a new album COULD be coming soon.

I kind of get the feeling the album wont be this year and maybe early next year

Sure sounds like it to me. Since I follow them also out of curiousity for the mechanics of the business this will be interesting to watch. I assume their promo and schedule will be thrown into disarray if their team cant follow the old playbook.

I was heartily amused at Jade's disdain for Summer. She wouldnt admit its because she cant wear her beloved green parka.

I think people are getting ahead with 5H. I assume BO$$ was meant to be the big lead single but it didnt have the home country impact the label wanted so they're back in the studio with an album delay. I really question that brand before band strategy of the studio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity, what TV promo is still around in Q1? Is Alan Carr, Graham Norton, Jonathon Ross etc all finished with?

I'm mainly sad if they miss out on TOTP specials, but hopefully they'll get a single out by the end of November if nothing else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsDirect wrote: »
    Both groups are in the same small niche market, now have roughly the same active fan base size, and both are planning to release their albums close to the same time, presumably worldwide. How can 5H not be a factor? Their name is bound to come up from time to time as both groups are competing for the same market share, media attention, and are likely to cross paths more and more in the coming months. Your disdain for 5H is apparent but keep in mind, this is a discussion thread, not an appreciation thread.

"...right now" is the appropriate way to phrase it. 5H are already up for an MTV EMA. a great lead single/record and a stronghold in the UK may not be enough. Better hope they have a stranglehold because 5H will be coming for that market, Simon will see to that.

We'll see how successful they are though. Bo$$ won't cut it in the UK.

Way too US urban hood-pop. Similar to why Danity Kane didn't do well here either.

The main focus here should always be Little Mix. Some posters just love to bring 5H here, to boast or to wind up.

Well done on their EMA nomination for Best US Act. :)
This discussion has been closed.