Did Only Fools And Horses have a weak episode?

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there was one ep in series six that was hard to suspend disbelief as Rodney was supposed to be 14. Didn't really succeed in that the rest were class.
    I actually like that episode! Especially the 'groovy gang' bit. Agree that it was a bit implausible that Rodney could be 14, but that is what made it funny in my view. The fact that they could have been millionaires, if it wasnt for Del doctoring Rodney's passport to make it look like he was 14, was a good twist.
  • fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourites happen to be 'Mother Natures Son', it was the first OFAH episode I ever watched :D what does everyone think of this episode? Judging by the comments made on here, it doesn't seem to be particularly popular
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the BIB, although I think 'The Second Time Around' was one of the best episodes, and that happens to be in Series One :)

Yes, that was the best episode by far from 1, especially this part

http://youtu.be/2utZUkyEWko

:D
  • fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Yes, that was the best episode by far from 1, especially this part

http://youtu.be/2utZUkyEWko

:D

Haha thats hilarous :D That episode should have got more recognition to be honest, very underrated :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I used to think the first half of series 1 was really weak, but I watched Big Brother back recently and Grandad just destroyed me, both with the Sidney Poitier gag and the cheeseburger/emperor burger debate. But honestly, I don't think there's a single episode that you could really class as weak. For sure, some are better than others, but I haven't seen one that doesn't make enjoyable viewing. Series 6 in particular is flawless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella28 wrote: »
    I don't remember that one.

Cassandra and Rodney are constantly arguing. Cassandra's preoccupied with the bank and Rodney's feeling neglected - wants his meals on the table, that sort of thing. Mickey Pearce suggests Rodney makes Cassandra jealous by being seen out and about with other girls so Rodney plans to do so. Del tries to persuade Rodney to apologise and talk things over with Cassandra and tells Cassandra about the girl Rodney plans to take our assuring her that its only to make her jealous. Rodney makes an emotional call to Del thanking him for his advice and telling him hes had a change of heart. Trouble is, the damage has already been done. Even though Cass knows Rodney was going to take a girl out to make her jealous the fact that he was planning to take a girl out at all is enough to make her see red and she locks Rodney out of the house. Unusual in that the programme ends without the usual signature music. More sit than com. Del and Racquel as a couple are more captivating than Rodney and Cassandra and could be why this episode feels a bit flat.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The specials and the later ones after they got rich were all dreadful in my opinion. The early ones were superb though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourites happen to be 'Mother Natures Son', it was the first OFAH episode I ever watched :D what does everyone think of this episode? Judging by the comments made on here, it doesn't seem to be particularly popular

Haven't seen it for a while but from what I can remember not one of the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    The specials and the later ones after they got rich were all dreadful in my opinion. The early ones were superb though.

The specials were a bit hit and miss but I'd say that Dates and Time on our Hands were classics. Jolly Boys' Outing and Fatal Extraction were the best of the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    What's everyone's favourite Series overall? For me Series 6 didnt have a weak episode and like ive said probably 6 of the finest episodes there will ever be of a TV comedy. After that I have to say its Series 2, again pretty much every episode is of great quality with the painting of the chinese takeaway being one of my favs

So my order of favourite Series

1-Series 6
    2-Series 2
    3-Series 3
    4-Series 7
    5-Series 4
    6-Series 5
    7-Series 1

Don't really have a favourite series - would rather cherry pick episodes from different series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Cassandra and Rodney are constantly arguing. Cassandra's preoccupied with the bank and Rodney's feeling neglected - wants his meals on the table, that sort of thing. Mickey Pearce suggests Rodney makes Cassandra jealous by being seen out and about with other girls so Rodney plans to do so. Del tries to persuade Rodney to apologise and talk things over with Cassandra and tells Cassandra about the girl Rodney plans to take our assuring her that its only to make her jealous. Rodney makes an emotional call to Del thanking him for his advice and telling him hes had a change of heart. Trouble is, the damage has already been done. Even though Cass knows Rodney was going to take a girl out to make her jealous the fact that he was planning to take a girl out at all is enough to make her see red and she locks Rodney out of the house. Unusual in that the programme ends without the usual signature music. More sit than com. Del and Racquel as a couple are more captivating than Rodney and Cassandra and could be why this episode feels a bit flat.

Still don't remember it.
    I'll have to see if it's online.
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    I actually like that episode! Especially the 'groovy gang' bit. Agree that it was a bit implausible that Rodney could be 14, but that is what made it funny in my view. The fact that they could have been millionaires, if it wasnt for Del doctoring Rodney's passport to make it look like he was 14, was a good twist.

Me too! I posted about this episode earlier, but I can't remember the name.
    I forgot about them winning the Spanish Lottery.
    I though he was 11, but I haven't watched it in years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too! I posted about this episode earlier, but I can't remember the name.
    I forgot about them winning the Spanish Lottery.
    I though he was 11, but I haven't watched it in years.

Am certain it's:

The Unlucky Winner is..

But am not 100%
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am certain it's:

The Unlucky Winner is..

But am not 100%
    You are correct. :)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To Hull and Back. Just don't enjoy it.

Don't like ones about Rodney and Cassandra because the actress playing her is terrible and they never seemed to be happy together, it really dragged everything down.

I do like the latest ones except for Damian, it was excruciating how they had him talking in a fake Jamaican accent or saying ridiculous phrases. Maybe it was funny to the older generation but it wasn't to me, someone who actually did grow up in SE London and knew what the writers were aiming for but didn't quite reach.

I think Damian is one of the things that ruins the final trilogy. He's not funny, just loathesome, and you want to see someone kick his a**e.

Disagree about Cassandra though. I think Gwyneth Strong was a very good actress, and had a good comic touch when needed though she was mainly the straight woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still don't remember it.
    I'll have to see if it's online.

I've looked and I don't think it is - just clips of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Damian is one of the things that ruins the final trilogy. He's not funny, just loathesome, and you want to see someone kick his a**e.

Disagree about Cassandra though. I think Gwyneth Strong was a very good actress, and had a good comic touch when needed though she was mainly the straight woman.

Agree 100% about Damien. Not so sure about Cassandra - she seemed a bit too upper class to be in OFAH. I know that was her character but even when she was given good lines it didn't always come across very well which I can only put down to Gwyneth Strong's acting. I felt sometimes that she was reading the script off a cue card - same with Tessa Peake-Jones when she was telling Del she was pregnant (maybe it was meant to convey shock but it just came across as though she were reading it off a script). Most of the time however she was much more convincing than Gwyneth Strong and her character was more suited to the programme. Cassandra seemed to me to be a character that should have been in some middle class sitcom like My Family. Some people seem to think the program started going downhill when Cass and Racquel were introduced but that could be because (acting ability aside) they didn't get many good lines and often seemed to be there just to show how Del and Rodney were evolving. At least with Stage Fright Racquel was seen to be more than just Del's wife.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Id of said its the writers fault.
    Forum Member
    Am certain it's:

The Unlucky Winner is..

But am not 100%

That's it. Thank you. :)
    Forum Member
    I've looked and I don't think it is - just clips of it.

Oh well, if it's not one of the best ones then I'm probably not missing much anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree 100% about Damien. Not so sure about Cassandra - she seemed a bit too upper class to be in OFAH. I know that was her character but even when she was given good lines it didn't always come across very well which I can only put down to Gwyneth Strong's acting. I felt sometimes that she was reading the script off a cue card - same with Tessa Peake-Jones when she was telling Del she was pregnant (maybe it was meant to convey shock but it just came across as though she were reading it off a script). Most of the time however she was much more convincing than Gwyneth Strong and her character was more suited to the programme. Cassandra seemed to me to be a character that should have been in some middle class sitcom like My Family. Some people seem to think the program started going downhill when Cass and Racquel were introduced but that could be because (acting ability aside) they didn't get many good lines and often seemed to be there just to show how Del and Rodney were evolving. At least with Stage Fright Racquel was seen to be more than just Del's wife.

I think John Sullivan struggled to write female characters. I never really thought Cassandra fitted in that well either and i agree Raquel seemed to suit the show better.

Stage Fright was definately Raquel's moment in the sun, she was very funny in that episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not that popular for a good reason FT. It's pretty implausible like it's predecessor |Miami Twice, but the latter was still funny in spite of being farfetched, whereas MNS didn't really cut it. As xmas specials went, the nineties weren't kind to OFAH as even the original final trilogy of '96 was strung out beyond it's natural reach for scheduling purposes, over the christmas eve/day/boxing day. Two episodes would probably have done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I think John Sullivan struggled to write female characters. I never really thought Cassandra fitted in that well either and i agree Raquel seemed to suit the show better.

Stage Fright was definately Raquel's moment in the sun, she was very funny in that episode.
    pjw The Stage fright ep. plot carried on from the one before it, [Chance of a lunchtime] which seemed to be making up the numbers in series 7 with no particular plot of it's own between Sky's the Limit and Stage fright. Series 6 didn't suffer from this problem with the same running time. 50mins
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,956
    Forum Member
    One of the episodes i didn't particularly like was 'The Russians Are Coming' to me it wasn't really funny and i thought it was stupid how 3 grown men were speeding around Peckham and were locking themselves away due to the threat of a Nuclear holocaust. To me it seemed out of character for Del to be worried about something like that and it wasn't as if a Nuclear holocaust was likely to happen anyway. Strange episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw The Stage fright ep. plot carried on from the one before it, [Chance of a lunchtime] which seemed to be making up the numbers in series 7 with no particular plot of it's own between Sky's the Limit and Stage fright. Series 6 didn't suffer from this problem with the same running time. 50mins

if you read back some of my earlier posts you'll find that i myself make the same point you're making.

Tessa Peake-Jones was still good in that episode though