Worst software you've ever used?

12346»

Comments

• HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Creating a simple system in Access need not involve any programming but it certainly involves understanding the concepts of tables, records, fields, forms, queries and reports. An elementary system which only involves one table is fairly easy to construct, but in any system of practical use with multiple tables the relationships between the tables soon become far from simple IMHO.

That's kinda what I meant. You won't get the most out of Access unless you understand the more complex functions of what you can do. But when you do understand that, its amazing at what you can pull off with it.

You can create a single table like it was a spreadsheet and then create an auto-form for viewing the records, but it doesn't come close to what you can do. Which is why I think its a great product. If you know what you are doing, its incredible.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    In which case your lecturer was an idiot!

He must have been. We had to use all the more complex stuff and create a relational database or something. We had to use queries, primary keys, forms, tables and god knows what else. Most people (including me) found the Access part of the assignment really hard.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I never would have used it on my own accord but I was forced to for a university assignment and we only had a few weeks to do it. Don't ask me how the lecturer expected us to be able to use such a complex program in a few weeks! I don't think anyone knew anything about programming. I was studying business, not IT/Computer Science!

hard to run a business without a database.

as you say though - is it the businessman's job to do the work, or just ask the questions?

Access isn't rubbish though. it should be up there with spreadsheets, and word processors as a vitally important business tool.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < Most people (including me) found the Access part of the assignment really hard. >

Now you know why in a reasonably large organisation one of the highest paid ordinary workers is the data analyst. Almost nobody will understand normalisation, even if they can quote the rules for having data in third normal form. But the data analyst must have this understood on day one.
    So don't think that you found it hard because of some failing on the part of yourself or the lecturer. You found it hard because it is hard.
    Forum Member
    hard to run a business without a database.

as you say though - is it the businessman's job to do the work, or just ask the questions?

Access isn't rubbish though. it should be up there with spreadsheets, and word processors as a vitally important business tool.

That's what I would have thought. Creating databases should be left to the IT guys who know what they're doing.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I would have thought. Creating databases should be left to the IT guys who know what they're doing.

I like business people creating databases, they usually make a complete mesh then pay someone like me lots of money to sort it out :)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I like business people creating databases, they usually make a complete mesh then pay someone like me lots of money to sort it out :)

That's why they must be encouraged to keep doing it :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst you sit on your MBP looking like your doing work :D
    Forum Member
    Whilst you sit on your MBP looking like your doing work :D

I do work on my Macs too! I've given presentations at university on them and written essays and everything.
    DotNetWill wrote: »

At least it keeps IT people in work :D
  • Lemon HazeLemon Haze Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Windows ME.

When I worked in tech support for NTL we used to get more calls about ME than all the other Windows OS's at the time put together. A true masterpiece in awfulness :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Till now i never had any bad experienced so that i can say that the software was the worst one. But surely i have some bad experience with some softwares and the worst was with Norton when my PC stopped responding and i had to re-format again.