Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the original televised versions on both BBC 2 and SKy having very different edits to each other...on the BBC they would show sequences SKy didnt and vice versa Sky had all dialogue but some of the violence was edited a lot and scenes edited overall....so was always a treat watching my DVDs for the first time seeing all these extras in there :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    You know what I loved about this show - the variety of season big bads.

Sure, the first two seasons had The Master, Darla, Spike, Drusilla and Angelus and the last one would have the Ubervamps but we'd also get the likes of the Mayor, Faith, Adam, the Initiative, Glory, the nerd trio, Dark Willow, the First Evil, Bringers and Caleb.

Good variety when you think about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    You know what I loved about this show - the variety of season big bads.

Sure, the first two seasons had The Master, Darla, Spike, Drusilla and Angelus and the last one would have the Ubervamps but we'd also get the likes of the Mayor, Faith, Adam, the Initiative, Glory, the nerd trio, Dark Willow, the First Evil, Bringers and Caleb.

Good variety when you think about it.

Buffy had the greatest Big Bads IMO....i loved them...i mean The Master was a simple ac but what a great villian to start with...and te way it evolved over 7 years was simply exemplary! Definitely.....very much of the most iconic villains of all time! :cool:
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didn't really like adam to be honest,athough when he killed the little boy i was quite shocked,would they do that on tv these days ?? suprised the cencors let them get away with it.

glory,the mayor,spike,the master & angelus were brilliant,so well written & acted though out there own seasons.

wasn't to fond of the first though,don't know why it just never clicked with me.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was only a couple scenes that different from the original Sky versions. Most noticeably is in Bargaining in which Willow kills Bambi's mum, the DVD shows a struggle and the knife entering. There are other bits here and there such as in Afterlife when Anya is cutting up her face, if I am correct there is less/no blood in the original Sky version. :eek:

During Storyteller Anya's line about Andrew masturbating in the bathroom is cut completely . I can't remember if Spike saying "Out for a walk, Bitch" was cut or not . I seem to remember the Buffy/ Spike sex / fight scene being edited to look like a fight . The rape scene was also cut . There were definately more cuts but I stopped watching the Tv broadcast after a while as I found them so annoying .
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love that Buffy had different baddies every year. Too many sci-fi shows at the moment tend to have the same season baddies for every season.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I too like the variety of the Big Bads in Buffy but I thought it was a terrible shame they wasted so much time on the Geeks in series 3.

It was almost like they got the ratio the wrong way around, each year seemed to have a minor threat (The anointed one, Spike (Angelus being revealed as the bigger bad by the end of series 2), Mr Trick, Harmony, etc but in series 6 they spent far too much time on the Geeks, which as a real-world, un-mystical menace weren't in any way as interesting as any of the others and therefore lost a lot of potential development of Dark Willow as the bad guy.

This is why series 6 suffers a lot imo, bar the Musical ep (and the ep immediately after it ) and the last 3 eps.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Buffy had the greatest Big Bads IMO....i loved them...i mean The Master was a simple ac but what a great villian to start with...and te way it evolved over 7 years was simply exemplary! Definitely.....very much of the most iconic villains of all time! :cool:

You can also tell that True Blood and Being Human are influenced by that dynamic as well and The Vampire Diaries could do with implementing it as well.
  • Jamie_BeerJamie_Beer Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Have you seen the original pilot with a different actress playing Willow? It just feel so wrong
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    There was only a couple scenes that different from the original Sky versions. Most noticeably is in Bargaining in which Willow kills Bambi's mum, the DVD shows a struggle and the knife entering. There are other bits here and there such as in Afterlife when Anya is cutting up her face, if I am correct there is less/no blood in the original Sky version. :eek:

That episode is still cut on DVD to some extent, I think; the music makes a sudden jump.

I think there's another episode that features a cut on DVD; Giles hot wires his car with actual hot wiring cut as it was classed as an "imitable technique - required in order to attain a category '12' in accordance with BBFC guidelines."

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/buffy-vampire-slayer-dead-mans-party-1970

The silly thing is, of course, that many other episodes have 15 ratings, so why they aimed that particular episode for 12 I have no idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    You can also tell that True Blood and Being Human are influenced by that dynamic as well and The Vampire Diaries could do with implementing it as well.

Totally, you can tell the influence of Buffy on so so so many shows and I can speak for the first two there that efinitely mixing up a "big bad" for each year helps the flow of the show and remains interesting...as for DIaries I have absolutely NO pull to it whatsoever.

As for villains per year I definitely see the influence in so many shows that have had a different main story for each season :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie_Beer wrote: »
    Have you seen the original pilot with a different actress playing Willow? It just feel so wrong

Alyson Hannigan is Willow! I dont like the pilot for that reason...although i do love the scene where Buffy an Xander walk around campus pointing out groups of people around :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too like the variety of the Big Bads in Buffy but I thought it was a terrible shame they wasted so much time on the Geeks in series 3.

It was almost like they got the ratio the wrong way around, each year seemed to have a minor threat (The anointed one, Spike (Angelus being revealed as the bigger bad by the end of series 2), Mr Trick, Harmony, etc but in series 6 they spent far too much time on the Geeks, which as a real-world, un-mystical menace weren't in any way as interesting as any of the others and therefore lost a lot of potential development of Dark Willow as the bad guy.

This is why series 6 suffers a lot imo, bar the Musical ep (and the ep immediately after it ) and the last 3 eps.

Series 6 was an interesting one because all season we thought the Geeks would be the baddies, but it all changed and Willow ended up being a surprise baddie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely...i LOVED the twist with season 6....i mean the Nerd Trio were only there for minor baddies doing no good...they were not prominent enough to genuinely be a force of nature like previous Baddies have...they were there for a lot of WTF moments and also along with the season theme, they learnt that not all of life is fun and games that they would have obstacles too...brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Season 6. It was the first season of the show i ever saw and I just liked the path that all the characters went into. I mean Spike and buffy getting it on? Never in a million years would see that happening if you refer to earlier seasons but their relationship is one of my fav storylines. In some ways it was very much like a domestic abuse storyline because their relationship was based on violence, spike mentally abusing Buffy and of course nearly raping her. He had more control over her than anyone ever had and that was interesting to see this tough super woman suddenly succumb to a vampire she has detested from the start. It was truly great to watch at the time and just as amazing to watch now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ totally, i think season 6 really went great lengths to bring raw drama into the mix just as much as the sueprnatural elements....and while i loved Buffy & Angel i did love how intense Spuffy was...i mean damn he nearly ruined her forever and vice versa she proved how far SPike could come (pardon the pun) so close to damaging her leading for his quest for a soul...very intense and powerful. And again a strong season of twists throughout.

Literally not one single moment from episode 1 to 144 where the show lost steam and its apce...every season is so unique and strong as each other :cool:
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    During Storyteller Anya's line about Andrew masturbating in the bathroom is cut completely . I can't remember if Spike saying "Out for a walk, Bitch" was cut or not . I seem to remember the Buffy/ Spike sex / fight scene being edited to look like a fight . The rape scene was also cut . There were definately more cuts but I stopped watching the Tv broadcast after a while as I found them so annoying .

Sky hardly ever made cuts. If they did, it was generally for things like a headbutt.

Language almost always stayed in, out for a walk bitch was definitely there. The BBC however almost always cut the swears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ totally, i think season 6 really went great lengths to bring raw drama into the mix just as much as the sueprnatural elements....and while i loved Buffy & Angel i did love how intense Spuffy was...i mean damn he nearly ruined her forever and vice versa she proved how far SPike could come (pardon the pun) so close to damaging her leading for his quest for a soul...very intense and powerful. And again a strong season of twists throughout.

Literally not one single moment from episode 1 to 144 where the show lost steam and its apce...every season is so unique and strong as each other :cool:

I agree, Buffy never went downhill for me. Not like other sci-fi shows I still love but the later seasons become rather poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Buffy never went downhill for me. Not like other sci-fi shows I still love but the later seasons become rather poor.

Definitely, unfortunately that is the case for a lot of shows.

TIs why I miss it so :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Sky hardly ever made cuts. If they did, it was generally for things like a headbutt.

Language almost always stayed in, out for a walk bitch was definitely there. The BBC however almost always cut the swears.

Mind you there were moments where the Beeb would show more violence at times than Sky did....i tink in WHo Are You they had shown more of Faith (as Buffy) hitting the cr"p out of Buffy (as Faith) in the church scene and in Bring On The Night it was the first time i saw Buffy thrown at a wall TWICE after SKy only had show Buffy thrown through the wall the second time i was like :eek: THAT happened too!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Series 6 was an interesting one because all season we thought the Geeks would be the baddies, but it all changed and Willow ended up being a surprise baddie.

I disagree. It was made fairly clear that Willow was going to go bad, especially during all the awful magic=crack plot.

Season 6 is my least favourite by quite some distance. A couple of choice episodes aside, I didn't enjoy it at all.

And IMHO Alyson Hannigan's acting as Dark Willow was awful. I just didn't buy. Perhaps she was too good at acting as normal Willow that the change was too jarring.
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I disagree. It was made fairly clear that Willow was going to go bad, especially during all the awful magic=crack plot.

Season 6 is my least favourite by quite some distance. A couple of choice episodes aside, I didn't enjoy it at all.

And IMHO Alyson Hannigan's acting as Dark Willow was awful. I just didn't buy. Perhaps she was too good at acting as normal Willow that the change was too jarring.

Same season 6 is by far my least fav, i'm not saying i didn't enjoy it i just think it was a little too depressing, the trio saved it though.

Also am i the only one that wasn't that big a fan of Willow ? she was fine in series 1,2 and 3 but after that she really got on my nerves at times. She also does this weird breathing thing when she talks, it's irritating :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh NO NO NO cant stand bashing :( WIllow is brilliant as both good and evil :) i felt the idea of her SNAP from good/healing nature in Seeing Red to evil in VIlians was very natural and expertly done.

I mean when your loved one is shot in front of you the world doesnt matter anymore and ALy did expert job with that...and personally i had NO idea she would be the main villian when i first saw it....had felt something would be linked to the Trio...but not like that at all...but damn it was genius

Each to their own i guess....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    Same season 6 is by far my least fav, i'm not saying i didn't enjoy it i just think it was a little too depressing, the trio saved it though.

Also am i the only one that wasn't that big a fan of Willow ? she was fine in series 1,2 and 3 but after that she really got on my nerves at times. She also does this weird breathing thing when she talks, it's irritating :p

No, I wasn't a big fan especially when she went bad. Didn't really like Faith that much either.

I'm going to have to watch all of Buffy and Angel again. There goes my social life for the next few weeks! :rolleyes:
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I adore Season 6. It was the first season of the show i ever saw and I just liked the path that all the characters went into. I mean Spike and buffy getting it on? Never in a million years would see that happening if you refer to earlier seasons but their relationship is one of my fav storylines. In some ways it was very much like a domestic abuse storyline because their relationship was based on violence, spike mentally abusing Buffy and of course nearly raping her. He had more control over her than anyone ever had and that was interesting to see this tough super woman suddenly succumb to a vampire she has detested from the start. It was truly great to watch at the time and just as amazing to watch now.

I'm not sure I saw it like that. Buffy herself said that she was the one using Spike. Spike was head over heels in love with her but she had no affection for him at all. He would do anything for her but she kept spurning his advances. Then, one day, she practically jumped him.

She initiated the relationship and she was the one who ended it when she saw that she was just using him. After she came back from the dead she never really felt part of the world and she used Spike as a means to make her feel again. Of, course the attempted rape was another matter but for the bulk of that relationship the control was all in Buffy's hands.